Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Copies-to-self: correct timestamp?

Wow super - this seems really to be an option...

Thank you !

BTM:
I nethertheless think it would be a good feature to log the really sending-time too - even not in headers, but somewhere else :) 

<P>Wow super - this seems really to be an option... </P> <P>Thank you !</P> <P>BTM: I nethertheless think it would be a good feature to log the really sending-time too - even not in headers, but somewhere else :) </P>

As I've noted the timestamp of messages queued for sending is the time the message was queued, not the time it was really sent.

Sometimes it is very important to have the real sending-timestamp available, so I suggest that this timestamp should be updated during processing the 'send all queued mail' .

<P>As I've noted the timestamp of messages queued for sending is the time the message was queued, not the time it was really sent.</P> <P>Sometimes it is very important to have the <STRONG>real</STRONG> sending-timestamp available, so I suggest that this timestamp should be updated during processing the 'send all queued mail' .</P>

[quote user="MikeTheGuru"]

As I've noted the timestamp of messages queued for sending is the time the message was queued, not the time it was really sent.

Sometimes it is very important to have the real sending-timestamp available, so I suggest that this timestamp should be updated during processing the 'send all queued mail' .

[/quote]

I handle my mail a bit differently but it may also work for you too. I queue my messages in final form as *.pmx files. They already have all attachments and final signaure files if variable used and the date and time stamp. When I connect and mail is sent it retains that time when I finished authoring the message regardless of when actually sent to the server or successful connection made. The possible disadvantage is not being able to modify the message, only view it in Queue manager..

The default is to use *.pmw reeditable queue format and then at the moment you connect to the server the final processing is done, attachments added, and final signature appended and gets that date/time stamp.

The send of any *.pmo draft or stationery message get the time of completion when using final form but get the current date/time when using the reeditable queue format. If you try connection to server and it fails it is then queued in final form to be tried again later. One way to create final form without using any UDG to create final form is to intentionally cause sending failure by breaking the physical connection before dialup and connect can complete. Also works that way if no internet connection is available at moment of sending attempt.

The copies to self get date and time message of completion and Send attempted.

This all above assumes that send immediately has not been checked in Tools, Internet options and below.

[quote user="MikeTheGuru"]<p>As I've noted the timestamp of messages queued for sending is the time the message was queued, not the time it was really sent.</p> <p>Sometimes it is very important to have the <b>real</b> sending-timestamp available, so I suggest that this timestamp should be updated during processing the 'send all queued mail' .</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I handle my mail a bit differently but it may also work for you too. I queue my messages in final form as *.pmx files. They already have all attachments and final signaure files if variable used and the date and time stamp. When I connect and mail is sent it retains that time when I finished authoring the message regardless of when actually sent to the server or successful connection made. The possible disadvantage is not being able to modify the message, only view it in Queue manager..</p><p>The default is to use *.pmw reeditable queue format and then at the moment you connect to the server the final processing is done, attachments added, and final signature appended and gets that date/time stamp.</p><p>The send of any *.pmo draft or stationery message get the time of completion when using final form but get the current date/time when using the reeditable queue format. If you try connection to server and it fails it is then queued in final form to be tried again later. One way to create final form without using any UDG to create final form is to intentionally cause sending failure by breaking the physical connection before dialup and connect can complete. Also works that way if no internet connection is available at moment of sending attempt.</p><p>The copies to self get date and time message of completion and Send attempted.</p><p>This all above assumes that send immediately has not been checked in Tools, Internet options and below. </p>

[quote user="MikeTheGuru"]As I've noted the timestamp of messages queued for sending is the time the message was queued, not the time it was really sent.

Sometimes it is very important to have the real sending-timestamp available, so I suggest that this timestamp should be updated during processing the 'send all queued mail' .[/quote]

First of all Mr. "Guru": You're confusing things to begin with since you're not talking about the Copy-to-self timestamp here but the sending timestamp. Secondly, there's no choice for the latter according to RFC 5322 (highlighted by me):

3.6.1. The Origination Date Field

The origination date field consists of the field name "Date" followed
by a date-time specification.

orig-date = "Date:" date-time CRLF

The origination date specifies the date and time at which the creator
of the message indicated that the message was complete and ready to
enter the mail delivery system. For instance, this might be the time
that a user pushes the "send" or "submit" button in an application
program. In any case, it is specifically not intended to convey the
time that the message is actually transported, but rather the time at
which the human or other creator of the message has put the message
into its final form, ready for transport. (For example, a portable
computer user who is not connected to a network might queue a message
for delivery. The origination date is intended to contain the date

and time that the user queued the message, not the time when the user

connected to the network to send the message.)

IOW: In those cases where delivery time is of importance you should rather take a look at the raw headers of the respective message(s) where SMTP servers insert their respective Received headers including a related timestamp.

[quote user="MikeTheGuru"]As I've noted the timestamp of messages queued for sending is the time the message was queued, not the time it was really sent. <p>Sometimes it is very important to have the <strong>real</strong> sending-timestamp available, so I suggest that this timestamp should be updated during processing the 'send all queued mail' .[/quote]</p><p>First of all Mr. "Guru": You're confusing things to begin with since you're not talking about the Copy-to-self timestamp here but the sending timestamp. Secondly, there's no choice for the latter according to <a href="http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5322.txt" mce_href="http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5322.txt" target="_blank">RFC 5322</a> (highlighted by me):</p><p><blockquote>3.6.1. The Origination Date Field The origination date field consists of the field name "Date" followed by a date-time specification. orig-date = "Date:" date-time CRLF The origination date specifies the date and time at which the creator of the message indicated that the message was complete and ready to enter the mail delivery system. For instance, this might be the time that a user pushes the "send" or "submit" button in an application program. In any case, it is specifically not intended to convey the time that the message is actually transported, but rather the time at which the human or other creator of the message has put the message into its final form, ready for transport. (For example, a portable computer user who is not connected to a network might queue a message for delivery. <strong>The origination date is intended to contain the date </strong><p><strong>and time that the user queued the message, not the time when the user</strong></p><p><strong>connected to the network to send the message.</strong>)</p></blockquote><p>IOW: In those cases where delivery time is of importance you should rather take a look at the raw headers of the respective message(s) where SMTP servers insert their respective <em>Received</em> headers including a related timestamp.</p><p> </p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Hmm, never heard about this before :)

But how I can trace (and proove if necessary) now the time I've sent messages - not only queued? The mentioned headers has the recipient - not I :(

<P>Hmm, never heard about this before :)</P> <P>But how I can trace (and proove if necessary) now the time I've sent messages - not only queued? The mentioned headers has the recipient - not I :(</P>

[quote user="MikeTheGuru"]But how I can trace (and proove if necessary) now the time I've sent messages - not only queued? The mentioned headers has the recipient - not I :([/quote]

If it comes down to legal issues you can't do it yourself anyway, you'd always need someone else to witness (your provider, e.g.). Otherwise send yourself a blind copy (BCC), on Tools => Options => Sending mail you can even enter a permanent BCC address.

<p>[quote user="MikeTheGuru"]But how I can trace (and proove if necessary) now the time I've sent messages - not only queued? The mentioned headers has the recipient - not I :([/quote]</p><p>If it comes down to legal issues you can't do it yourself anyway, you'd always need someone else to witness (your provider, e.g.). Otherwise send yourself a blind copy (BCC), on <em>Tools => Options => Sending mail</em> you can even enter a permanent BCC address.</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft