Community Discussions and Support
Unable to send Messages following Win XP update with SP3 - using PM v 4.51

The problem appeared to be related to WINSOCK.DLL in the list could apparently have been due to the Service Pack 3 installation, nothing to do with PM operation.  It seems the "problem" is known from a Google search and a number of solutions were offered mainly for installations of SP2.

Can't connect to internet [Solved/Closed]
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-9657-can-t-connect-to-internet
http://en.kioskea.net/s/Winsock.dll+problem+after+installing+win+xp+sp3

How to Troubleshoot and Fix Windows XP SP2
Limited or No Connectivity Error Message
http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml

Repair Windows XP TCP Network Settings With WinSock XP Fix Utility
http://www.watchingthenet.com/repair-windows-xp-tcp-network-settings-with-winsock-xp-fix-utility.html

From reading the pages the fact that I re-booted the machine may have reset the TCP/IP stack.  There is even a MS patch (KB884020) quoted for one version of the problem with SP2.   It seems the glitch was an operating system fault.

Rodney Fry

<p>The problem appeared to be related to WINSOCK.DLL in the list could apparently have been due to the Service Pack 3 installation, nothing to do with PM operation.  It seems the "problem" is known from a Google search and a number of solutions were offered mainly for installations of SP2.</p><p><span style="font-style: italic;">Can't connect to internet [Solved/Closed]</span> http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-9657-can-t-connect-to-internet http://en.kioskea.net/s/Winsock.dll+problem+after+installing+win+xp+sp3 </p><p><span style="font-style: italic;">How to Troubleshoot and Fix Windows XP SP2</span> Limited or No Connectivity Error Message http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtml <span style="font-style: italic;">Repair Windows XP TCP Network Settings With WinSock XP Fix Utility</span> http://www.watchingthenet.com/repair-windows-xp-tcp-network-settings-with-winsock-xp-fix-utility.html</p><p>From reading the pages the fact that I re-booted the machine may have reset the TCP/IP stack.  There is even a MS patch (KB884020) quoted for one version of the problem with SP2.   It seems the glitch was an operating system fault.</p><p> Rodney Fry </p><p> </p>

I have at last decided to update my system Win XP Pro SP2 with SP3.   This was done successfully and no problems indicated.   All applications work, Firefox runs and I can see the internet, so Ethernet link to router is OK.   I have not made any changes to PM.

I can receive messages with PM from my default ISP (btinternet.com) and also the standby ISP (12freeukisp.co.uk).   However, for some reason PM will not transmit messages via either ISP and I get a "Mail Delivery Failure" message as

Delivery has failed on the enclosed message for the following
reasons reported either by the mail delivery system on the mail
relay host or by the local TCP/IP transport module:

*** TCP/IP error while processing job ***
   A network error has occurred while WinPMail attempted to send
   your message. This error could be caused by many conditions,
   including the following:
     * The remote host may have gone down.
     * Your network may have been broken or gone down.
     * You may have a configuration problem in your WINSOCK.DLL.
     * If running on a SLIP line, you may have experienced a
       timeout (increase the value in WinPMail's Network Config.
       Dialog), or the phone line may have gone down or suffered
       from excessive line noise.
   WinPMail will requeue your message and try again later.

Rebooting the system and trying again sometime later PM appeared to be able to send messages as well.   I have done nothing to the system.     However, I have just tried once more and the Network or Protocol Error Message appeared again saying, Description of error: Handshake error: the server has either shut down the connection unexpectedly or has returned a response Pegasusmail cannot recognise.   The trace message cut and pasted from the window is

[*] Connection established to 217.146.188.192
>> 0038 220 smtp819.mail.ird.yahoo.com ESMTP
<< 0021 EHLO [192.168.1.64]
>> 0050 421 Service not available ; Closing transmission

Was this a temporary glitch or something that might appear again?   In the above Mail Delivery Failure Message the only relevant item would seem to be the WINSOCK.DLL?    I would appreciate any feedback.

I have my Win98SE laptop running and wireless linked to the router and running PM v4.51 - this seems to be working fine so I don't think it is an ISP server problem.

Thanks

Rodney Fry

&lt;p&gt; I have at last decided to update my system Win XP Pro SP2 with SP3.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; This was done successfully and no problems indicated.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; All applications work, Firefox runs and I can see the internet, so Ethernet link to router is OK.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; I have not made any changes to PM. I can receive messages with PM from my default ISP (btinternet.com) and also the standby ISP (12freeukisp.co.uk).&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; However, for some reason PM will not transmit messages via either ISP and I get a &quot;Mail Delivery Failure&quot; message as &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;i&gt;Delivery has failed on the enclosed message for the following reasons reported either by the mail delivery system on the mail relay host or by the local TCP/IP transport module: &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; *** TCP/IP error while processing job *** &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; A network error has occurred while WinPMail attempted to send &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; your message. This error could be caused by many conditions, &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; including the following: &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; * The remote host may have gone down. &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; * Your network may have been broken or gone down. &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; * You may have a configuration problem in your WINSOCK.DLL. &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; * If running on a SLIP line, you may have experienced a &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; timeout (increase the value in WinPMail&#039;s Network Config. &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Dialog), or the phone line may have gone down or suffered &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; from excessive line noise. &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; WinPMail will requeue your message and try again later.&lt;/i&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Rebooting the system and trying again sometime later PM appeared to be able to send messages as well.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; I have done nothing to the system.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp; However, I have just tried once more and the Network or Protocol Error Message appeared again saying, &lt;i&gt;Description of error: Handshake error: the server has either shut down the connection unexpectedly or has returned a response Pegasusmail cannot recognise&lt;/i&gt;.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; The trace message cut and pasted from the window is &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;i&gt;[*] Connection established to 217.146.188.192 &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 0038 220 smtp819.mail.ird.yahoo.com ESMTP &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 0021 EHLO [192.168.1.64] &amp;gt;&amp;gt; 0050 421 Service not available ; Closing transmission&lt;/i&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; Was this a temporary glitch or something that might appear again?&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; In the above Mail Delivery Failure Message the only relevant item would seem to be the WINSOCK.DLL?&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; I would appreciate any feedback.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I have my Win98SE laptop running and wireless linked to the router and running PM v4.51 - this seems to be working fine so I don&#039;t think it is an ISP server problem. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Thanks&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Rodney Fry &lt;/p&gt;

It has just ocurred to me that when I installed the Sevice Pack 3 I had the router switched off (not in standby), and the AV utility disabled, of course.   That should not have caused a problem?

Rodney Fry

&lt;p&gt;It has just ocurred to me that when I installed the Sevice Pack 3 I had the router switched off (not in standby), and the AV utility disabled, of course.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; That should not have caused a problem?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Rodney Fry &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft