Developer's musings
How to make a developer feel wanted

I received this message today, completely unsolicited, from Keith Harris, a long-time user of Pegasus Mail.

-------------------- cut here --------------------

Your

program fails sadly now big time.

I add an

email to a distribution list and also to the safe sender list but it still comes

up as junk mail.

This is no

longer a program anyone wants on their system.

I have

tried to stay true to you but if this crap keeps on gettiing worse, as it is, I

will move away and no longer recommend you.

David, the

recommendations I personally made to you were never

implemented.

V 6.43

includes NONE of my recommendations.

Get it

right sunshine or get lost.

Keith

[Harris]

-------------------- cut here --------------------

I am very old-school, and it shocks me to think that *anyone* could send a message like this - it was like a physical blow.

Nonetheless, it brings home to me forcefully the fact that I may be simply flogging a dead horse. The last four years have been terribly difficult for me, doing dreary code modermization and surviving on almost no income, purely because I believed there were still users out there who valued my work and for whom it continued to provide benefits. But maybe I'm simply wasting everyone's time continuing work on Pegasus Mail? There are days when I really feel like I'm living in a total vacuum, and it's now nearly impossible for me to tell whether or not I'm actually doing anyone any good any more.

If you feel the time has come when I no longer serve a useful purpose, when my work no longer has enough worth to continue labouring on it, now is certainly the time to tell me - if I'm just prolonging everyone's misery, for Heaven's sake, let me know.

-- David --

I received this message today, completely unsolicited, from Keith Harris, a long-time user of Pegasus Mail. -------------------- cut here -------------------- <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Your program fails sadly now big time.</span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> </span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">I add an email to a distribution list and also to the safe sender list but it still comes up as junk mail.</span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> </span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">This is no longer a program anyone wants on their system.</span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> </span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">I have tried to stay true to you but if this crap keeps on gettiing worse, as it is, I will move away and no longer recommend you.</span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> </span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">David, the recommendations I personally made to you were never implemented.</span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> </span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">V 6.43 includes NONE of my recommendations.</span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> </span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Get it right sunshine or get lost.</span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> </span></font></div> <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Keith [Harris]</span></font></div>-------------------- cut here -------------------- <div align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"> I am very old-school, and it shocks me to think that *anyone* could send a message like this - it was like a physical blow. Nonetheless, it brings home to me forcefully the fact that I may be simply flogging a dead horse. The last four years have been terribly difficult for me, doing dreary code modermization and surviving on almost no income, purely because I believed there were still users out there who valued my work and for whom it continued to provide benefits. But maybe I'm simply wasting everyone's time continuing work on Pegasus Mail? There are days when I really feel like I'm living in a total vacuum, and it's now nearly impossible for me to tell whether or not I'm actually doing anyone any good any more. If you feel the time has come when I no longer serve a useful purpose, when my work no longer has enough worth to continue labouring on it, now is certainly the time to tell me - if I'm just prolonging everyone's misery, for Heaven's sake, let me know. -- David -- </span></font></div>

There will always be users who appreciate your work David. And admirers of your perseverance/persistence.

If the number of users is declining(?), that will have eventual implications (well after version 5.0 hopefully).

P.S. I hope Keith is not a Kiwi.

There will always be users who appreciate your work David. And admirers of your perseverance/persistence. If the number of users is declining(?), that will have eventual implications (well after version 5.0 hopefully). P.S. I hope Keith is not a Kiwi.

I certainly hope you don't give up, I've been using Pegasus for practically as long as I've been on the Internet and would feel pretty lost without it.

I certainly hope you don't give up, I've been using Pegasus for practically as long as I've been on the Internet and would feel pretty lost without it.

Please David, don't give up.

Don't let one frustrated user cast a big cloud over the many silent appreciators whom certainly do value your work and dedication.

Please David, don't give up. Don't let one frustrated user cast a big cloud over the many silent appreciators whom certainly do value your work and dedication.

Pegasus doesn't have all the features I would like, and there are bugs (features?) I've reported that still go unfixed, but overall I am really happy with the program. David, I Paypal'd you a token of my appreciation for your good work. Hang in there!

Pegasus doesn't have all the features I would like, and there are bugs (features?) I've reported that still go unfixed, but overall I am really happy with the program. David, I Paypal'd you a token of my appreciation for your good work. Hang in there!

Dear David,

I don't remember exactly when I started to use Pegasus Mail. It must have been about 20 years or so now.

I still think it's one of the best e-mail clients for Windows.

I very much appreciate your work and like to say thank you! Please keep on maintaining and improving it!

The idea of the previous poster Coruscatus to do a donation is very good. I will do the same! Here's the link: http://www.pmail.com/donate.htm

Cheers,

Tobias

Dear David, I don't remember exactly when I started to use Pegasus Mail. It must have been about 20 years or so now. I still think it's one of the best e-mail clients for Windows. I very much appreciate your work and like to say thank you! Please keep on maintaining and improving it! The idea of the previous poster Coruscatus to do a donation is very good. I will do the same! Here's the link: http://www.pmail.com/donate.htm Cheers, Tobias

David,

Pegasus is the 1st email program I've ever used, back in 1993 at university, to exchange messages with girl who later became my wife. I might still have some of those messages somewhere on a floppy (if only I still had a floppy drive).

When I became a heavy email user a few years later, I started to hunt for the winged horse and deployed it in my company.

I've moved on since, changed job and operating system but I still long for Pegasus: no other email client has been able to do for me what your program did (if only it was native to Linux...).

So, don't let a few negative emails discourage you. Actually, why don't you train your spam filter to move those to the trash right away?

The decision will ultimately come from within you but I believe you have a community of faithful users who support you. And remember, Pegasus might have its problems but everything else is worse!!

Cheers!

Laurent

David, Pegasus is the 1st email program I've ever used, back in 1993 at university, to exchange messages with girl who later became my wife. I might still have some of those messages somewhere on a floppy (if only I still had a floppy drive). When I became a heavy email user a few years later, I started to hunt for the winged horse and deployed it in my company. I've moved on since, changed job and operating system but I still long for Pegasus: no other email client has been able to do for me what your program did (if only it was native to Linux...). So, don't let a few negative emails discourage you. Actually, why don't you train your spam filter to move those to the trash right away? The decision will ultimately come from within you but I believe you have a community of faithful users who support you. And remember, Pegasus might have its problems but everything else is worse!! Cheers! Laurent

David,

It must be very hard to receive such an email, but I am sure that there are many more "positive" users out there than this one.

I think that a niche market may be to focus on the inherent network capabilities that Pegasus has, there are very few email clients that sit well on servers/NAS storage in the way that Pegasus does. I recommend it to anyone who needs networkable email without picking up the overhead of Microsoft Outhouse/Exchange Ssrver etc. Isn't this why many colleges use it?

I joined your 1000 2 years ago but heard nothing more since, you should contact us all again. I am sure that you will receive a positive response.

Don't let the buggers get you down!

Good luck!

Andy (Buzz) Lighting

David, It must be very hard to receive such an email, but I am sure that there are many more "positive" users out there than this one. I think that a niche market may be to focus on the inherent network capabilities that Pegasus has, there are very few email clients that sit well on servers/NAS storage in the way that Pegasus does. I recommend it to anyone who needs networkable email without picking up the overhead of Microsoft Outhouse/Exchange Ssrver etc. Isn't this why many colleges use it? I joined your 1000 2 years ago but heard nothing more since, you should contact us all again. I am sure that you will receive a positive response. Don't let the buggers get you down! Good luck! Andy (Buzz) Lighting

David,

I am really sorry to hear that you received such an email.

I use Pegasus Mail on a daily basis since 1994 and it works just fine, including SPAM filtering. I appreciate your hard work and I am thankful for your keeping the programme up-to-date (I am one of the 1000).

I think there are many others who like your work. It would be really sad if you gave up because of such a stupid comment.

I would love to see V.5 arrive, but not at the expense of your health and your good mood.

Good luck!

Johannes

David, I am really sorry to hear that you received such an email. I use Pegasus Mail on a daily basis since 1994 and it works just fine, including SPAM filtering. I appreciate your hard work and I am thankful for your keeping the programme up-to-date (I am one of the 1000). I think there are many others who like your work. It would be really sad if you gave up because of such a stupid comment. I would love to see V.5 arrive, but not at the expense of your health and your good mood. Good luck! Johannes

PingBack from http://www.rimonabantexcellence.com/t.php?aHR0cDovL3BtYWlsLnByYWt0aXQuc2UvYmxvZ3Mvd2lucG1haWwvYXJjaGl2ZS8yMDEyLzAyLzAzL2hvdy10by1tYWtlLWEtZGV2ZWxvcGVyLWZlZWwtd2FudGVkLmFzcHg=

PingBack from http://www.rimonabantexcellence.com/t.php?aHR0cDovL3BtYWlsLnByYWt0aXQuc2UvYmxvZ3Mvd2lucG1haWwvYXJjaGl2ZS8yMDEyLzAyLzAzL2hvdy10by1tYWtlLWEtZGV2ZWxvcGVyLWZlZWwtd2FudGVkLmFzcHg=

PingBack from http://www.rimonabantexcellence.com/t.php?aHR0cDovL2NvbW11bml0eS5wbWFpbC5jb20vYmxvZ3Mvd2lucG1haWwvYXJjaGl2ZS8yMDEyLzAyLzAzL2hvdy10by1tYWtlLWEtZGV2ZWxvcGVyLWZlZWwtd2FudGVkLmFzcHg=

PingBack from http://www.rimonabantexcellence.com/t.php?aHR0cDovL2NvbW11bml0eS5wbWFpbC5jb20vYmxvZ3Mvd2lucG1haWwvYXJjaGl2ZS8yMDEyLzAyLzAzL2hvdy10by1tYWtlLWEtZGV2ZWxvcGVyLWZlZWwtd2FudGVkLmFzcHg=
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft