Community Discussions and Support
Can't move or delete mail from New Mail Folder

Do you keep your new mail folder open all the time?

Close that New Mail folder and close down Pegasus Mail. At the next restart all those sombie things must be gone. 

<p>Do you keep your new mail folder open all the time? </p><p>Close that New Mail folder and close down Pegasus Mail. At the next restart all those sombie things must be gone. </p><p> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

I am using Pegasus 4.41 on Vista (sort of involuntary because I needed a new machine really quick). I currently have 267 messages in my New Mail folder - because I cannot move or delete them. I am not sure what triggered this, and whether only individual messages are affected - I have been able to move/delete some messages earlier, but now nothing gives. Or, a message appears to be deleted, only to reappear at the top of the list. I have tried turning off preview mode, but that didn't help. I have closed and restarted the program, and on the first and second try I was then able to delete/move one or two messages, and then the same problem was back. Please help - it is driving me crazy. Thanks,

Ulrike

<P>I am using Pegasus 4.41 on Vista (sort of involuntary because I needed a new machine really quick). I currently have 267 messages in my New Mail folder - because I cannot move or delete them. I am not sure what triggered this, and whether only individual messages are affected - I have been able to move/delete some messages earlier, but now nothing gives. Or, a message appears to be deleted, only to reappear at the top of the list. I have tried turning off preview mode, but that didn't help. I have closed and restarted the program, and on the first and second try I was then able to delete/move one or two messages, and then the same problem was back. Please help - it is driving me crazy. Thanks,</P> <P>Ulrike</P>

Hello!

First question is whether the messages in your New Mail folder are set to read-only. If so, they obviously cannot be deleted. Select the messages you want to delete or move, than right-click on them and choose "Toggle read-only status". Does that change anything?

If it does not, you may want to try to remove the new mail messages outside of Pegasus Mail.
Technically speaking, each message in the New Mail folder is a *.cnm-file placed in your new mailbox directory. That means: if you delete those files or move them to a different directory, Pegasus Mail will not them anymore, hence tell you there are no new mail messages. Go to "Help" | "About Pegasus Mail" | "Info" and find the value given for "New mailbox location:" - the directory given there contains the *.cnm-files I have mentioned. Close Pegasus Mail, open a file management tool (like Windows Explorer) and go to the directory set for the New mailbox location. Move the *.cnm-files you find there to a different directory (perhaps a directory you have created before yourself). Afterdoing so, restart Pegasus Mail and find out what happens.
Can you remove the *.cnm-files as described above?

Hello! First question is whether the messages in your New Mail folder are set to read-only. If so, they obviously cannot be deleted. Select the messages you want to delete or move, than right-click on them and choose "Toggle read-only status". Does that change anything? If it does not, you may want to try to remove the new mail messages outside of Pegasus Mail. Technically speaking, each message in the New Mail folder is a *.cnm-file placed in your new mailbox directory. That means: if you delete those files or move them to a different directory, Pegasus Mail will not them anymore, hence tell you there are no new mail messages. Go to "Help" | "About Pegasus Mail" | "Info" and find the value given for "New mailbox location:" - the directory given there contains the *.cnm-files I have mentioned. Close Pegasus Mail, open a file management tool (like Windows Explorer) and go to the directory set for the New mailbox location. Move the *.cnm-files you find there to a different directory (perhaps a directory you have created before yourself). Afterdoing so, restart Pegasus Mail and find out what happens. Can you remove the *.cnm-files as described above?

Okay - how can I tell whether they are read-only, and why would they be?

I just tried the "toggle read-only status" - and now I have duplicates of the message I tried to delete.

I will have to try what you said about the cnm-files, but the messages we are talking about are important work messages, so I would hate to loose them - is it save to move the cnm files around?

Thanks,

Ulrike

<P>Okay - how can I tell whether they are read-only, and why would they be?</P> <P>I just tried the "toggle read-only status" - and now I have duplicates of the message I tried to delete.</P> <P>I will have to try what you said about the cnm-files, but the messages we are talking about are important work messages, so I would hate to loose them - is it save to move the cnm files around?</P> <P> Thanks,</P> <P>Ulrike</P>

Addendum: Newly arrived messages can  be deleted and moved.... as I just realized.

Addendum: Newly arrived messages can  be deleted and moved.... as I just realized.

[quote user="agricult"]

Okay - how can I tell whether they are read-only, and why would they be?

I just tried the "toggle read-only status" - and now I have duplicates of the message I tried to delete.

I will have to try what you said about the cnm-files, but the messages we are talking about are important work messages, so I would hate to loose them - is it save to move the cnm files around?

Thanks,

Ulrike

[/quote]

Select the message and right mouse ->propperties. On the right there is a checkbox with "is marked read only". Must be unticked. The message duplication indicates that the windows (or Network) might prevent the file from being closed. Did this problem still occur after you closed down the computer and restarted it?

[quote user="agricult"]<p>Okay - how can I tell whether they are read-only, and why would they be?</p> <p>I just tried the "toggle read-only status" - and now I have duplicates of the message I tried to delete.</p> <p>I will have to try what you said about the cnm-files, but the messages we are talking about are important work messages, so I would hate to loose them - is it save to move the cnm files around?</p> <p> Thanks,</p> <p>Ulrike</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Select the message and right mouse ->propperties. On the right there is a checkbox with "is marked read only". Must be unticked. The message duplication indicates that the windows (or Network) might prevent the file from being closed. Did this problem still occur after you closed down the computer and restarted it?</p><p> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

Thanks for the explanation  - no, none of the affected messages is read-only.

And yes, the problem persisted after a reboot.

I have now deleted manually some of the CNM-files of messages that I no longer need, and it seems that I am able to delete and move within Pegasus messages that date from June. However, older messages that are still hanging around from May from unfinished business cannot be deleted or moved - any ideas?

Yet another addendum: I now see that messages for which I have deleted the cnm files (and the files are no longer visible in Explorer, and I have emptied the recycle bin) STILL appear in Pegasus, but they no longer contain any info - i.e., they are listed in the new mail folder, but can no longer be opened, and the preview window shows only ????

Could this have anything to do with the fact that I moved to a new computer and at the same time updated my Pegasus version? I was able to move my mailbox content, but it had lost all the filing tray information - I recreated them manually and have not noticed any problems with that.

I just looked at the file properties in Explorer, and these older cnm files (i.e. the ones that were around before my computer move) have a change date that is before their creation dated - could that be a problem?

How can I clean up this giant mess?

<P>Thanks for the explanation  - no, none of the affected messages is read-only.</P> <P>And yes, the problem persisted after a reboot.</P> <P>I have now deleted manually some of the CNM-files of messages that I no longer need, and it seems that I am able to delete and move within Pegasus messages that date from June. However, older messages that are still hanging around from May from unfinished business cannot be deleted or moved - any ideas?</P> <P>Yet another addendum: I now see that messages for which I have deleted the cnm files (and the files are no longer visible in Explorer, and I have emptied the recycle bin) STILL appear in Pegasus, but they no longer contain any info - i.e., they are listed in the new mail folder, but can no longer be opened, and the preview window shows only ????</P> <P>Could this have anything to do with the fact that I moved to a new computer and at the same time updated my Pegasus version? I was able to move my mailbox content, but it had lost all the filing tray information - I recreated them manually and have not noticed any problems with that. </P> <P>I just looked at the file properties in Explorer, and these older cnm files (i.e. the ones that were around before my computer move) have a change date that is before their creation dated - could that be a problem?</P> <P>How can I clean up this giant mess?</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft