Community Discussions and Support
international folder names in 4.51

[quote user="tokul"]

mercury32 4.51 crashes if submitted IMAP folder name does not match character set selected in IMAP module configuration.

[/quote]

This problem is fixed in the v4.52 patch, which will be out either today or tomorrow. Note that the "fix" only prevents the crash - if you try to create a folder with a name that cannot be represented using the default character set configured in Mercury, the foldername almost certainly won't be the way you expect it to be, but the program won't crash. In the examples in this thread, where attempts were made to create a folder with a single illegal character as a name, you'll just get a "NO" failure response from Mercury.

The aim is to add full unicode support for folder names in an upcoming release, but for now, this workaround will have to do.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="tokul"]<p>mercury32 4.51 crashes if submitted IMAP folder name does not match character set selected in IMAP module configuration.</p><p>[/quote] This problem is fixed in the v4.52 patch, which will be out either today or tomorrow. Note that the "fix" only prevents the crash - if you try to create a folder with a name that cannot be represented using the default character set configured in Mercury, the foldername almost certainly won't be the way you expect it to be, but the program won't crash. In the examples in this thread, where attempts were made to create a folder with a single illegal character as a name, you'll just get a "NO" failure response from Mercury. The aim is to add full unicode support for folder names in an upcoming release, but for now, this workaround will have to do. Cheers! -- David -- </p>

mercury32 4.51 crashes if submitted IMAP folder name does not match character set selected in IMAP module configuration.

à folder works if character set is set to iso-8859-1.

latin small t with cedilla causes fatal error in iso-8859-1 and works if I select iso-8859-2 charset. but then à folder becomes latin small r with acute.

small latin a with ogonek causes fatal error in iso-8859-1.

cyrillic small letter ya should cause errors in all charsets listed in IMAP module configuration. 

"fatal error" = Windows error box with "Mercury/32 Core Processing Module v.4.51 has encountered a problem and needs to close.". From that window I can get only unselectable dump and xml file with information about program.

Mercury session logs contains
---

16:21:13.312: Connection from 192.168.1.2, Tue Jun 26 16:21:13 2007<lf>

16:21:13.312: << * OK example.org IMAP4rev1 Mercury/32 v4.51 server ready.<cr><lf>
16:21:13.312: >> A001 LOGIN "username" "password"<cr><lf>
16:21:13.312: << A001 OK LOGIN completed.<cr><lf>
16:21:13.312: >> A002 CREATE "&AQU-"<cr><lf>

---

session log ends here. IMAP server crashes and takes away all mercury32 processes. Nothing in IMAP log and nothing in main log. 
&lt;p&gt;mercury32 4.51 crashes if submitted IMAP folder name does not match character set selected in IMAP module configuration.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&agrave; folder works if character set is set to iso-8859-1.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; latin small t with cedilla causes fatal error in iso-8859-1 and works if I select iso-8859-2 charset. but then &agrave; folder becomes latin small r with acute.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;small latin a with ogonek causes fatal error in iso-8859-1.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;cyrillic small letter ya should cause errors in all charsets listed in IMAP module configuration.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp; &quot;fatal error&quot; = Windows error box with &quot;Mercury/32 Core Processing Module v.4.51 has encountered a problem and needs to close.&quot;. From that window I can get only unselectable dump and xml file with information about program.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Mercury session logs contains ---&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;16:21:13.312: Connection from 192.168.1.2, Tue Jun 26 16:21:13 2007&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; &lt;/p&gt; &lt;pre&gt;16:21:13.312: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; * OK example.org IMAP4rev1 Mercury/32 v4.51 server ready.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 16:21:13.312: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; A001 LOGIN &quot;username&quot; &quot;password&quot;&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 16:21:13.312: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; A001 OK LOGIN completed.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 16:21:13.312: &amp;gt;&amp;gt; A002 CREATE &quot;&amp;amp;AQU-&quot;&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt;&lt;/pre&gt; &lt;pre&gt;---&lt;/pre&gt; &lt;pre&gt;session log ends here. IMAP server crashes and takes away all mercury32 processes. Nothing in IMAP log and nothing in main log.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/pre&gt;

I cannot duplicate your problem.  I've used "à folder" and  "José " as folder name and shifted back and forth between ISO-8859-1 & -2 without problem using WinPMail.  Can you be more specific and provide a step-by-step process to duplicate the error?  Maybe more detail as to the OS, application, etc.

&lt;p&gt;I cannot duplicate your problem.&amp;nbsp; I&#039;ve used &quot;&agrave; folder&quot; and&amp;nbsp; &quot;Jos&eacute; &quot; as folder name and shifted back and forth between ISO-8859-1 &amp;amp; -2 without problem using WinPMail.&amp;nbsp; Can you be more specific and provide a step-by-step process to duplicate the error?&amp;nbsp; Maybe more detail as to the OS, application, etc.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Both characters are present in iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-2. Try using symbols not from US-ASCII and Latin1.

Latin small letter a with ogonek = ą = "&AQU-" in UTF7-IMAP

Cyrillic small letter ya = я = "&BE8-" in UTF7-IMAP.

Mercury32 tested on WinXP. Old 4.01 registry entries and c:\mercury directory deleted before installing 4.51. Main IMAP client - modified SquirrelMail version. Folder name generation code works same way as in original SquirrelMail version, if PHP install has mbstring support and you use utf-8 translation. I can reproduce same thing with telnet. If I create folder with allowed characters during same IMAP session, create command with invalid characters fails with "NO Path or folder creation error.". System messages window shows "FOLDERV2: Attempt to create folder with 0-length name."

tomas@kirke:~$ telnet 192.168.1.7 143

Trying 192.168.1.7...

Connected to 192.168.1.7.

Escape character is '^]'.

* OK example.org IMAP4rev1 Mercury/32 v4.51 server ready.

A01 login username password

A01 OK LOGIN completed.

A02 create "&AX0-"

A02 OK CREATE complete.

A03 create "&BE8-"

A03 NO Path or folder creation error.

A04 logout

Connection closed by foreign host.

tomas@kirke:~$ telnet 192.168.1.7 143

Trying 192.168.1.7...

Connected to 192.168.1.7.

Escape character is '^]'.

* OK example.org IMAP4rev1 Mercury/32 v4.51 server ready.

A01 login username password

A01 OK LOGIN completed.

A02 create "&BE8-"

Boom

&lt;p&gt;Both characters are present in iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-2. Try using symbols not from US-ASCII and Latin1. &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Latin small letter a with ogonek = ą = &quot;&amp;amp;AQU-&quot; in UTF7-IMAP &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Cyrillic small letter ya = я = &quot;&amp;amp;BE8-&quot; in UTF7-IMAP. &lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;Mercury32 tested on WinXP. Old 4.01 registry entries and c:\mercury directory deleted before installing 4.51. Main IMAP client - modified SquirrelMail version. Folder name generation code works same way as in original SquirrelMail version, if PHP install has mbstring support and you use utf-8 translation. I can reproduce same thing with telnet. If I create folder with allowed characters during same IMAP session, create command with invalid characters fails with &quot;NO Path or folder creation error.&quot;. System messages window shows &quot;FOLDERV2: Attempt to create folder with 0-length name.&quot; &lt;/p&gt; &lt;pre&gt;tomas@kirke:~$ telnet 192.168.1.7 143 Trying 192.168.1.7... Connected to 192.168.1.7. Escape character is &#039;^]&#039;. * OK example.org IMAP4rev1 Mercury/32 v4.51 server ready. A01 login username password A01 OK LOGIN completed. A02 create &quot;&amp;amp;AX0-&quot; A02 OK CREATE complete. A03 create &quot;&amp;amp;BE8-&quot; A03 NO Path or folder creation error. A04 logout Connection closed by foreign host. tomas@kirke:~$ telnet 192.168.1.7 143 Trying 192.168.1.7... Connected to 192.168.1.7. Escape character is &#039;^]&#039;. * OK example.org IMAP4rev1 Mercury/32 v4.51 server ready. A01 login username password A01 OK LOGIN completed. A02 create &quot;&amp;amp;BE8-&quot; &lt;/pre&gt; &lt;p&gt;Boom&lt;/p&gt;

I'm looking into this at present. In initial testing, I have been unable to reproduce this crash, but I'll keep at it.

Cheers!

-- David --

&lt;p&gt;I&#039;m looking into this at present. In initial testing, I have been unable to reproduce this crash, but I&#039;ll keep at it. Cheers! -- David -- &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft