Community Discussions and Support
Can't send e-mails

Okay, well thanks a lot for the help, I'm pretty sure I got it working properly now!  What happened was, I logged into my DNS center and after searching around for a while, I finally found out that, by default, the mail was being redirected to my hotmail account.  I just wish that it wasn't set as default like that without me even knowing, and it would have saved a lot of stress.

Oh and I can send and receieve e-mails properly now, so thanks a lot guys, I really really appreciate it!!   

<p>Okay, well thanks a lot for the help, I'm pretty sure I got it working properly now!  What happened was, I logged into my DNS center and after searching around for a while, I finally found out that, by default, the mail was being redirected to my hotmail account.  I just wish that it wasn't set as default like that without me even knowing, and it would have saved a lot of stress.</p><p>Oh and I can send and receieve e-mails properly now, so thanks a lot guys, I really really appreciate it!!   </p>

Hi,

I'm running Mercury Mail on my server, and I've setup an account called "Kyle" (under Manage Local Users).

Now I setup the SMTP server info (which came from my ISP) into Thunderbird, and it sends mail to any address fine.

However, when I try to send e-mail to that 'kyle' account, it (somehow) gets redirected to my hotmail account instead (i dont know how in the world this is possible!).  I'm 99.999% sure I didn't enter my hotmail e-mail anywhere, and I don't know why or how that happens!  I've had a friend send to the 'kyle' account, but that too ends up in my unrelated hotmail account!

Any ideas?  Thanks for the help in advance!

-Kyle

<p>Hi,</p><p>I'm running Mercury Mail on my server, and I've setup an account called "Kyle" (under Manage Local Users).</p><p>Now I setup the SMTP server info (which came from my ISP) into Thunderbird, and it sends mail to any address fine.</p><p>However, when I try to send e-mail to that 'kyle' account, it (somehow) gets redirected to my hotmail account instead (i dont know how in the world this is possible!).  I'm 99.999% sure I didn't enter my hotmail e-mail anywhere, and I don't know why or how that happens!  I've had a friend send to the 'kyle' account, but that too ends up in my unrelated hotmail account!</p><p> Any ideas?  Thanks for the help in advance!</p><p>-Kyle  </p>

[quote user="trickydude19"]

I'm running Mercury Mail on my server, and I've setup an account called "Kyle" (under Manage Local Users).

[/quote]

You also need to setup a local domain (in the Local Domains tab of Core Module settings)

Now I setup the SMTP server info (which came from my ISP) into Thunderbird, and it sends mail to any address fine.

[/quote]

Thunderbird is using your ISP server to send out mail NOT Mercury.

If you want Merc to be the outgoing mail gateway for your network you need to setup MercS (SMTP module) and configure Thunderbird to use that.

However, when I try to send e-mail to that 'kyle' account, it (somehow) gets redirected to my hotmail account instead (i dont know how in the world this is possible!).  I'm 99.999% sure I didn't enter my hotmail e-mail anywhere, and I don't know why or how that happens!  I've had a friend send to the 'kyle' account, but that too ends up in my unrelated hotmail account!

[/quote]

Sending mail to kyle@(what?).

More info is required for any more help

[quote user="trickydude19"]<p>I'm running Mercury Mail on my server, and I've setup an account called "Kyle" (under Manage Local Users).</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>You also need to setup a local domain (in the Local Domains tab of Core Module settings)</p><p> [quote user="trickydude19"]</p><p>Now I setup the SMTP server info (which came from my ISP) into Thunderbird, and it sends mail to any address fine.</p><p> [/quote]</p><p>Thunderbird is using your ISP server to send out mail NOT Mercury.</p><p>If you want Merc to be the outgoing mail gateway for your network you need to setup MercS (SMTP module) and configure Thunderbird to use that.</p><p>  [quote user="trickydude19"]</p><p>However, when I try to send e-mail to that 'kyle' account, it (somehow) gets redirected to my hotmail account instead (i dont know how in the world this is possible!).  I'm 99.999% sure I didn't enter my hotmail e-mail anywhere, and I don't know why or how that happens!  I've had a friend send to the 'kyle' account, but that too ends up in my unrelated hotmail account!</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Sending mail to kyle@(what?). </p><p>More info is required for any more help </p>

I've already setup a local domain (my website is www.redstreakhosting.com) and I added 2 local domains:

1) redstreakhosting.com

2) www.redstreakhosting.com

I'm not sure how to configure Merc to send outbound through the SMTP module (I went in, but I don't know what to set), but it's not a huge deal if that doesn't work.

As for the 'kyle' account, it is kyle@redstreakhosting.com.  As I stated, I can send e-mail to any e-mail address in Thunderbird from kyle@redstreakhosting.com, but I cannot send any e-mail from any address to kyle@redstreakhosting.com.

Hope this helps, and thanks a bunch for all your help! 

<p>I've already setup a local domain (my website is www.redstreakhosting.com) and I added 2 local domains:</p><p>1) redstreakhosting.com</p><p>2) www.redstreakhosting.com</p><p> </p><p>I'm not sure how to configure Merc to send outbound through the SMTP module (I went in, but I don't know what to set), but it's not a huge deal if that doesn't work.</p><p> </p><p>As for the 'kyle' account, it is kyle@redstreakhosting.com.  As I stated, I can send e-mail to any e-mail address in Thunderbird from kyle@redstreakhosting.com, but I cannot send any e-mail from any address to kyle@redstreakhosting.com.</p><p> </p><p>Hope this helps, and thanks a bunch for all your help! </p>

I'm not sure how to configure Merc to send outbound through the SMTP module (I went in, but I don't know what to set), but it's not a huge deal if that doesn't work.

[/quote] 

If using your ISP'S relay you need MercuryC for sending, but if you have a fixed IP and correctly setup reverse DNS you should use MercuryE. 

As for the 'kyle' account, it is kyle@redstreakhosting.com.  As I stated, I can send e-mail to any e-mail address in Thunderbird from kyle@redstreakhosting.com, but I cannot send any e-mail from any address to kyle@redstreakhosting.com.

[/quote]

Is redstreakhosting.com your domain? It sounds more like a domain of a hosting company.
BTW. there are two MX for redstreakhosting.com, so I assume it is not your domain.

At first please clearify this.

Best regards,

Axel

[quote user="trickydude19"] <P mce_keep="true">I'm not sure how to configure Merc to send outbound through the SMTP module (I went in, but I don't know what to set), but it's not a huge deal if that doesn't work.</P> <P mce_keep="true">[/quote] </P> <P mce_keep="true">If using your ISP'S relay you need MercuryC for sending, but if you have a fixed IP and correctly setup reverse DNS you should use MercuryE. </P> <P mce_keep="true">[quote user="trickydude19"] </P> <P>As for the 'kyle' account, it is kyle@redstreakhosting.com.  As I stated, I can send e-mail to any e-mail address in Thunderbird from kyle@redstreakhosting.com, but I cannot send any e-mail from any address to kyle@redstreakhosting.com.</P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P>Is redstreakhosting.com your domain? It sounds more like a domain of a hosting company. BTW. there are two MX for redstreakhosting.com, so I assume it is not your domain.</P> <P>At first please clearify this.</P> <P>Best regards,</P> <P>Axel</P>

Yes, it is my domain, I'm trying to start a business with a few friends.  It wont be much of a business without e-mail, right? haha  But yeah, it is my own domain.

Thx for the help in advance!

-Kyle 

<p>Yes, it is my domain, I'm trying to start a business with a few friends.  It wont be much of a business without e-mail, right? haha  But yeah, it is my own domain. </p><p> </p><p>Thx for the help in advance!</p><p>-Kyle </p>

[quote user="trickydude19"]anybody have any other suggestions?
[/quote]

It's still not clear at all what you have done.  To send mail via SMTP you must have configured either MercuryC (via a relay host) or MercuryE (direct) to process the mail.  Which have you setup?  The mail to be sent can be received by Mercury/32 either by MercuryS (SMTP or via the queue from Pegasus Mail. 

<p>[quote user="trickydude19"]anybody have any other suggestions? [/quote]</p><p> </p><p>It's still not clear at all what you have done.  To send mail via SMTP you must have configured either MercuryC (via a relay host) or MercuryE (direct) to process the mail.  Which have you setup?  The mail to be sent can be received by Mercury/32 either by MercuryS (SMTP or via the queue from Pegasus Mail.  </p><p> </p><p> </p>

Okay, I'll try to explain it as best as I can.

First off, in Mercury, I setup a new 'local user', with a name of 'kyle', which, apparently, creates 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com' (redstreakhosting.com is my website domain I bought from GoDaddy) 

Next, I setup the SMTP in MercuryC and I set the "smart host" to my ISP's SMTP server, with a port of 25 (which is open).

In Thunderbird e-mail client, I added the account 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com'.  The account name is 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com'.  Under 'Server Settings', the server type is 'pop3' ( i can have the choice of pop3 or imap).  The serer name is 'redstreakhosting.com' with port 110, and the username 'kyle'.  I set the SMTP to 'localhost' in thunderbird as well.

Now, when I send mail via Thunderbird, I can send it to any address and it works.  For example, I sent it to my hotmail e-mail, just to test it (which is trickmeister@hotmail.com)  I get the message in my inbox of hotmail - perfect.

Now, however, when I go into my hotmail account and try to send e-mail to my account I've set up on Mercury (kyle@redstreakhosting.com), I do not get any e-mails, and it ends up back into my hotmail inbox.  For example, I am logged in at hotmail, ready to make a new message, so in the "To" box, I put 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com' and I enter a subject and message.  When I click send, it does not arrive at 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com', but it arrives at the hotmail account again in the inbox as a new message.  Weird!  Whenever anybody tries to mail 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com', their message ends up in my hotmail account.

So my question is, how do I set it up so that when people e-mail me, it goes into my Thunderbird e-mail client and to the correct e-mail address of 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com' rather than my hotmail e-mail?

Hope I explained my situation well enough!

<p>Okay, I'll try to explain it as best as I can.</p><p>First off, in Mercury, I setup a new 'local user', with a name of 'kyle', which, apparently, creates 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com' (redstreakhosting.com is my website domain I bought from GoDaddy) </p><p>Next, I setup the SMTP in MercuryC and I set the "smart host" to my ISP's SMTP server, with a port of 25 (which is open).</p><p>In Thunderbird e-mail client, I added the account 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com'.  The account name is 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com'.  Under 'Server Settings', the server type is 'pop3' ( i can have the choice of pop3 or imap).  The serer name is 'redstreakhosting.com' with port 110, and the username 'kyle'.  I set the SMTP to 'localhost' in thunderbird as well. </p><p>Now, when I send mail via Thunderbird, I can send it to any address and it works.  For example, I sent it to my hotmail e-mail, just to test it (which is trickmeister@hotmail.com)  I get the message in my inbox of hotmail - perfect.</p><p>Now, however, when I go into my hotmail account and try to send e-mail to my account I've set up on Mercury (kyle@redstreakhosting.com), I do not get any e-mails, and it ends up back into my hotmail inbox.  For example, I am logged in at hotmail, ready to make a new message, so in the "To" box, I put 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com' and I enter a subject and message.  When I click send, it does not arrive at 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com', but it arrives at the hotmail account again in the inbox as a new message.  Weird!  Whenever anybody tries to mail 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com', their message ends up in my hotmail account. </p><p> So my question is, how do I set it up so that when people e-mail me, it goes into my Thunderbird e-mail client and to the correct e-mail address of 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com' rather than my hotmail e-mail?</p><p>Hope I explained my situation well enough!  </p>

On 8 Jul 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <> wrote:

> Okay, I'll try to explain it as best as I can.
>
> First off, I setup a new 'local user', with a name of 'kyle', which,
> apparently, creates 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com'
> (redstreakhosting.com is my website domain I bought from GoDaddy)

It creates a directory called KYLE under the directory where the pmail.usr file is located.  This user is part of any domain in the domains list.  This is what I get for redstreakhosting.com.  Is this the same IP Address and host name as you have for the Mercury/32 system?

Answer Section:
    redstreakhosting.com, MX, 0, mail6.zoneedit.com
    redstreakhosting.com, MX, 0, mail7.zoneedit.com
    redstreakhosting.com, A, 76.188.70.212
    redstreakhosting.com, NS, ns3.zoneedit.com
    redstreakhosting.com, NS, ns7.zoneedit.com

I would have expected that the MX zero would point at redstreakhosting.com if you were receiving mail via SMTP.  The other MX hosts would be higher.

Your [Domains] section in the Mercury.ini file should look like:

[Domains]

Server  :     Server
Server  :     redstreakhosting.com
Server  :     [76.188.70.212]

Where server is the name of the Mercury/32 server.  Can be most anything when not running Netware but I usually use the MS Windows name.

>
> Next, I setup the SMTP in MercuryC and I set the "smart host" to my
> ISP's SMTP server, with a port of 25 (which is open).

Ok.  

>
> In Thunderbird e-mail client, I added the account
> 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com'.  The account name is
> 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com'.  Under 'Server Settings', the server
> type is 'pop3' ( i can have the choice of pop3 or imap).  The serer
> name is 'redstreakhosting.com' with port 110, and the username
> 'kyle'.

Got it.

>
> Now, when I send mail via Thunderbird, I can send it to any address
> and it works.  For example, I sent it to my hotmail e-mail, just to
> test it (which is trickmeister@hotmail.com)  I get the message in my
> inbox of hotmail - perfect.

Can you send to kyle@redstreakhosting.com from Thunderbird  via Mercury/32?

>
> Now, however, when I go into my hotmail account and try to send
> e-mail to my account I've set up on Mercury
> (kyle@redstreakhosting.com), I do not get any e-mails, and it ends
> up back into my hotmail inbox.  For example, I am logged in at
> hotmail, ready to make a new message, so in the "To" box, I put
> 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com' and I enter a subject and message.  When
> I click send, it does not arrive at 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com', but
> it arrives at the hotmail account again in the inbox as a new
> message.  Weird!  Whenever anybody tries to mail
> 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com', their message ends up in my hotmail
> account.

That probably means that the MX host that are should above are not sending to your IP address.  For example, when I try to connect to port 25 of redstreakhosting.com I get nothing at all.  OOPs, something changed!  This looks like it might be a SMTP host running on your system but I'm not sure it's a Mercury/32 system but it's response sure looks like one..

220 redstreakhosting.com ESMTP server ready.
ehlo thomas
250-redstreakhosting.com Hello thomas; ESMTPs are:
250-TIME
250-SIZE 0
250 HELP

I'm going to send this to kyle@redstreakhosting.com as well as a test to see what happens.
>
>  So my question is, how do I set it up so that when people e-mail
> me, it goes into my Thunderbird e-mail client and to the correct
> e-mail address of 'kyle@redstreakhosting.com' rather than my hotmail
> e-mail?

Fix the DNS system to point at your system as primary MX host?
Checkout http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=redstreakhosting.com as well.

>
> Hope I explained my situation well enough!
>
>  

On 8 Jul 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; Okay, I&#039;ll try to explain it as best as I can. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; First off, I setup a new &#039;local user&#039;, with a name of &#039;kyle&#039;, which, &amp;gt; apparently, creates &#039;kyle@redstreakhosting.com&#039; &amp;gt; (redstreakhosting.com is my website domain I bought from GoDaddy) It creates a directory called KYLE under the directory where the pmail.usr file is located.&amp;nbsp; This user is part of any domain in the domains list.&amp;nbsp; This is what I get for redstreakhosting.com.&amp;nbsp; Is this the same IP Address and host name as you have for the Mercury/32 system? Answer Section: &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; redstreakhosting.com, MX, 0, mail6.zoneedit.com &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; redstreakhosting.com, MX, 0, mail7.zoneedit.com &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; redstreakhosting.com, A, 76.188.70.212 &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; redstreakhosting.com, NS, ns3.zoneedit.com &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; redstreakhosting.com, NS, ns7.zoneedit.com I would have expected that the MX zero would point at redstreakhosting.com if you were receiving mail via SMTP.&amp;nbsp; The other MX hosts would be higher. Your [Domains] section in the Mercury.ini file should look like: [Domains] Server&amp;nbsp; :&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Server Server&amp;nbsp; :&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; redstreakhosting.com Server&amp;nbsp; :&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; [76.188.70.212] Where server is the name of the Mercury/32 server.&amp;nbsp; Can be most anything when not running Netware but I usually use the MS Windows name. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Next, I setup the SMTP in MercuryC and I set the &quot;smart host&quot; to my &amp;gt; ISP&#039;s SMTP server, with a port of 25 (which is open). Ok. &amp;nbsp; &amp;gt; &amp;gt; In Thunderbird e-mail client, I added the account &amp;gt; &#039;kyle@redstreakhosting.com&#039;.&amp;nbsp; The account name is &amp;gt; &#039;kyle@redstreakhosting.com&#039;.&amp;nbsp; Under &#039;Server Settings&#039;, the server &amp;gt; type is &#039;pop3&#039; ( i can have the choice of pop3 or imap).&amp;nbsp; The serer &amp;gt; name is &#039;redstreakhosting.com&#039; with port 110, and the username &amp;gt; &#039;kyle&#039;. Got it. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Now, when I send mail via Thunderbird, I can send it to any address &amp;gt; and it works.&amp;nbsp; For example, I sent it to my hotmail e-mail, just to &amp;gt; test it (which is trickmeister@hotmail.com)&amp;nbsp; I get the message in my &amp;gt; inbox of hotmail - perfect. Can you send to kyle@redstreakhosting.com from Thunderbird&amp;nbsp; via Mercury/32? &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Now, however, when I go into my hotmail account and try to send &amp;gt; e-mail to my account I&#039;ve set up on Mercury &amp;gt; (kyle@redstreakhosting.com), I do not get any e-mails, and it ends &amp;gt; up back into my hotmail inbox.&amp;nbsp; For example, I am logged in at &amp;gt; hotmail, ready to make a new message, so in the &quot;To&quot; box, I put &amp;gt; &#039;kyle@redstreakhosting.com&#039; and I enter a subject and message.&amp;nbsp; When &amp;gt; I click send, it does not arrive at &#039;kyle@redstreakhosting.com&#039;, but &amp;gt; it arrives at the hotmail account again in the inbox as a new &amp;gt; message.&amp;nbsp; Weird!&amp;nbsp; Whenever anybody tries to mail &amp;gt; &#039;kyle@redstreakhosting.com&#039;, their message ends up in my hotmail &amp;gt; account. That probably means that the MX host that are should above are not sending to your IP address.&amp;nbsp; For example, when I try to connect to port 25 of redstreakhosting.com I get nothing at all.&amp;nbsp; OOPs, something changed!&amp;nbsp; This looks like it might be a SMTP host running on your system but I&#039;m not sure it&#039;s a Mercury/32 system but it&#039;s response sure looks like one.. 220 redstreakhosting.com ESMTP server ready. ehlo thomas 250-redstreakhosting.com Hello thomas; ESMTPs are: 250-TIME 250-SIZE 0 250 HELP I&#039;m going to send this to kyle@redstreakhosting.com as well as a test to see what happens. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; &amp;nbsp;So my question is, how do I set it up so that when people e-mail &amp;gt; me, it goes into my Thunderbird e-mail client and to the correct &amp;gt; e-mail address of &#039;kyle@redstreakhosting.com&#039; rather than my hotmail &amp;gt; e-mail? Fix the DNS system to point at your system as primary MX host? Checkout http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=redstreakhosting.com as well. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Hope I explained my situation well enough! &amp;gt; &amp;gt; &amp;nbsp;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft