Community Discussions and Support
Recover deleted space for unix folders

There is a work-around for this.

Move all the messages in your Unix folder to an empty normal folder - that will only move messages that have not been "deleted"
Delete the Unix folder and create a new one with the same name as previously.
Move the messages back from the normal folder to the (new) Unix folder.

Bob

There is a work-around for this. Move all the messages in your Unix folder to an empty normal folder - that will only move messages that have not been "deleted" Delete the Unix folder and create a new one with the same name as previously. Move the messages back from the normal folder to the (new) Unix folder. Bob

I have a number of unix mail folders created by Pegasus mail for the purpose of integrating with external programs. (Gmail Mail Uploader).

After processing the folders I would like to delete all messages from the file and do so by simply selecting all messages, pressing delete and then choosing "recover deleted space" from the folders context menu.

Unfortunately, the deleted space doesn't seem to get recovered and the next time I use the gmail mail uploader the deleted messages are uploaded again since they exist in the mbx file.

Is this a known limitatation or a bug?

<p>I have a number of unix mail folders created by Pegasus mail for the purpose of integrating with external programs. (Gmail Mail Uploader).</p><p>After processing the folders I would like to delete all messages from the file and do so by simply selecting all messages, pressing delete and then choosing "recover deleted space" from the folders context menu.</p><p>Unfortunately, the deleted space doesn't seem to get recovered and the next time I use the gmail mail uploader the deleted messages are uploaded again since they exist in the mbx file.</p><p>Is this a known limitatation or a bug?  </p><p> </p><p> </p>

You used the words MBX and if you are using MBX folder there can be no deletion and recovery of deleted space.

<p>You used the words MBX and if you are using MBX folder there can be no deletion and recovery of deleted space.</p><p> </p>

Yes, a unix folder (mbx) is what I'm using so I'll just have to find another workflow then.

Thanks for the reply.

<p>Yes, a unix folder (mbx) is what I'm using so I'll just have to find another workflow then. </p><p>Thanks for the reply. </p><p> </p>

[quote user="hawk"]Is this a known limitatation or a bug?[/quote]

A bit of both - it's code I've never got around to writing. The original intention for the unix mailbox format was simply as a transition format - it wasn't really intended for day-to-day use (because it's such a poor format in almost every way). I guess I got a little caught out by people using it as a routine format.

Recovering deleted space is very arduous, tedious code, and I've simple never as yet been able to force myself to sit down and write it. It will happen in due course, though.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="hawk"]Is this a known limitatation or a bug?[/quote] A bit of both - it's code I've never got around to writing. The original intention for the unix mailbox format was simply as a transition format - it wasn't really intended for day-to-day use (because it's such a poor format in almost every way). I guess I got a little caught out by people using it as a routine format. Recovering deleted space is very arduous, tedious code, and I've simple never as yet been able to force myself to sit down and write it. It will happen in due course, though. Cheers! -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft