Community Discussions and Support
Pmail causes error message

Well, I think the state.pmj did the trick. I tried the hiearch and the ini to no avail but seem to have had success with the state.pmj and I couldn't find any .lck files to delete. I am still having problems in that Pmail will not play a sound when new mail arrives I have the radio box checked in the prefs and am using this command line E:\Pmail\Programs\winpm-32.exe  -Z 512 -A. Also, I am not able to use the send link by email in IE. Pmail is set for the default mailer.

Thanks for your help getting the main problem fixed.

<P>Well, I think the state.pmj did the trick. I tried the hiearch and the ini to no avail but seem to have had success with the state.pmj and I couldn't find any .lck files to delete. I am still having problems in that Pmail will not play a sound when new mail arrives I have the radio box checked in the prefs and am using this command line E:\Pmail\Programs\winpm-32.exe  -Z 512 -A. Also, I am not able to use the send link by email in IE. Pmail is set for the default mailer.</P> <P>Thanks for your help getting the main problem fixed.</P>

Hi all, I am new to this forum but have been using Pmail for many years. I have started having a problem when I close the program it almost always gives me an error message approx. 3 sec. after I close the program.

Pegasus Mail for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience

Here is the information from the Pmail info it help/about Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows Copyright (C) 1992-2006, David Harris, all rights reserved Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz. WinPMail version: Version 4.41 (Win32), Jul 16 2006 Language resources: Standard UK English resource set Extension Manager version: 1.13 Operating mode: Standalone User name and ID: Single-user mode, 0 Windows version: 5.1 Windows flag word: 0 WINPMAIL.EXE directory: E:\Pmail\Programs Home mailbox location: E:\PMAIL\MAIL New mailbox location: E:\Pmail\MAIL TMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Don\LOCALS~1\Temp TEMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Don\LOCALS~1\Temp LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N NetWare MHS support: N, N, N Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0 - WINSOCK path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.DLL Commandline: -A Active -Z options: 32768 PMR variable: (None) PML variable: (None) MAI variable: (None) NB variable: (None) Windows XP Pro sp2

Also, my send to link in ie7 quit working. I have tried reinstalling and repairing but use the same mailbox location.

Hope someone can help although it is more of an annoyance than a problem, I just don't want it to turn into a problem.

Thanks

<P>Hi all, I am new to this forum but have been using Pmail for many years. I have started having a problem when I close the program it almost always gives me an error message approx. 3 sec. after I close the program. </P> <P>Pegasus Mail for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience </P> <P>Here is the information from the Pmail info it help/about Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows Copyright (C) 1992-2006, David Harris, all rights reserved Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz. WinPMail version: Version 4.41 (Win32), Jul 16 2006 Language resources: Standard UK English resource set Extension Manager version: 1.13 Operating mode: Standalone User name and ID: Single-user mode, 0 Windows version: 5.1 Windows flag word: 0 WINPMAIL.EXE directory: E:\Pmail\Programs Home mailbox location: E:\PMAIL\MAIL New mailbox location: E:\Pmail\MAIL TMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Don\LOCALS~1\Temp TEMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\Don\LOCALS~1\Temp LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N NetWare MHS support: N, N, N Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0 - WINSOCK path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.DLL Commandline: -A Active -Z options: 32768 PMR variable: (None) PML variable: (None) MAI variable: (None) NB variable: (None) Windows XP Pro sp2 </P> <P> Also, my send to link in ie7 quit working. I have tried reinstalling and repairing but use the same mailbox location.</P> <P>Hope someone can help although it is more of an annoyance than a problem, I just don't want it to turn into a problem. </P> <P>Thanks </P>

Hello!

- Do you get any more concrete error message? Often, the error message mentions a file or a program - this may be a point to start from in order to find the culprit.

- Do you see any pattern in the crashes? For example: was Pegasus Mail doing a POP3-check before crashing, or did you the same action every time Pegasus Mail crashes?

- Do you have sufficient rights for the TEMP-directory? When Pegasus Mail closes, it usually deletes the files it created in the TEMP-directory; if you do not have the rights tot delete messages from the TEMP-directory, this might be a problem.

<p> </p><p>Hello!</p><p> </p><p>- Do you get any more concrete error message? Often, the error message mentions a file or a program - this may be a point to start from in order to find the culprit.</p><p>- Do you see any pattern in the crashes? For example: was Pegasus Mail doing a POP3-check before crashing, or did you the same action every time Pegasus Mail crashes?</p><p>- Do you have sufficient rights for the TEMP-directory? When Pegasus Mail closes, it usually deletes the files it created in the TEMP-directory; if you do not have the rights tot delete messages from the TEMP-directory, this might be a problem.</p><p> </p>

First, thank you for your reply.

There isn't any specific information on the error message. I could send you what the error message reporting module sends to Microsoft, although I have looked at that and it dosn't say much to me.

There isn't any pattern what so ever. I have tried to see if it happens only when I delete a message or move them from folder to folder. I have turned off filtering and spamhalter. It definately isn't when the POP3 is doing it's thing cause I know that can make it crash.

I have administrator privelages so my rights should be sufficent.

Not much help eh!

Thanks

Don

<P>First, thank you for your reply.</P> <P>There isn't any specific information on the error message. I could send you what the error message reporting module sends to Microsoft, although I have looked at that and it dosn't say much to me.</P> <P>There isn't any pattern what so ever. I have tried to see if it happens only when I delete a message or move them from folder to folder. I have turned off filtering and spamhalter. It definately isn't when the POP3 is doing it's thing cause I know that can make it crash.</P> <P> I have administrator privelages so my rights should be sufficent.</P> <P>Not much help eh!</P> <P> Thanks</P> <P>Don</P>

[quote user="nodyarg"]

First, thank you for your reply.

There isn't any specific information on the error message. I could send you what the error message reporting module sends to Microsoft, although I have looked at that and it dosn't say much to me.

There isn't any pattern what so ever. I have tried to see if it happens only when I delete a message or move them from folder to folder. I have turned off filtering and spamhalter. It definately isn't when the POP3 is doing it's thing cause I know that can make it crash.

I have administrator privelages so my rights should be sufficent.

Not much help eh!

Thanks

Don

[/quote]

1.    Have you tried  manually deleting your deleted messages folder before closing?

2.   Have you looked at your hierarch.pm to verify there is no corruption?

3.   Have you looked through your PMail.ini for signs of corruption.

4.    Can you manually delete the *.lck files?

[quote user="nodyarg"]<p>First, thank you for your reply.</p> <p>There isn't any specific information on the error message. I could send you what the error message reporting module sends to Microsoft, although I have looked at that and it dosn't say much to me.</p> <p>There isn't any pattern what so ever. I have tried to see if it happens only when I delete a message or move them from folder to folder. I have turned off filtering and spamhalter. It definately isn't when the POP3 is doing it's thing cause I know that can make it crash.</p> <p> I have administrator privelages so my rights should be sufficent.</p> <p>Not much help eh!</p> <p> Thanks</p> <p>Don</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>1.    Have you tried  manually deleting your deleted messages folder before closing?</p><p>2.   Have you looked at your hierarch.pm to verify there is no corruption?</p><p>3.   Have you looked through your PMail.ini for signs of corruption.</p><p>4.    Can you manually delete the *.lck files?</p><p>   </p><p> </p>

Tried deleting the deleted messages folder manually and so far nothing is different. I had previously tried un checking the preserve deleted messages and that didn't make a difference either.

Don't really know what to look for in the hierarch.pm but there are several entries like this 0,0,"PD7X0AN0:7518:FOL04D13","4ECD143:My mailbox",Name_Unavailable the difference being the Name_Unavailable.

Dosn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary in the ini file either.

No problem deleting .lck files

<P>Tried deleting the deleted messages folder manually and so far nothing is different. I had previously tried un checking the preserve deleted messages and that didn't make a difference either.</P> <P>Don't really know what to look for in the hierarch.pm but there are several entries like this 0,0,"PD7X0AN0:7518:FOL04D13","4ECD143:My mailbox",Name_Unavailable the difference being the Name_Unavailable.</P> <P>Dosn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary in the ini file either.</P> <P>No problem deleting .lck files</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="nodyarg"]

Tried deleting the deleted messages folder manually and so far nothing is different. I had previously tried un checking the preserve deleted messages and that didn't make a difference either.

Don't really know what to look for in the hierarch.pm but there are several entries like this 0,0,"PD7X0AN0:7518:FOL04D13","4ECD143:My mailbox",Name_Unavailable the difference being the Name_Unavailable.

Dosn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary in the ini file either.

No problem deleting .lck files

[/quote]

You can try opening the hierarch.pm file with Notepad or any ASCII type editor and deleting all of the lines with the name unavailable.  If nothing else this will make the saving of this file a bit faster.  make sure yuo are not running WinPMail when you are editing this file.  FWIW, that failure message after you close Pegasus Mail is certainly caused by one of the common tasks that is done on closing failing.

1.   Delete the deleted messages folder.

2.   Write the hierarch.pm from memory to the file.

3.   Write the pmail.ini to a file.

4.    Write the state.pmj to a file.

5.   Delete the *.lck file.

All of these will also require write access to the TEMP directory and must not be interfered with by your on-access anti-virus software.

[quote user="nodyarg"]<p>Tried deleting the deleted messages folder manually and so far nothing is different. I had previously tried un checking the preserve deleted messages and that didn't make a difference either.</p> <p>Don't really know what to look for in the hierarch.pm but there are several entries like this 0,0,"PD7X0AN0:7518:FOL04D13","4ECD143:My mailbox",Name_Unavailable the difference being the Name_Unavailable.</p> <p>Dosn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary in the ini file either.</p> <p>No problem deleting .lck files</p><p> [/quote]</p><p> You can try opening the hierarch.pm file with Notepad or any ASCII type editor and deleting all of the lines with the name unavailable.  If nothing else this will make the saving of this file a bit faster.  make sure yuo are not running WinPMail when you are editing this file.  FWIW, that failure message after you close Pegasus Mail is certainly caused by one of the common tasks that is done on closing failing.</p><p>1.   Delete the deleted messages folder.</p><p>2.   Write the hierarch.pm from memory to the file.</p><p>3.   Write the pmail.ini to a file.</p><p>4.    Write the state.pmj to a file. 5.   Delete the *.lck file.</p><p>All of these will also require write access to the TEMP directory and must not be interfered with by your on-access anti-virus software.</p><p> </p><p>  </p><p>  </p>

Well, I changed my delete setting and unchecked Preserve deleted message until Pegasus Mail closes and so far it seems to have taken care of the problem. If that is the case is there anything that I can do to fix the problem instead of the workaround. I sometimes have to go and retrieve messages from the deleted folder after mistakenly deleting them. Can they be sent to the recycle bin?

I will keep you posted as to what I find.

Thanks again for all your time and help.

Don in Moab Utah USA

<P>Well, I changed my delete setting and unchecked Preserve deleted message until Pegasus Mail closes and so far it seems to have taken care of the problem. If that is the case is there anything that I can do to fix the problem instead of the workaround. I sometimes have to go and retrieve messages from the deleted folder after mistakenly deleting them. Can they be sent to the recycle bin?</P> <P>I will keep you posted as to what I find.</P> <P> Thanks again for all your time and help.</P> <P>Don in Moab Utah USA</P>

[quote user="nodyarg"]

Well, I changed my delete setting and unchecked Preserve deleted message until Pegasus Mail closes and so far it seems to have taken care of the problem. If that is the case is there anything that I can do to fix the problem instead of the workaround. I sometimes have to go and retrieve messages from the deleted folder after mistakenly deleting them. Can they be sent to the recycle bin?

I will keep you posted as to what I find.

Thanks again for all your time and help.

Don in Moab Utah USA

[/quote]

Still looks like there is something wrong with the hierarch.pm and you have a bad entry for the deleted messages folder in the file.  If you are not using an extensive tray structure then I would simply delete the hierarch.pm when WinPMail is not running and try again.  If you are using a large tray structure then you may want to look through the hierarch.pm and delete any line with a reference to a deleted messages folder.  I would recommend you work on the file only after making a backup copy.

[quote user="nodyarg"]<p>Well, I changed my delete setting and unchecked Preserve deleted message until Pegasus Mail closes and so far it seems to have taken care of the problem. If that is the case is there anything that I can do to fix the problem instead of the workaround. I sometimes have to go and retrieve messages from the deleted folder after mistakenly deleting them. Can they be sent to the recycle bin?</p> <p>I will keep you posted as to what I find.</p> <p> Thanks again for all your time and help.</p> <p>Don in Moab Utah USA</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Still looks like there is something wrong with the hierarch.pm and you have a bad entry for the deleted messages folder in the file.  If you are not using an extensive tray structure then I would simply delete the hierarch.pm when WinPMail is not running and try again.  If you are using a large tray structure then you may want to look through the hierarch.pm and delete any line with a reference to a deleted messages folder.  I would recommend you work on the file only after making a backup copy. </p><p> </p><p>   </p>

Ok, I will try as you suggested. It is still crashing. I probably have a hundred and fifty or so folders so I will rename the hierarch.pm and see what happens, if the crashing stops then I will just have to rearrange the folders, if not I should be able to just reinstate the old hierarch.pm folder. Right?

Ok, I will try as you suggested. It is still crashing. I probably have a hundred and fifty or so folders so I will rename the hierarch.pm and see what happens, if the crashing stops then I will just have to rearrange the folders, if not I should be able to just reinstate the old hierarch.pm folder. Right?

[quote user="nodyarg"]Ok, I will try as you suggested. It is still crashing. I probably have a hundred and fifty or so folders so I will rename the hierarch.pm and see what happens, if the crashing stops then I will just have to rearrange the folders, if not I should be able to just reinstate the old hierarch.pm folder. Right?[/quote]

Correct, but make sure WinPMail is not running when you do this. 

<p>[quote user="nodyarg"]Ok, I will try as you suggested. It is still crashing. I probably have a hundred and fifty or so folders so I will rename the hierarch.pm and see what happens, if the crashing stops then I will just have to rearrange the folders, if not I should be able to just reinstate the old hierarch.pm folder. Right?[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Correct, but make sure WinPMail is not running when you do this. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft