Community Discussions and Support
Printing HTML mail

The easiest and simplest way is to right-click, "open message in web browser", then print from the browser.

<p>The easiest and simplest way is to right-click, "open message in web browser", then print from the browser.</p><p> </p>

Hello all.

Is there a way to make Pegasus Mail print HTML messages in plain text, just as you can make it display HTML messages in plain text?

I have tried to switch between view modes pressing "v", but either way the message prints fully formatted.

Thanks.

lazy

Hello all. Is there a way to make Pegasus Mail print HTML messages in plain text, just as you can make it display HTML messages in plain text? I have tried to switch between view modes pressing "v", but either way the message prints fully formatted. Thanks. lazy

The possibility of plain printing is dependent on the composer of the message. If he/she uses multipart/alternative type, there will likely be a plain text and a html version of the message. Then jumping between types using the "V" button will indeed show the two types, and it will be printed in the current style (plain/html).

If you want to print a copy of html message showing all the tags etc, you need to view the message in Raw Mode and copy it to the clipboard, and then use Notepad to paste it into a document then print it. Rarely is this useful except for diagnostics

HTH

Martin 

<p>The possibility of plain printing is dependent on the composer of the message. If he/she uses multipart/alternative type, there will likely be a plain text and a html version of the message. Then jumping between types using the "V" button will indeed show the two types, and it will be printed in the current style (plain/html).</p><p>If you want to print a copy of html message showing all the tags etc, you need to view the message in Raw Mode and copy it to the clipboard, and then use Notepad to paste it into a document then print it. Rarely is this useful except for diagnostics</p><p>HTH</p><p> </p><p>Martin </p><p> </p>

Martin, thanks for the reply.

[quote user="irelam"]

... Then jumping between types using the "V" button will indeed show the two types, and it will be printed in the current style (plain/html). ...

[/quote]

Not on my system. It prints the HTML variant, no matter what is displayed on screen. Strange.

But thanks anyway.

lazy
Martin, thanks for the reply. [quote user="irelam"]<P>... Then jumping between types using the "V" button will indeed show the two types, and it will be printed in the current style (plain/html). ...</P>[/quote] Not on my system. It prints the HTML variant, no matter what is displayed on screen. Strange. But thanks anyway. lazy

OK, a little experiment revealed the explanation:

PMail's printing behavior depends on the setting "If a choice of format exists, display the fancy version" in Tools|Options|Incoming Mail|Message Reader.

If this option is set, PMail will print the HTML version regardless of what version is currently displayed on screen.

If this option is not set, PMail will actually print the version that is displayed on screen.

As I receive many database e-mails where formatting does help reading a lot, I would prefer to have the option "If a choice of format exists, display the fancy version" always set.

However, when printing e-mails from my colleagues, I generally prefer to have plain text, as they usually send Outlook e-mails with fonts which are too big or too ugly or whatever.

Thus, it would be very, very nice to have an option in the message printing dialogue where the user can actually choose which version to print.

Or if Pegasus Mail would always print what is actually displayed, that would also help a lot.

Thanks,

lazy

OK, a little experiment revealed the explanation: PMail's printing behavior depends on the setting <STRONG>"If a choice of format exists, display the fancy version"</STRONG> in Tools|Options|Incoming Mail|Message Reader. <STRONG>If this option is set,</STRONG> PMail will print the HTML version regardless of what version is currently displayed on screen. If this option is <STRONG>not</STRONG> set, PMail will actually print the version that is displayed on screen. As I receive many database e-mails where formatting does help reading a lot, I would prefer to have the option "If a choice of format exists, display the fancy version" always set. However, when printing e-mails from my colleagues, I generally prefer to have plain text, as they usually send Outlook e-mails with fonts which are too big or too ugly or whatever. Thus, it would be very, very nice to have an option in the message printing dialogue where the user can actually choose which version to print. Or if Pegasus Mail would always print what is actually displayed, that would also help a lot. Thanks, lazy

I suggest you repost this last message in the "Wishes and Suggestions" forum, where your suggested change to Pegasus Mail behavior can be noted.

Martin 

<p>I suggest you repost this last message in the "Wishes and Suggestions" forum, where your suggested change to Pegasus Mail behavior can be noted.</p><p>Martin </p><p> </p>

[quote user="lazy_leukocyte"]OK, a little experiment revealed the explanation:

PMail's printing behavior depends on the setting "If a choice of format exists, display the fancy version" in Tools|Options|Incoming Mail|Message Reader.

If this option is set, PMail will print the HTML version regardless of what version is currently displayed on screen.

If this option is not set, PMail will actually print the version that is displayed on screen.

[/quote]

Actually I found that if the 'display fancy option' is set then the fancy version is always printed and if the 'display fancy option' is not set then the plain text version is always printed.  

However, a bigger problem for me is that often when I try to print the html version only half of the email is printed.   This happens for instance with receipts from ebay or from google checkout which is very irritating.  I need paper copies of these things and the plain text version is not really satisfactory - it's nice if all the numbers are displayed in neat columns instead of embedded in the text!

Does anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Susan
<p>[quote user="lazy_leukocyte"]OK, a little experiment revealed the explanation: PMail's printing behavior depends on the setting <b>"If a choice of format exists, display the fancy version"</b> in Tools|Options|Incoming Mail|Message Reader. <b>If this option is set,</b> PMail will print the HTML version regardless of what version is currently displayed on screen. If this option is <b>not</b> set, PMail will actually print the version that is displayed on screen. [/quote]</p><p>Actually I found that if the 'display fancy option'<b> </b>is set then the fancy version is always printed and if the 'display fancy option' is not set then the plain text version is always printed.  </p><p>However, a bigger problem for me is that often when I try to print the html version only half of the email is printed.   This happens for instance with receipts from ebay or from google checkout which is very irritating.  I need paper copies of these things and the plain text version is not really satisfactory - it's nice if all the numbers are displayed in neat columns instead of embedded in the text! </p><p>Does anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it?</p><p>Any suggestions would be gratefully received.</p>Susan
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft