Mercury Suggestions
Logging of incoming connection failures

Hi. That would be great.

Does it check for transient codes as well as failure codes?

I'll PM you with my contact details

Thanks!

<p>Hi. That would be great.</p><p>Does it check for transient codes as well as failure codes?</p><p>I'll PM you with my contact details</p><p>Thanks!</p>

Hi

I had a situation recently where Mercury/32 was rejecting messages based on the transaction filtering available under the MercuryS compliance section. The default TRANSFLT.MER file was enabled and was rejecting connections (S, "*for job*", BS, "554 Possibly employment spam - please change and re-send."), for no good reason that I could see (*for job* was not present). I sorted it out by whitelisting a range of IP addresses. These IP addresses are those used by our email filtering service provider.

I would not have been aware of these rejections until too late if I had not configured appropriate SMTP failure reporting from our service provider's customer portal. Luckily, I fixed the issue before I was informed by staff that there was a problem.

I know that we can check the logs generated by Mercury/32 but there are 1000's of them. What would be useful is the ability for Mercury/32 to email a report that lists incoming and outgoing SMTP/POP3/IMAP failures. Outgoing failures are relatively easy to identify for SMTP, but it would still be useful to have everything collated in a single daily report, or a report that can be generated on demand. Such reporting, or even tracking by Mercury/32 itself would be quite vaulable.

<P>Hi</P> <P>I had a situation recently where Mercury/32 was rejecting messages based on the transaction filtering available under the MercuryS compliance section. The default TRANSFLT.MER file was enabled and was rejecting connections (S, "*for job*", BS, "554 Possibly employment spam - please change and re-send."), for no good reason that I could see (*for job* was not present). I sorted it out by whitelisting a range of IP addresses. These IP addresses are those used by our email filtering service provider.</P> <P>I would not have been aware of these rejections until too late if I had not configured appropriate SMTP failure reporting from our service provider's customer portal. Luckily, I fixed the issue before I was informed by staff that there was a problem.</P> <P>I know that we can check the logs generated by Mercury/32 but there are 1000's of them. What would be useful is the ability for Mercury/32 to email a report that lists incoming and outgoing SMTP/POP3/IMAP failures. Outgoing failures are relatively easy to identify for SMTP, but it would still be useful to have everything collated in a single daily report, or a report that can be generated on demand. Such reporting, or even tracking by Mercury/32 itself would be quite vaulable.</P>

I wrote a script to scrape the MercS log and build a logfile showing each connection and its outcome on one line.

Makes it easy to spot issues and filter by rejection reason etc.

It's rather 'organic' and specific to my setup so may not be much use to you, but can share it if you want.

<p>I wrote a script to scrape the MercS log and build a logfile showing each connection and its outcome on one line.</p><p>Makes it easy to spot issues and filter by rejection reason etc. </p><p>It's rather 'organic' and specific to my setup so may not be much use to you, but can share it if you want. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft