Community Discussions and Support
How to change to local installations from single remote program?

On 2 Jul 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am thinking that I might have fewer crashes caused by loss of
> connectivity on a wireless laptop by installing Pegasus Mail locally
> on my laptop, accessing the mailbox on the remote machine.
>
> 1. Will this help with this problem?

Might help.  
>
> 2. How would I go about making this change?

1.    Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and note your current HOME & NEW mail directory setup.  IIRC, yours should already be in UNC format like \\server\volume\pmail\mail\~8

2.    Install Pegasus Mail to c:\pmail on the laptop.

3.    Go to c:\pmail\programs and run pconfig.exe.  Change the Standalone Home and NEW mail directory spec to point at the current server mailbox location.  Save and exit.

Now the program is running locally and points at the remote location of the folders.   

You can also simply use IMAP4 from the local version of WinPMail on the laptop (my preference in fact) via your Mercury/32 setup so that the loss of connectivity with the mailbox directories will be further isolated.  Makes it better when the laptop goes on the road as well.

>
> I know this is probably quite simple, but I need to be sure of my
> steps.
>
> Are there advantages to either system? What if I want to open the
> same user on another machine on the network - not at the same time,
> of course).
>
> Thanks
>
> Ellie
>  

On 2 Jul 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; Hello all, &amp;gt; &amp;gt; I am thinking that I might have fewer crashes caused by loss of &amp;gt; connectivity on a wireless laptop by installing Pegasus Mail locally &amp;gt; on my laptop, accessing the mailbox on the remote machine. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; 1. Will this help with this problem? Might help. &amp;nbsp; &amp;gt; &amp;gt; 2. How would I go about making this change? 1.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info and note your current HOME &amp;amp; NEW mail directory setup.&amp;nbsp; IIRC, yours should already be in UNC format like \\server\volume\pmail\mail\~8 2.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;Install Pegasus Mail to c:\pmail on the laptop. 3.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;Go to c:\pmail\programs and run pconfig.exe.&amp;nbsp; Change the Standalone Home and NEW mail directory spec to point at the current server mailbox location.&amp;nbsp; Save and exit. Now the program is running locally and points at the remote location of the folders.&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp; You can also simply use IMAP4 from the local version of WinPMail on the laptop (my preference in fact) via your Mercury/32 setup so that the loss of connectivity with the mailbox directories will be further isolated.&amp;nbsp; Makes it better when the laptop goes on the road as well. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; I know this is probably quite simple, but I need to be sure of my &amp;gt; steps. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Are there advantages to either system? What if I want to open the &amp;gt; same user on another machine on the network - not at the same time, &amp;gt; of course). &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Thanks &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Ellie &amp;gt; &amp;nbsp;

Hello all,

I am thinking that I might have fewer crashes caused by loss of connectivity on a wireless laptop by installing Pegasus Mail locally on my laptop, accessing the mailbox on the remote machine.

1. Will this help with this problem?

2. How would I go about making this change?

I know this is probably quite simple, but I need to be sure of my steps.

Are there advantages to either system? What if I want to open the same user on another machine on the network - not at the same time, of course).

Thanks

Ellie

&lt;p&gt;Hello all,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I am thinking that I might have fewer crashes caused by loss of connectivity on a wireless laptop by installing Pegasus Mail locally on my laptop, accessing the mailbox on the remote machine.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;1. Will this help with this problem?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;2. How would I go about making this change?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I know this is probably quite simple, but I need to be sure of my steps.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Are there advantages to either system? What if I want to open the same user on another machine on the network - not at the same time, of course).&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Ellie &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft