Community Discussions and Support
File structure does not appear correctly for some users when using IMAP

It turns out that this was nothing to do with Mercury or Pegasus.   We use file permissions to control who has access toeach mail box and the user accoutnin question had not had permission for the administrator account which runs Mercury to access it properly.   This was a mistake as it happens.   I corrected the directory permissions and the file hieracy appeared correctly.

Thanks to all those who helped me on this one. 

<p>It turns out that this was nothing to do with Mercury or Pegasus.   We use file permissions to control who has access toeach mail box and the user accoutnin question had not had permission for the administrator account which runs Mercury to access it properly.   This was a mistake as it happens.   I corrected the directory permissions and the file hieracy appeared correctly.</p><p> </p><p>Thanks to all those who helped me on this one. </p>

We have been using Mercury and Pegasus for some years now, recently we have started to use IMAP to allow users to access their mail when offsite and this worked well for the first few installations.   However when I tried to use IMAP with our sales manager's account the file structure of hi mailbox disappeared with not all his sub folders appearing and none of them appearing in their correct folder all just off his root mailbox.

I check my account using his copy of Pegasus and it was fine I also looked at his account from my copy of Pegasus again it was fine.   I did update him to Pegasus version 4.3.1 as he was on an earlier version.   We currently use Mercury 4.01.

Is there anything I can do to correct this situation?

<p>We have been using Mercury and Pegasus for some years now, recently we have started to use IMAP to allow users to access their mail when offsite and this worked well for the first few installations.   However when I tried to use IMAP with our sales manager's account the file structure of hi mailbox disappeared with not all his sub folders appearing and none of them appearing in their correct folder all just off his root mailbox.</p><p> I check my account using his copy of Pegasus and it was fine I also looked at his account from my copy of Pegasus again it was fine.   I did update him to Pegasus version 4.3.1 as he was on an earlier version.   We currently use Mercury 4.01.</p><p> Is there anything I can do to correct this situation?  </p>

Imap in v4.51 is heavily improved - upgrade your Mercury is first step.

Imap in v4.51 is heavily improved - upgrade your Mercury is first step.

On 28 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <> wrote:

> We have been using Mercury and Pegasus for some years now,
> recently we have started to use IMAP to allow users to access
> their mail when offsite and this worked well for the first
> few installations.   However when I tried to use IMAP with
> our sales manager's account the file structure of hi mailbox
> disappeared with not all his sub folders appearing and none
> of them appearing in their correct folder all just off his
> root mailbox.

If you mean his folder and tray structure got messed up then it sounds like his hierarch.pm is bad.  I would recommend that you restore this file from backup when he is not running WinPMail and try again.

>
>  I check my account using his copy of Pegasus and it was fine
> I also looked at his account from my copy of Pegasus again it
> was fine.   I did update him to Pegasus version 4.3.1 as he
> was on an earlier version.   We currently use Mercury 4.01.

The current version of WinPMail id v4.41 and Mercury/32 is v4.51.  Both of these do quite a bit better with IMAP4.  I'd recommend you first upgrade to the current versions.

On 28 Jun 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; We have been using Mercury and Pegasus for some years now, &amp;gt; recently we have started to use IMAP to allow users to access &amp;gt; their mail when offsite and this worked well for the first &amp;gt; few installations.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; However when I tried to use IMAP with &amp;gt; our sales manager&#039;s account the file structure of hi mailbox &amp;gt; disappeared with not all his sub folders appearing and none &amp;gt; of them appearing in their correct folder all just off his &amp;gt; root mailbox. If you mean his folder and tray structure got messed up then it sounds like his hierarch.pm is bad.&amp;nbsp; I would recommend that you restore this file from backup when he is not running WinPMail and try again. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; &amp;nbsp;I check my account using his copy of Pegasus and it was fine &amp;gt; I also looked at his account from my copy of Pegasus again it &amp;gt; was fine.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; I did update him to Pegasus version 4.3.1 as he &amp;gt; was on an earlier version.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; We currently use Mercury 4.01. The current version of WinPMail id v4.41 and Mercury/32 is v4.51.&amp;nbsp; Both of these do quite a bit better with IMAP4.&amp;nbsp; I&#039;d recommend you first upgrade to the current versions.

OK well the user now has the latest Pegasus (4.41) and I upgraded the server to Mercury 4.51 on Thursday.   It does not seem to have helped.

I suppose the next step is to rebuild his Hierach.pm file which I will do after I have had the chance to talk him about it.

Any other ideas that we can try?

&lt;p&gt;OK well the user now has the latest Pegasus (4.41) and I upgraded the server to Mercury 4.51 on Thursday.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; It does not seem to have helped.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;I suppose the next step is to rebuild his Hierach.pm file which I will do after I have had the chance to talk him about it.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;Any other ideas that we can try? &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft