Extension development
Extended Daemon Interface Documentation

Please, please, please, please :D
If you could provide even basic documentation so we can start tinkering!

Thanks for such a great product

Roberto Nisthal

<p>Please, please, please, please :D If you could provide even basic documentation so we can start tinkering!</p><p> Thanks for such a great product</p><p>Roberto Nisthal  </p>

Hi,

daemon.txt in the Mercury 4.51 distribution doesn't appear to be any different to the one in the 4.01 distribution.  How does the included Greywall work?  There doesn't seem to be anything describing manipulating MercuryS in the docs, so presumably something is new.  If that's true, where might we find docs for this improved interface?  Is it necessary to have anything more than is contained in the distribution to use the new SMTP server interfaces, or was Greywall developed in testing privately?

Cheers,

Sabahattin

http://sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/

--

TRAP address below - no mail please!

feedme@yamta.org

<P>Hi,</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>daemon.txt in the Mercury 4.51 distribution doesn't appear to be any different to the one in the 4.01 distribution.  How does the included Greywall work?  There doesn't seem to be anything describing manipulating MercuryS in the docs, so presumably something is new.  If that's true, where might we find docs for this improved interface?  Is it necessary to have anything more than is contained in the distribution to use the new SMTP server interfaces, or was Greywall developed in testing privately?</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Cheers,</P> <P>Sabahattin</P> <P><A href="http://sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/">http://sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/</A></P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>-- </P> <P>TRAP address below - no mail please!</P> <P><A href="mailto:feedme@yamta.org">feedme@yamta.org</A></P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Run the GraywallSetup.exe program (with Mercury shut down) and accept the defaults. It has cut down about 70% of the inward mail traffic in my server.
The insatller will do the necessary changes to the DAEMONS.INI

It all works very elegantly!

Restart Mercury and watch MercuryS/Graywall denying connections to unknown hosts. Legitimate host will come back a few minutes later to retry and Graywall will recognise them as legitimate. Spam zombies have millions of messages to deliver and so don't bother with retries! 

If you feel the need to change any of the settings for Graywall, it can be configured in Mercury > Configuration > GrayWall where all the settings are.

<p>Run the GraywallSetup.exe program (with Mercury shut down) and accept the defaults. It has cut down about 70% of the inward mail traffic in my server. The insatller will do the necessary changes to the DAEMONS.INI</p><p>It all works very elegantly!</p><p>Restart Mercury and watch MercuryS/Graywall denying connections to unknown hosts. Legitimate host will come back a few minutes later to retry and Graywall will recognise them as legitimate. Spam zombies have millions of messages to deliver and so don't bother with retries! </p><p>If you feel the need to change any of the settings for Graywall, it can be configured in Mercury > Configuration > GrayWall where all the settings are.</p><p> </p>

[quote user="Sebby"]

daemon.txt in the Mercury 4.51 distribution doesn't appear to be any different to the one in the 4.01 distribution.  How does the included Greywall work?  There doesn't seem to be anything describing manipulating MercuryS in the docs, so presumably something is new.  If that's true, where might we find docs for this improved interface?  Is it necessary to have anything more than is contained in the distribution to use the new SMTP server interfaces, or was Greywall developed in testing privately?

[/quote]

GreyWall uses a new event-notification interface for Daemons: in this, every phase of an incoming SMTP transaction can be examined and influenced by a Daemon (or Daemons) in real time; so, if a Daemon doesn't like a particular parameter to MAIL FROM:, it can instruct MercuryS to reject it and blacklist the connection... Or if a Daemon wanted to add a new ESMTP command to MercuryS, it could easily do so by altering the return to EHLO and implementing the command itself.

The Daemon interface has grown hugely from the documentation provided with the program, which is now very old - there 's a whole lot of stuff not covered in there. This is entirely because, like most programmers, I really hate doing documentation, and I'm always so swamped with work that updating these particular docs has just never bubbled to the top of the pot.

I'm not going to make promises I know I probably can't keep, so I'm not going to tell you that I'll get straight onto updating these docs... But I *am* aware that it's something that really *should* be done sooner rather than later, so I'll see if I can make some time (like I say, though, no promises).

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="Sebby"]<p>daemon.txt in the Mercury 4.51 distribution doesn't appear to be any different to the one in the 4.01 distribution.  How does the included Greywall work?  There doesn't seem to be anything describing manipulating MercuryS in the docs, so presumably something is new.  If that's true, where might we find docs for this improved interface?  Is it necessary to have anything more than is contained in the distribution to use the new SMTP server interfaces, or was Greywall developed in testing privately?</p>[/quote] GreyWall uses a new event-notification interface for Daemons: in this, every phase of an incoming SMTP transaction can be examined and influenced by a Daemon (or Daemons) in real time; so, if a Daemon doesn't like a particular parameter to MAIL FROM:, it can instruct MercuryS to reject it and blacklist the connection... Or if a Daemon wanted to add a new ESMTP command to MercuryS, it could easily do so by altering the return to EHLO and implementing the command itself. The Daemon interface has grown hugely from the documentation provided with the program, which is now very old - there 's a whole lot of stuff not covered in there. This is entirely because, like most programmers, I really hate doing documentation, and I'm always so swamped with work that updating these particular docs has just never bubbled to the top of the pot. I'm not going to make promises I know I probably can't keep, so I'm not going to tell you that I'll get straight onto updating these docs... But I *am* aware that it's something that really *should* be done sooner rather than later, so I'll see if I can make some time (like I say, though, no promises). Cheers! -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft