Mercury Suggestions
Mercury Crashes

Is there a single application that never crashes, no matter what the circumstances? I think not.

In my experience (which is limited to the work environment, as I operate OS X at home), Mercury crashes are so infrequent, they are of no consequence. Most often it is the operating platform around it that causes the problems. This is like saying to automobile manufacturers, "I suggest you build a car that never crashes, no matter what the idiot who drives it does, and despite any pot-holes or sudden blind bends in the road." I say, keep up the good work, Pegasus Mail and Mercury.

<p>Is there a single application that never crashes, no matter what the circumstances? I think not.</p><p>In my experience (which is limited to the work environment, as I operate OS X at home), Mercury crashes are so infrequent, they are of no consequence. Most often it is the operating platform around it that causes the problems. This is like saying to automobile manufacturers, "I suggest you build a car that never crashes, no matter what the idiot who drives it does, and despite any pot-holes or sudden blind bends in the road." I say, keep up the good work, Pegasus Mail and Mercury.</p>

I suggest that Mercury not crash. I suggest that no crash is normal. All crashes are bugs no matter what causes them.

I suggest that the correct priority list is:

A. Anything which can cause a crash needs to be eliminated (obviously the ultimate goal).

B. Any errors which might crash the application need to post a handled unique error, rather than a crash.

C. Errors should provide sufficient information for the user to move forward to the solution. For example, they should not use the Microsoft solution as in "A file is in use by another application" which just leaves one paralized. What file and which other application, and at best what do I need to do to proceed?

All I have received as support suggestions has been "Mercury has to have exclusive access to all it's files". In a multiprocessing/multiprogramming environment that assumption is equivalent to "don't step on the land mines out there in the mine field". "Boom, Oh opps, sorry".

In case you think this is academic, Mercurys crashes which are leaving no clues and are leaving me with the responsibility to debug the problem are driving me away from an application I love and will prevent any further donations from me to support the Pegasus/Mercury effort. I am ready to ask for my donation back which I sent in when I thought the last version fixed this problem.

In spite of all the good work that has gone into Pegasus and Mercury, this problem highlights some less than "A" level work. I hope some progress can be made but unfortunatly, I will likely not be able to stick around to benefit.

Good Luck

<P>I suggest that Mercury not crash. I suggest that no crash is normal. All crashes are bugs no matter what causes them.</P> <P>I suggest that the correct priority list is:</P> <P>A. Anything which can cause a crash needs to be eliminated (obviously the ultimate goal).</P> <P>B. Any errors which might crash the application need to post a handled unique error, rather than a crash.</P> <P>C. Errors should provide sufficient information for the user to move forward to the solution. For example, they should not use the Microsoft solution as in "A file is in use by another application" which just leaves one paralized. What file and which other application, and at best what do I need to do to proceed?</P> <P>All I have received as support suggestions has been "Mercury has to have exclusive access to all it's files". In a multiprocessing/multiprogramming environment that assumption is equivalent to "don't step on the land mines out there in the mine field". "Boom, Oh opps, sorry".</P> <P> In case you think this is academic, Mercurys crashes which are leaving no clues and are leaving me with the responsibility to debug the problem are driving me away from an application I love and will prevent any further donations from me to support the Pegasus/Mercury effort. I am ready to ask for my donation back which I sent in when I thought the last version fixed this problem.</P> <P>In spite of all the good work that has gone into Pegasus and Mercury, this problem highlights some less than "A" level work. I hope some progress can be made but unfortunatly, I will likely not be able to stick around to benefit.</P> <P>Good Luck</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft