Community Discussions and Support
Roaming

We have been trying it out and that's why I'm asking these questions. Thanks for your help. We'll look elsewhere.

sam

<P>We have been trying it out and that's why I'm asking these questions. Thanks for your help. We'll look elsewhere.</P> <P>sam</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

I'm a little unclear about Roaming features even in the Manual. I understand how Roaming allows you to run PMail on any other machine. But can I migrate my MAIL from my desktop installation into a flashdrive "roam" installation and then use that flash drive on any other machine? Will I be able to see my maila nd my identities.?

I'm a little unclear about Roaming features even in the Manual. I understand how Roaming allows you to run PMail on any other machine. But can I migrate my MAIL from my desktop installation into a flashdrive "roam" installation and then use that flash drive on any other machine? Will I be able to see my maila nd my identities.?

On 26 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <> wrote:

> I'm a little unclear about Roaming features even in the
> Manual. I understand how Roaming allows you to run PMail on
> any other machine. But can I migrate my MAIL from my desktop
> installation into a flashdrive "roam" installation and then
> use that flash drive on any other machine? Will I be able to
> see my mail and my identities.?

1.    Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and note the HOME and NEW mail directories.  They will probably be the same.

2.    Install WinPMail to the flash drive with the -ROAM option.

3.    Create a shortcut on the flash drive pointing the the WinPMail program and use the -ROAM command line option.

4.    Run the program and use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and note the HOME and NEW mail directory spec.

5.    Copy everything from your current HOME mail directory except the pmail.ini to the home mail directory on the flash drive.  Of course you must make sure that you have enough space on the flash drive for the folders you are copying.

On 26 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; I&#039;m a little unclear about Roaming features even in the &amp;gt; Manual. I understand how Roaming allows you to run PMail on &amp;gt; any other machine. But can I migrate my MAIL from my desktop &amp;gt; installation into a flashdrive &quot;roam&quot; installation and then &amp;gt; use that flash drive on any other machine? Will I be able to &amp;gt; see my mail and my identities.? 1.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and note the HOME and NEW mail directories.&amp;nbsp; They will probably be the same. 2.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;Install WinPMail to the flash drive with the -ROAM option. 3.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;Create a shortcut on the flash drive pointing the the WinPMail program and use the -ROAM command line option. 4.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;Run the program and use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and note the HOME and NEW mail directory spec. 5.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;Copy everything from your current HOME mail directory except the pmail.ini to the home mail directory on the flash drive.&amp;nbsp; Of course you must make sure that you have enough space on the flash drive for the folders you are copying.

Thanks much, I understand how to migrate PMail... I've done it over the years with many machines. What you're describing with -ROAM will get my mail folders on to a flash drive but not the identities. Right? Which leads to another question--how does the ROAM switch function? Does it carry code that allows the pmail.ini file to be changed depending on into which machine the drive is plugged and Windows assigns a different drive letter? I assume that's what it does, otherwise it wouldn't work. I assume it changes the "general" and "info" properties of the pmail.ini file but not the identities. Please advise.

Thanks much, I understand how to migrate PMail... I&#039;ve done it over the years with many machines. What you&#039;re describing with -ROAM will get my mail folders on to a flash drive but not the identities. Right? Which leads to another question--how does the ROAM switch function? Does it carry code that allows the pmail.ini file to be changed depending on into which machine the drive is plugged and Windows assigns a different drive letter? I assume that&#039;s what it does, otherwise it wouldn&#039;t work. I assume it changes the &quot;general&quot; and &quot;info&quot; properties of the pmail.ini file but not the identities. Please advise.

On 26 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <> wrote:

> Thanks much, I understand how to migrate PMail... I've done
> it over the years with many machines. What you're describing
> with -ROAM will get my mail folders on to a flash drive but
> not the identities. Right? Which leads to another
> question--how does the ROAM switch function? Does it carry
> code that allows the pmail.ini file to be changed depending
> on into which machine the drive is plugged and Windows
> assigns a different drive letter? I assume that's what it
> does, otherwise it wouldn't work. I assume it changes the
> "general" and "info" properties of the pmail.ini file but not
> the identities. Please advise.

You identities are in the pmail.ini file.  You can copy this one over as well but you will probably have to edit the pmail.ini file to make a path change if a simply drive letter change does not show the path.  

You can simply rename the pmail.ini on the flash drive to pmail.ini.sav and then copy the pmail.ini from the old system.Then take this to another system where Pegasus Mail is NOT installed so you are sure it's not looking at the old mailbox location to see what happens.  If it works then no problem, if it does not then you'll have to edit the pmail.ini file paths.

On 26 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; Thanks much, I understand how to migrate PMail... I&#039;ve done &amp;gt; it over the years with many machines. What you&#039;re describing &amp;gt; with -ROAM will get my mail folders on to a flash drive but &amp;gt; not the identities. Right? Which leads to another &amp;gt; question--how does the ROAM switch function? Does it carry &amp;gt; code that allows the pmail.ini file to be changed depending &amp;gt; on into which machine the drive is plugged and Windows &amp;gt; assigns a different drive letter? I assume that&#039;s what it &amp;gt; does, otherwise it wouldn&#039;t work. I assume it changes the &amp;gt; &quot;general&quot; and &quot;info&quot; properties of the pmail.ini file but not &amp;gt; the identities. Please advise. You identities are in the pmail.ini file.&amp;nbsp; You can copy this one over as well but you will probably have to edit the pmail.ini file to make a path change if a simply drive letter change does not show the path. &amp;nbsp; You can simply rename the pmail.ini on the flash drive to pmail.ini.sav and then copy the pmail.ini from the old system.Then take this to another system where Pegasus Mail is NOT installed so you are sure it&#039;s not looking at the old mailbox location to see what happens.&amp;nbsp; If it works then no problem, if it does not then you&#039;ll have to edit the pmail.ini file paths.

Thanks--I understand that also. But I still would like to know how the -ROAM switch allows for a change in the pmail.ini file every time one plugs in the flash drive into a different machine? And if it changes the "top" information, why doesn't it change the identity information?

sam

&lt;P&gt;Thanks--I understand that also. But I still would like to know how the -ROAM switch allows for a change in the pmail.ini file every time one plugs in the flash drive into a different machine? And if it changes the &quot;top&quot; information, why doesn&#039;t it change the identity information?&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;sam&lt;/P&gt;

On 27 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <> wrote:

> Thanks--I understand that also. But I still would like to
> know how the -ROAM switch allows for a change in the
> pmail.ini file every time one plugs in the flash drive into a
> different machine? And if it changes the "top" information,
> why doesn't it change the identity information?
>
> sam

It does not change pmail.ini, it simply goes to the local drive when it can't find the mail directories based on the pmail.cfg file.  How about trying it out and ask us questions about what you do not know.  ;-)

On 27 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; Thanks--I understand that also. But I still would like to &amp;gt; know how the -ROAM switch allows for a change in the &amp;gt; pmail.ini file every time one plugs in the flash drive into a &amp;gt; different machine? And if it changes the &quot;top&quot; information, &amp;gt; why doesn&#039;t it change the identity information? &amp;gt; &amp;gt; sam It does not change pmail.ini, it simply goes to the local drive when it can&#039;t find the mail directories based on the pmail.cfg file.&amp;nbsp; How about trying it out and ask us questions about what you do not know.&amp;nbsp; ;-)
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft