Community Discussions and Support
IMAP4, duplicates

Thx!

Installed the beta version, duplicates not resolved, haven't had a chance to see whether the slowness has been fixed. Meantime I did find out that my duplicates issue seems to be Android related; see http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4761 , though the thread suggests that its a bad sever implementation. But the number of different servers mentioned with the problem imho indicate a client issue nontheless. Still not entirely sure as I had the issue with AgendusMail on the Palm device as well...

<P>Thx!</P> <P>Installed the beta version, duplicates not resolved, haven't had a chance to see whether the slowness has been fixed. Meantime I did find out that my duplicates issue seems to be Android related; see <A href="http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4761">http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4761</A> , though the thread suggests that its a bad sever implementation. But the number of different servers mentioned with the problem imho indicate a client issue nontheless. Still not entirely sure as I had the issue with AgendusMail on the Palm device as well...</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Some of our users are complaining about duplicate messages when synchronizing their client with our Mercury/32 v4.51 servers. Does anyone else see this behaviour?

Some of our users are complaining about duplicate messages when synchronizing their client with our Mercury/32 v4.51 servers. Does anyone else see this behaviour?

We don't but I've not turned on work offline for anyone yet...   Is it clients with work offline enabled who see this problem?   I assume from your wording it is.   I will set mine up to do this at home tonight and monitor the situation.  

You could try checking the box to clear the IMAP Cache when disconnecting, this might slow things a bit but it may also fix the problem.

What happens if you move files from your IMAP inbox to folders while working offline?

<p>We don't but I've not turned on work offline for anyone yet...   Is it clients with work offline enabled who see this problem?   I assume from your wording it is.   I will set mine up to do this at home tonight and monitor the situation.   </p><p>You could try checking the box to clear the IMAP Cache when disconnecting, this might slow things a bit but it may also fix the problem. </p><p> What happens if you move files from your IMAP inbox to folders while working offline?  </p>

Thx, I'll look into the cache.

The clients are mostly web based.

<P>Thx, I'll look into the cache.</P> <P>The clients are mostly web based.</P>

I am using Mercury/32 version 4.52 with the IMAP server.  I have two Outlook 2007 clients connecting to the server.  Mail is sent and received correctly and folders are syncing fine between the two clients.

Nightly, I get a duplicate of every email I received and deleted from the begining of running Mercury/32.  I do not know what time this occurs, but in the morning I have every email I've deleted since first running Mercury/32 two weeks ago.  Both clients show the emails and when I go through and delete them again from one client, the other client correctly sends/receives and removes them again.

I understand with IMAP that mail has to be marked for deletion, so it actually is not removed until purged by the particular client.  In my testing, I can not permanently delete mail from the Main inbox because I get a permission denied.. some one else may be using this folder (with and without the second client running).  I can successfully permanently delete (purge function in Outlook 2007) mail from sub folders with no error.

I am reporting duplicate emails wih IMAP server for Mercury/32 v. 4.52

<P>I am using Mercury/32 version 4.52 with the IMAP server.  I have two Outlook 2007 clients connecting to the server.  Mail is sent and received correctly and folders are syncing fine between the two clients.</P> <P>Nightly, I get a duplicate of every email I received and deleted from the begining of running Mercury/32.  I do not know what time this occurs, but in the morning I have every email I've deleted since first running Mercury/32 two weeks ago.  Both clients show the emails and when I go through and delete them again from one client, the other client correctly sends/receives and removes them again.</P> <P>I understand with IMAP that mail has to be marked for deletion, so it actually is not removed until purged by the particular client.  In my testing, I can not permanently delete mail from the Main inbox because I get a permission denied.. some one else may be using this folder (with and without the second client running).  I can successfully permanently delete (purge function in Outlook 2007) mail from sub folders with no error.</P> <P>I am reporting duplicate emails wih IMAP server for Mercury/32 v. 4.52</P>

Sorry I haven't updated this thread with my findings, and the dialogue on the beta list.

The duplicates are reproducable under certain circumstances, and David is looking into how to fix this both in short term and in the longer run.

My original message to the beta development below

David,

I've had many users complaining about getting duplicate messages. I've

always thought it was the webmail client, but sorry - it is Mercury - and

the behaviour is the same in both 4.5x as in 4.6. Finally I found out how

this works (sorry to have messed up my client mailbox very badly today)

I know I don't understand the inner workings that well, so forgive me for

faulty assumptions here.

Here it goes:

Some users share mailboxes, thus they have different settings in their pop3

client. Some of these also use Imap over the webmail client. To reproduce

the problem:

1. I created a new maildrop,

2. dropped a fresh Y#####.cnm file in it.

3. Went to the Imap client and synchronized the maildrop, thus leaving the

message on the server.

4. Poped the maildrop, with the setting to leave emails on the server,

... The filename changes to !#####.cnm

5. Go back to the Imap client and do a new synchronization,

... voila - you have another - identical message, but the first one is

marked as having been deleted from the server.

The error shows within _INBOX_.PNM which doesn't correlate the message with

the changed letter from Y to ! In recognizing the unique message but very

much the same message.

_INBOX_.PNM Round One:

V 1196293373

N 2

U 1 YZQPDYGN.CNM

_INBOX_.PNM Round Two:

V 1196293373

N 3

U 2 !ZQPDYGN.CNM

Now I can see that this is not so easy to fix... Since if I create a folder,

and move the message into this folder - the entire structure changes.

Meaning, the message is moved into a fol###.PMM file, though the index is

saying: (folxyz.PNM)

V 1196295087

N 2

U 1 2ZQPDYGN.CNM

The file 2ZQPDYGN.CNM doesn't exist anymore, it exists within the fol###.PMM

file.

Now there might again (though slim chance) be another message with the same

filename as in one of the folders, and voila we will corrupt the maildrop.

Afaik the messages must be unique within a maildrop, regardless of the

logical structure presented to the user/s of a maildrop.

If I drop the same read file again, and moves it into the folder, the

following happens to (folxyz.PNM)

V 1196295087

N 3

U 1 2ZQPDYGN.CNM

U 2 TZQPDYGN.CNM

Don't know what T stands for, but the message is marked as unknown status in

the IMAP client.

If I move any one message back into the _INBOX_ meaning the maildrop root, a

completely new file is created starting with a number. If I again pop my

account, the email is once again downloaded creating yet another copy in my

inbox. Since I pop, and leave the message behind - I get yet another copy in

my IMAP client...

Task plan:

for v4.6 please treat the poped messages in the inbox, as the same message,

meaning Y123.CNM = !123.CNM

For v4.7 or 5 if you wish: keep messages in a flat folder structure, one

message is one file. Do not move them into subcontainers. Only use the

subcontainers as indexes of what messages belongs to what folder. A

conversion software will be needed to convert imap maildrops.

For v4.8 or 5 if you wish: expand the folder indexing into two files, one

containing subfolders, the other containing messages.

Hope this helps a bit on the way / Peter

<P>Sorry I haven't updated this thread with my findings, and the dialogue on the beta list.</P> <P>The duplicates are reproducable under certain circumstances, and David is looking into how to fix this both in short term and in the longer run.</P> <P>My original message to the beta development below</P><PRE>David, I've had many users complaining about getting duplicate messages. I've always thought it was the webmail client, but sorry - it is Mercury - and the behaviour is the same in both 4.5x as in 4.6. Finally I found out how this works (sorry to have messed up my client mailbox very badly today) I know I don't understand the inner workings that well, so forgive me for faulty assumptions here. Here it goes: Some users share mailboxes, thus they have different settings in their pop3 client. Some of these also use Imap over the webmail client. To reproduce the problem: 1. I created a new maildrop, 2. dropped a fresh Y#####.cnm file in it. 3. Went to the Imap client and synchronized the maildrop, thus leaving the message on the server. 4. Poped the maildrop, with the setting to leave emails on the server, ... The filename changes to !#####.cnm 5. Go back to the Imap client and do a new synchronization, ... voila - you have another - identical message, but the first one is marked as having been deleted from the server. The error shows within _INBOX_.PNM which doesn't correlate the message with the changed letter from Y to ! In recognizing the unique message but very much the same message. _INBOX_.PNM Round One: V 1196293373 N 2 U 1 YZQPDYGN.CNM _INBOX_.PNM Round Two: V 1196293373 N 3 U 2 !ZQPDYGN.CNM ... Now I can see that this is not so easy to fix... Since if I create a folder, and move the message into this folder - the entire structure changes. Meaning, the message is moved into a fol###.PMM file, though the index is saying: (folxyz.PNM) V 1196295087 N 2 U 1 2ZQPDYGN.CNM The file 2ZQPDYGN.CNM doesn't exist anymore, it exists within the fol###.PMM file. Now there might again (though slim chance) be another message with the same filename as in one of the folders, and voila we will corrupt the maildrop. Afaik the messages must be unique within a maildrop, regardless of the logical structure presented to the user/s of a maildrop. If I drop the same read file again, and moves it into the folder, the following happens to (folxyz.PNM) V 1196295087 N 3 U 1 2ZQPDYGN.CNM U 2 TZQPDYGN.CNM Don't know what T stands for, but the message is marked as unknown status in the IMAP client. If I move any one message back into the _INBOX_ meaning the maildrop root, a completely new file is created starting with a number. If I again pop my account, the email is once again downloaded creating yet another copy in my inbox. Since I pop, and leave the message behind - I get yet another copy in my IMAP client... Task plan: for v4.6 please treat the poped messages in the inbox, as the same message, meaning Y123.CNM = !123.CNM For v4.7 or 5 if you wish: keep messages in a flat folder structure, one message is one file. Do not move them into subcontainers. Only use the subcontainers as indexes of what messages belongs to what folder. A conversion software will be needed to convert imap maildrops. For v4.8 or 5 if you wish: expand the folder indexing into two files, one containing subfolders, the other containing messages. Hope this helps a bit on the way / Peter </PRE> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]

4. Poped the maildrop, 

[/quote]

Things always get screwed up when religion is involved [:P] 

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]<pre>4. Poped the maildrop, </pre><p>[/quote]</p><p>Things always get screwed up when religion is involved [:P] </p>

great comment - just made my going to bed with a large silly smile

great comment - just made my going to bed with a large silly smile

Hi,

I have a similar problem, yet don't know whether its related. I'm using both Outlook 2007, Windows Mail (prev. Outlook Express) and iambic AgendusMail (mail clinet for Palm OS mobile devices).

I have Outlook setup with a the autoarchive on my sent items folder at 1 day. Basically everyday the sent items gets emptied into my local archive and is then no longer available on the IMAP server. Now whenerv I sync with AgendusMail on my phone, Agendus starts uploading all the archived messages back in to the sent items folder.

Strange thing in this case; only happens with my sent items folder.

Are there any updates regarding this problem?

regards

Tieske

<P>Hi,</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>I have a similar problem, yet don't know whether its related. I'm using both Outlook 2007, Windows Mail (prev. Outlook Express) and iambic AgendusMail (mail clinet for Palm OS mobile devices).</P> <P>I have Outlook setup with a the autoarchive on my sent items folder at 1 day. Basically everyday the sent items gets emptied into my local archive and is then no longer available on the IMAP server. Now whenerv I sync with AgendusMail on my phone, Agendus starts uploading all the archived messages back in to the sent items folder.</P> <P>Strange thing in this case; only happens with my sent items folder.</P> <P>Are there any updates regarding this problem?</P> <P>regards</P> <P>Tieske</P>

If it's AgendusMail that's doing the syncing you will probably need to investigate it from that end. Mercury won't initiate any transfer.

/Rolf 

<p>If it's AgendusMail that's doing the syncing you will probably need to investigate it from that end. Mercury won't initiate any transfer. </p><p>/Rolf </p>

I have just started seeing this issue.  We have had 2 users connecting via IMAP4 on Windows boxes using Outlook and Outlook express with no issues for quite some time. However, I just set up our owner to use IMAP4 on his MacPowerbook, and we are seeing this duplicates occur with MacMail 3.6.  Anyone using this type of setup and seeing the duplicates?  Wondering if it's something in the setup.  I can log into the Powerbook and tap in my Pmail mailbox on the server via IMAP and not getting duplicates.  However with his mailbox we keep getting the duplicates. 

Oh yeah, the owner has a regular account on the network and a regular Pegasus Mail mailbox.  He's using the IMAP to connect remotely.  My testing was the same, remotely, for my mailbox.

Any insight as to ideas for further testing would be appreciated!

Thanks

Val

<p>I have just started seeing this issue.  We have had 2 users connecting via IMAP4 on Windows boxes using Outlook and Outlook express with no issues for quite some time. However, I just set up our owner to use IMAP4 on his MacPowerbook, and we are seeing this duplicates occur with MacMail 3.6.  Anyone using this type of setup and seeing the duplicates?  Wondering if it's something in the setup.  I can log into the Powerbook and tap in my Pmail mailbox on the server via IMAP and not getting duplicates.  However with his mailbox we keep getting the duplicates.  </p><p> Oh yeah, the owner has a regular account on the network and a regular Pegasus Mail mailbox.  He's using the IMAP to connect remotely.  My testing was the same, remotely, for my mailbox. </p><p> </p><p>Any insight as to ideas for further testing would be appreciated!</p><p> </p><p>Thanks</p><p> </p><p>Val </p>

[quote user="Rolf Lindby"]If it's AgendusMail that's doing the syncing you will probably need to investigate it from that end. Mercury won't initiate any transfer.[/quote]

Its been a while, I settled with the duplicates and did a cleanup once every while, but... problem persists. I recently switched phones, so I retired my Palm Treo 650 with AgendusMail, and replaced it by a Samsung Galaxy S, Android phone. The android phone has a 3G capability so sync rate is up from manual (once a day average) to every hour. Duplicates are now increasing substantially.

I previously noticed that having Outlook and an iPhone (other user) accessing the IMAP mailbox simultaneously slows down the connection to an almost standstill. Could this be related? multiple clients? Will see wether I can run some tests on this.

<P>[quote user="Rolf Lindby"]If it's AgendusMail that's doing the syncing you will probably need to investigate it from that end. Mercury won't initiate any transfer.[/quote]</P> <P>Its been a while, I settled with the duplicates and did a cleanup once every while, but... problem persists. I recently switched phones, so I retired my Palm Treo 650 with AgendusMail, and replaced it by a Samsung Galaxy S, Android phone. The android phone has a 3G capability so sync rate is up from manual (once a day average) to every hour. Duplicates are now increasing substantially.</P> <P>I previously noticed that having Outlook and an iPhone (other user) accessing the IMAP mailbox simultaneously slows down the connection to an almost standstill. Could this be related? multiple clients? Will see wether I can run some tests on this.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

There is a beta version of Mercury being tested right now that has some additional code for dealing with various issues due to newer IMAP clients with a different view on how the protocol should be used. This should for instance prevent Apple Mail from starting a large number of sessions when downloading messages, which has been known to cause heavy system load.

Simultaneous access to an IMAP mailbox from more than one client can certainly cause problems, but it could be that the new version will help with the other issues you have experienced.

/Rolf 

<p>There is a beta version of Mercury being tested right now that has some additional code for dealing with various issues due to newer IMAP clients with a different view on how the protocol should be used. This should for instance prevent Apple Mail from starting a large number of sessions when downloading messages, which has been known to cause heavy system load.</p><p>Simultaneous access to an IMAP mailbox from more than one client can certainly cause problems, but it could be that the new version will help with the other issues you have experienced.</p><p>/Rolf </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft