Community Discussions and Support
MESSAGE ATTACHEMENTS

If your email hub is sendmail and/or MailScanner (rather than Mercury) you can also make archive copies there fairly easily.

Incidentally, archiving on the email hub integrates better with backup and disaster recovery plans (especially if you are USA federally regulated by SOX, FDA, or HIPAA) than depending on individuals to maintain personal stores.  Once you are doing strong archival, if someone really needs to recover an old message they can request it be drawn from the archive copy by the email hub administrator.

Personally, I very much appreciate that Pegasus doesn't put the attachments in copies to self.  File version management simply should not be performed with an email engine, to be frank - it'd be "good enough" solution that would drive out existing optimal solutions.  Thanks, David!

<p>If your email hub is sendmail and/or MailScanner (rather than Mercury) you can also make archive copies there fairly easily.</p><p>Incidentally, archiving on the email hub integrates better with backup and disaster recovery plans (especially if you are USA federally regulated by SOX, FDA, or HIPAA) than depending on individuals to maintain personal stores.  Once you are doing strong archival, if someone really needs to recover an old message they can request it be drawn from the archive copy by the email hub administrator. </p><p>Personally, I very much appreciate that Pegasus doesn't put the attachments in copies to self.  File version management simply should not be performed with an email engine, to be frank - it'd be "good enough" solution that would drive out existing optimal solutions.  Thanks, David!</p>

Dear ALL,

please i am having a really big problem with Pegasus or i might not be setting it rite, i want my pegasus to keep attachments in copy to self folder with related emails as well, but at the moment its just saving the path of the file or attachment, i know it comes with it by default but some time i have to look for old version of sent file for match which i can't do at the moment. is there any one who can help me with that ?

Many thanks
Dodi

<P>Dear ALL,</P> <P>please i am having a really big problem with Pegasus or i might not be setting it rite, i want my pegasus to keep attachments in copy to self folder with related emails as well, but at the moment its just saving the path of the file or attachment, i know it comes with it by default but some time i have to look for old version of sent file for match which i can't do at the moment. is there any one who can help me with that ?</P> <P> Many thanks Dodi</P>

This one has been repeatedly discussed.

In a nutshell, Pegasus Mail does not save the actual attachments as part of a copy-to-self, only references to them. It does this because if I did save them, the folders would rapidly become huge, and many system administrators have told me in the past that that would be a show-stopper for them.

In these days of terabyte drives, though, it may be time to consider adding this as an option, defaulted to off. It's in consideration, with no firm promises.

Cheers!

-- David --

<p>This one has been repeatedly discussed. In a nutshell, Pegasus Mail does not save the actual attachments as part of a copy-to-self, only references to them. It does this because if I <i>did</i> save them, the folders would rapidly become huge, and many system administrators have told me in the past that that would be a show-stopper for them. In these days of terabyte drives, though, it may be time to consider adding this as an option, defaulted to off. It's in consideration, with no firm promises. Cheers! -- David -- </p>

[quote user="daudelahi"]... i want my pegasus to keep attachments in copy to self folder with related emails as well, but at the moment its just saving the path of the file or attachment, i know it comes with it by default but some time i have to look for old version of sent file for match ...[/quote]

AFAIK, there's no setting for that -- someone will correct me, if I'm wrong. [EDIT: Oops! outdated even while I was typing this. Confirmed you definitely can't by David]

But, given what you want to do, here's one possible way to keep track of these attachments. Make a directory (folder) for the specific purpose of storing mail attachments. For example you could create one called "Attachments" in the "My Documents" folder. Copy anything you want to attach to a message into there, and when you send a message attach it from there. This is functionally the same as if the program were putting all attachments in messages you sent in a directory in its mail-store.

Whenever you open a sent message and want to want to look at an attachment relating to it, highlight the path to the file and copy it. Now paste that path into your browser window. Both Internet Explorer and Firefox know to add the prefix file:///. If they can display the attachment, they will; if not, they will invoke the appropriate handler.

<p>[quote user="daudelahi"]... i want my pegasus to keep attachments in copy to self folder with related emails as well, but at the moment its just saving the path of the file or attachment, i know it comes with it by default but some time i have to look for old version of sent file for match ...[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>AFAIK, there's no setting for that -- someone will correct me, if I'm wrong. [EDIT: Oops! outdated even while I was typing this. Confirmed you definitely can't by David]</p><p> </p><p>But, given what you want to do, here's one possible way to keep track of these attachments. Make a directory (folder) for the specific purpose of storing mail attachments. For example you could create one called "Attachments" in the "My Documents" folder. Copy anything you want to attach to a message into there, and when you send a message attach it from there. This is functionally the same as if the program were putting all attachments in messages you sent in a directory in its mail-store.</p><p>Whenever you open a sent message and want to want to look at an attachment relating to it, highlight the path to the file and copy it. Now paste that path into your browser window. Both Internet Explorer and Firefox know to add the prefix [color=green]file:///[/color]. If they can display the attachment, they will; if not, they will invoke the appropriate handler.</p><p> </p><p> </p>

David,

Even if Pegasus doesn't store the attachment, it would be nice if we could get some sort of notification in the folder view that an attachment was appended to a sent mail.  We have that for incoming stuff (the little icon with paper clip); would be nice to have it with outgoing as well.

thanks,

--pb

<P>David,</P> <P>Even if Pegasus doesn't store the attachment, it would be nice if we could get some sort of notification in the folder view that an attachment was appended to a sent mail.  We have that for incoming stuff (the little icon with paper clip); would be nice to have it with outgoing as well.</P> <P>thanks, </P> <P>--pb</P>

Thank you all for your help,

As i have just switched one of my big clients to pegasus from Exchange, and they have to keep track of their sent attachments.

thanks again guys for you true help

<P>Thank you all for your help,</P> <P>As i have just switched one of my big clients to pegasus from Exchange, and they have to keep track of their sent attachments.</P> <P>thanks again guys for you true help</P>

If they use Pegasus Mail with Mercury/32 they can set an always filter to send the mail off to an archive user so they will always have a complete copy of all inbound and outbound mail.

<p>If they use Pegasus Mail with Mercury/32 they can set an always filter to send the mail off to an archive user so they will always have a complete copy of all inbound and outbound mail.</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft