Notice: Undefined offset: 68 in /var/www/codoforum/sys/CODOF/Forum/Category.php on line 241

Notice: Trying to get property 'cat_name' of non-object in /var/www/codoforum/sys/CODOF/Forum/Category.php on line 241

Notice: Undefined offset: 68 in /var/www/codoforum/sys/CODOF/Forum/Category.php on line 242

Notice: Trying to get property 'cat_alias' of non-object in /var/www/codoforum/sys/CODOF/Forum/Category.php on line 242

Notice: Undefined offset: 68 in /var/www/codoforum/sys/CODOF/Forum/Category.php on line 238

Notice: Trying to get property 'cat_pid' of non-object in /var/www/codoforum/sys/CODOF/Forum/Category.php on line 238
IMAP with Exchange 2010 | PMAIL COMMUNITY
IMAP
IMAP with Exchange 2010

Hi Olaf!

Thanks so much for your reply and indeed it worked!

[quote user="FJR"]

[quote user="BoarX"]I realised to my disappointment that many of Pegasus strongest features, like Spamhalter, autofiltering, etc. do not work with IMAP inbox - got excited about these since I haven't upgraded since 2004, but then what a bummer![/quote]

Your university has central IMAP-Server but no central SPAM-control? Strange!

[/quote]

Well, they do have central SPAM-control, but since substantial portion of my incoming e-mails are in Cyrillic, rather than English/Latin, that central SPAM-control tends to generate false positives, so I prefer to do filtering with Pegasus, when everything is under my own control - and so far it worked pretty well with just Content Control and now there is also Spamhalter.

[quote user="FJR"] 

[quote user="BoarX"]1. Create folder-on-open filtering rule for IMAP inbox forcing all messages from there to be moved to local inbox. I figure this will require extra click to open IMAP inbox, but I can live with that.[/quote]

Create a "General filtering rule" (have a look for correct menue ... I translate from german Pegasus - sorry). Maybe you call it "IMAP-INBOX". Create a rule on attributes NOT read (choose "read mail" and "NOT" at the buttom). Because of last step you may not want to copy all mails to local inbox.

[/quote]

Why, in fact I don't intend to read any messages in IMAP inbox, even when I see them there, thus all the messages that ever get there are going to be unread and hence get filtered. Thus the rule I created applies unconditionally to all messages in IMAP inbox. Even if they eventually end up in some IMAP folder, I don't mind extra net traffic. That way I let my SPAM-filter do its work before I even try to open anything.

[quote user="FJR"] 

[quote user="BoarX"]2. Hopefully such move will invoke all Pegasus "normal" processing - Global Whitelist, Spamhalter, Content Control, Autofiltering, etc. - but will it? That's the main question![/quote]

Should do!

[/quote]

Yay, it does!

[quote user="FJR"] 

[quote user="BoarX"]3. Move read messages from local inbox back to relevant IMAP folders as needed.[/quote]

Due to one the porcessed files should not be copied to IMAP inbox or they should be marked read. Another way may be to set a color in step one to indicate files to be already processed.

[/quote]

Of course it doesn't make sense to copy anything back into IMAP inbox, as the result is going to be an endless filtering loop. I usually copy messages to folders manually, but may try autofiltering in future.

All in all, the method does work, just requires two extra clicks of a mouse: first on IMAP inbox to initiate associated filter and second on local inbox to initiate SPAM-filter, content control, white//blacklists, etc. There are some issues with Pegasus IMAP functionality when connected to Exchange, but I am going to report them separately.

Have fun everyone!

<P>Hi Olaf!</P> <P>Thanks so much for your reply and indeed it worked!</P> <P> [quote user="FJR"] </P> <P>[quote user="BoarX"]I realised to my disappointment that many of Pegasus strongest features, like Spamhalter, autofiltering, etc. do not work with IMAP inbox - got excited about these since I haven't upgraded since 2004, but then what a bummer![/quote]</P> <P>Your university has central IMAP-Server but no central SPAM-control? Strange! </P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P>Well, they do have central SPAM-control, but since substantial portion of my incoming e-mails are in Cyrillic, rather than English/Latin, that central SPAM-control tends to generate false positives, so I prefer to do filtering with Pegasus, when everything is under my own control - and so far it worked pretty well with just Content Control and now there is also Spamhalter.</P> <P>[quote user="FJR"] </P> <P>[quote user="BoarX"]1. Create folder-on-open filtering rule for IMAP inbox forcing all messages from there to be moved to local inbox. I figure this will require extra click to open IMAP inbox, but I can live with that.[/quote]</P> <P>Create a "General filtering rule" (have a look for correct menue ... I translate from german Pegasus - sorry). Maybe you call it "IMAP-INBOX". Create a rule on attributes NOT read (choose "read mail" and "NOT" at the buttom). Because of last step you may not want to copy all mails to local inbox. </P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P>Why, in fact I don't intend to read any messages in IMAP inbox, even when I see them there, thus all the messages that ever get there are going to be unread and hence get filtered. Thus the rule I created applies unconditionally to all messages in IMAP inbox. Even if they eventually end up in some IMAP folder, I don't mind extra net traffic. That way I let my SPAM-filter do its work before I even try to open anything.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>[quote user="FJR"] </P> <P>[quote user="BoarX"]2. Hopefully such move will invoke all Pegasus "normal" processing - Global Whitelist, Spamhalter, Content Control, Autofiltering, etc. - but will it? That's the main question![/quote]</P> <P>Should do! </P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P>Yay, it does!</P> <P>[quote user="FJR"] </P> <P>[quote user="BoarX"]3. Move read messages from local inbox back to relevant IMAP folders as needed.[/quote]</P> <P>Due to one the porcessed files should not be copied to IMAP inbox or they should be marked read. Another way may be to set a color in step one to indicate files to be already processed. </P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P>Of course it doesn't make sense to copy anything back into IMAP inbox, as the result is going to be an endless filtering loop. I usually copy messages to folders manually, but may try autofiltering in future.</P> <P>All in all, the method does work, just requires two extra clicks of a mouse: first on IMAP inbox to initiate associated filter and second on local inbox to initiate SPAM-filter, content control, white//blacklists, etc. There are some issues with Pegasus IMAP functionality when connected to Exchange, but I am going to report them separately.</P> <P>Have fun everyone!</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Hi all,

After happily (well, 98% of the time :)) using Pegasus for my e-mail over POP3 connection for 10+ years, I am now forced into some major change. My university decided to move all mail to M$ Exchange 2010 without POP3 support - not that POP3 is not available under Exchange, but they figured it was "outdated" and decided to save money on it. Alas, I am forced to use IMAP - thankfully it is still supported. At first I thought it was in a way a positive development - after all I can get all my folders (hundreds of them, 1Gb+ space) be stored on the central and regularly backed up server, while being able to access them from anywhere I am. I was able to establish IMAP connection without much trouble and it seems working, but then, after some experimentation and perusing this forum, I realised to my disappointment that many of Pegasus strongest features, like Spamhalter, autofiltering, etc. do not work with IMAP inbox - got excited about these since I haven't upgraded since 2004, but then what a bummer!

Long story short, being new to filtering, I am wondering if something like this may still work:

1. Create folder-on-open filtering rule for IMAP inbox forcing all messages from there to be moved to local inbox. I figure this will require extra click to open IMAP inbox, but I can live with that.

2. Hopefully such move will invoke all Pegasus "normal" processing - Global Whitelist, Spamhalter, Content Control, Autofiltering, etc. - but will it? That's the main question!

3. Move read messages from local inbox back to relevant IMAP folders as needed.

This of course will result in lots of back and forth net traffic, but these days with connections getting faster and faster it shouldn't be an issue anymore.

As I understand, all this IMAP "deficiency" stems from the fact that Pegasus cannot "sense" when new mail appears in IMAP inbox, since incoming transport is now handled by remote server, not Pegasus itself. However I see that Pegasus is able to periodically poll that inbox and I am puzzled as to why such poll cannot trigger some scenario similar to one described above?

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!

<P>Hi all,</P> <P>After happily (well, 98% of the time :)) using Pegasus for my e-mail over POP3 connection for 10+ years, I am now forced into some major change. My university decided to move all mail to M$ Exchange 2010 without POP3 support - not that POP3 is not available under Exchange, but they figured it was "outdated" and decided to save money on it. Alas, I am forced to use IMAP - thankfully it is still supported. At first I thought it was in a way a positive development - after all I can get all my folders (hundreds of them, 1Gb+ space) be stored on the central and regularly backed up server, while being able to access them from anywhere I am. I was able to establish IMAP connection without much trouble and it seems working, but then, after some experimentation and perusing this forum, I realised to my disappointment that many of Pegasus strongest features, like Spamhalter, autofiltering, etc. do not work with IMAP inbox - got excited about these since I haven't upgraded since 2004, but then what a bummer!</P> <P>Long story short, being new to filtering, I am wondering if something like this may still work: </P> <P>1. Create folder-on-open filtering rule for IMAP inbox forcing all messages from there to be moved to local inbox. I figure this will require extra click to open IMAP inbox, but I can live with that.</P> <P>2. Hopefully such move will invoke all Pegasus "normal" processing - Global Whitelist, Spamhalter, Content Control, Autofiltering, etc. - but will it? That's the main question!</P> <P>3. Move read messages from local inbox back to relevant IMAP folders as needed.</P> <P>This of course will result in lots of back and forth net traffic, but these days with connections getting faster and faster it shouldn't be an issue anymore. </P> <P>As I understand, all this IMAP "deficiency" stems from the fact that Pegasus cannot "sense" when new mail appears in IMAP inbox, since incoming transport is now handled by remote server, not Pegasus itself. However I see that Pegasus is able to periodically poll that inbox and I am puzzled as to why such poll cannot trigger some scenario similar to one described above?</P> <P>Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="BoarX"]I realised to my disappointment that many of Pegasus strongest features, like Spamhalter, autofiltering, etc. do not work with IMAP inbox - got excited about these since I haven't upgraded since 2004, but then what a bummer![/quote]

Your university has central IMAP-Server but no central SPAM-control? Strange!

[quote]1. Create folder-on-open filtering rule for IMAP inbox forcing all messages from there to be moved to local inbox. I figure this will require extra click to open IMAP inbox, but I can live with that.[/quote]

Create a "General filtering rule" (have a look for correct menue ... I translate from german Pegasus - sorry). Maybe you call it "IMAP-INBOX". Create a rule on attributes NOT read (choose "read mail" and "NOT" at the buttom). Because of last step you may not want to copy all mails to local inbox.

[quote]2. Hopefully such move will invoke all Pegasus "normal" processing - Global Whitelist, Spamhalter, Content Control, Autofiltering, etc. - but will it? That's the main question![/quote]

Should do!

[quote]3. Move read messages from local inbox back to relevant IMAP folders as needed.[/quote]

Due to one the porcessed files should not be copied to IMAP inbox or they should be marked read. Another way may be to set a color in step one to indicate files to be already processed.

bye   Olaf

<p>[quote user="BoarX"]I realised to my disappointment that many of Pegasus strongest features, like Spamhalter, autofiltering, etc. do not work with IMAP inbox - got excited about these since I haven't upgraded since 2004, but then what a bummer![/quote]</p><p>Your university has central IMAP-Server but no central SPAM-control? Strange! </p><p>[quote]1. Create folder-on-open filtering rule for IMAP inbox forcing all messages from there to be moved to local inbox. I figure this will require extra click to open IMAP inbox, but I can live with that.[/quote]</p><p>Create a "General filtering rule" (have a look for correct menue ... I translate from german Pegasus - sorry). Maybe you call it "IMAP-INBOX". Create a rule on attributes NOT read (choose "read mail" and "NOT" at the buttom). Because of last step you may not want to copy all mails to local inbox. </p><p>[quote]2. Hopefully such move will invoke all Pegasus "normal" processing - Global Whitelist, Spamhalter, Content Control, Autofiltering, etc. - but will it? That's the main question![/quote]</p><p>Should do! </p> <p>[quote]3. Move read messages from local inbox back to relevant IMAP folders as needed.[/quote]</p><p>Due to one the porcessed files should not be copied to IMAP inbox or they should be marked read. Another way may be to set a color in step one to indicate files to be already processed. </p> <p>bye   Olaf</p><p>  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft