Community Discussions and Support
MercuryS and SSL

Hallo Thomas,

thanks for your answer! Depreciated or not ... would be nice if Mercury would support direct SSL with all modules. Have to test a lot if there is any mailreader especially on notebooks (and even Smartphones) of my clients, that need direct SSL. No ... you don't want a discussion with a professor about changing his mailreader or even updating the existing one. :-(

The desktops are not that problem ... they have Pegasus. But notebooks and especially private notebooks are not under my control. I know there's a wide range of mailreaders and even differnet versions of them (Thunderbird, Seamonkey, Outlook, Outlook Express, Opera ...). OK ... I'll kick the one client with Outlook Express ... isn't even capable opening WINMAIL.DAT ;-)

STunnel ... had some tests in context with other software a while ago ... and massive problems. Don't want that hack again.

bye   Olaf

P.S. A hint in help and/or documentation, which modules are capable which encrytions, would be nice!

<p>Hallo Thomas,</p><p>thanks for your answer! Depreciated or not ... would be nice if Mercury would support direct SSL with all modules. Have to test a lot if there is any mailreader especially on notebooks (and even Smartphones) of my clients, that need direct SSL. No ... you don't want a discussion with a professor about changing his mailreader or even updating the existing one. :-( </p><p>The desktops are not that problem ... they have Pegasus. But notebooks and especially private notebooks are not under my control. I know there's a wide range of mailreaders and even differnet versions of them (Thunderbird, Seamonkey, Outlook, Outlook Express, Opera ...). OK ... I'll kick the one client with Outlook Express ... isn't even capable opening WINMAIL.DAT ;-)</p><p>STunnel ... had some tests in context with other software a while ago ... and massive problems. Don't want that hack again.</p><p>bye   Olaf</p><p> P.S. A hint in help and/or documentation, which modules are capable which encrytions, would be nice! </p>

What I have: Mercury/32 V4.73 and Pegasus Mail V4.61.

What I know: Pegasus is capable using direct SSL for SMTP (doing that on different software for mailhosts).

What I did: enabled SSL/TLS on MercuryS (and even MercuryI) with selfcertificate on alternate port 465.

Result: direct SSL on IMAP works fine - TLS on SMTP to. But direct SSL on SMTP results in Error:

Mercury Session log:

13:59:35.046: Connection from 129.217.232.10, Thu Nov 03 13:59:35 2011<lf>
13:59:35.046: << 220 wiso.tu-dortmund.de ESMTP server ready.<cr><lf>
13:59:35.046: >>
13:59:35.046: << 501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments.<cr><lf>
13:59:35.046: 9: Socket write error 10054 (connection aborted by remote host)
13:59:35.046: --- Connection closed normally at Thu Nov 03 13:59:35 2011. ---
13:59:35.046:

Pegasus protocol window (translated from german):

<< no errorprotocol available >> 

Question: Is MercuryS capable direct SSL? (I've read, MercuryI wasn't in former versions of Mercury/32 too).

bye   Olaf

&lt;p&gt;What I have: Mercury/32 V4.73 and Pegasus Mail V4.61.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;What I know: Pegasus is capable using direct SSL for SMTP (doing that on different software for mailhosts). &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;What I did: enabled SSL/TLS on MercuryS (and even MercuryI) with selfcertificate on alternate port 465.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Result: direct SSL on IMAP works fine - TLS on SMTP to. But direct SSL on SMTP results in Error:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;Mercury Session log:&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;13:59:35.046: Connection from 129.217.232.10, Thu Nov 03 13:59:35 2011&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 13:59:35.046: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 220 wiso.tu-dortmund.de ESMTP server ready.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 13:59:35.046: &amp;gt;&amp;gt;  13:59:35.046: &amp;lt;&amp;lt; 501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments.&amp;lt;cr&amp;gt;&amp;lt;lf&amp;gt; 13:59:35.046: 9: Socket write error 10054 (connection aborted by remote host) 13:59:35.046: --- Connection closed normally at Thu Nov 03 13:59:35 2011. --- 13:59:35.046: &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Pegasus protocol window (translated from german):&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt; no errorprotocol available &amp;gt;&amp;gt;&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;&lt;p&gt;Question: Is MercuryS capable direct SSL? (I&#039;ve read, MercuryI wasn&#039;t in former versions of Mercury/32 too). &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;bye &amp;nbsp; Olaf&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

> Question: Is MercuryS capable direct SSL? (I've read, MercuryI wasn't in former versions of Mercury/32 too).

MercuryI supports the depreciated Direct SSL where MercuryS only supports TLS via STARTTLS.  If your e-mail client really needs to use Direct SSL then you have to go to something like STunnel for windows to get this to work.

&amp;gt; Question: Is MercuryS capable direct SSL? (I&#039;ve read, MercuryI wasn&#039;t in former versions of Mercury/32 too). MercuryI supports the depreciated Direct SSL where MercuryS only supports TLS via STARTTLS.&amp;nbsp; If your e-mail client really needs to use Direct SSL then you have to go to something like STunnel for windows to get this to work.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft