Community Discussions and Support
Mails coming into wrong mailbox

This is what the help text says:

Local user  If you enter the name of a local user on your system (one to which Mercury can deliver directly) then all the mail downloaded from the remote account will be sent to that local user, irrespective of the address fields in the message. If you leave this field blank, MercuryD will examine the To, CC and BCC fields of each message looking for addresses it recognizes as local. When it finds a local address, it will send a copy of the message to that local user.

As far as I can tell no address headers in the message should be checked if a local user has been defined. 

/Rolf

<p>This is what the help text says:</p><blockquote><i>Local user  If you enter the name of a local user on your system (one to which Mercury can deliver directly) then all the mail downloaded from the remote account will be sent to that local user, irrespective of the address fields in the message. If you leave this field blank, MercuryD will examine the To, CC and BCC fields of each message looking for addresses it recognizes as local. When it finds a local address, it will send a copy of the message to that local user.</i></blockquote><p>As far as I can tell no address headers in the message should be checked if a local user has been defined. </p><p> /Rolf  </p>

Hi,

I have very strange problem -I use pop client to retrieve mail from other accounts and use "local user" rule to direct retrieved mail to proper local account (every external account is pulled to different local user mailbox). And the problem is that sometimes mail is pulled into wrong user mailbox, I even assume that some mail is not coming at all (it disappears from external account but i can't find anywhere on the local mercury server).
I use latest version of Mercury on Windows Server 2003

I am really counting on your help as I am really getting short on options:)

Best regards
Blazej
Hi,<DIV>I have very strange problem -I use pop client to retrieve mail from other accounts and use "local user" rule to direct retrieved mail to proper local account (every external account is pulled to different local user mailbox). And the problem is that sometimes mail is pulled into wrong user mailbox, I even assume that some mail is not coming at all (it disappears from external account but i can't find anywhere on the local mercury server).</DIV><DIV>I use latest version of Mercury on Windows Server 2003</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I am really counting on your help as I am really getting short on options:)</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Best regards</DIV><DIV>Blazej</DIV>

Assuming that "Local user" has been correctly filled in for all POP3 accounts messages should be delivered to that mailbox. Are there any policies or rules active that could cause messages to be redirected or removed?

/Rolf

<p>Assuming that "Local user" has been correctly filled in for all POP3 accounts messages should be delivered to that mailbox. Are there any policies or rules active that could cause messages to be redirected or removed?</p><p> /Rolf</p><p> </p>

[quote user="Blazej"]Hi,

I have very strange problem -I use pop client to retrieve mail from other accounts and use "local user" rule to direct retrieved mail to proper local account (every external account is pulled to different local user mailbox). And the problem is that sometimes mail is pulled into wrong user mailbox, I even assume that some mail is not coming at all (it disappears from external account but i can't find anywhere on the local mercury server).
I use latest version of Mercury on Windows Server 2003

I am really counting on your help as I am really getting short on options:)

Best regards
Blazej

[/quote]

There are always going to be some problems when using POP3 to deliver SMTP mail when the actual SMTP email address is not available for use. 

I assume that you have set MercuryD  for each account with a "Local" user  pointing to a local account and the "Default" user blank.  With this sort of setup mail is being delivered to the local user only if the local user address is found in the message address fields.  Mail where there is no match is quietly deleted.  Check out the MercuryD help for details.

Personally I would recommend that you leave the local user field blank and the default user set to  the local user.  You would then alias the email address for this account to a local user using the full SMTP email address.  I would also really look at the mail being received for a header being added by the ISP that contains the original SMTP address and used that in MercuryD for the delivery.

[quote user="Blazej"]Hi,<div>I have very strange problem -I use pop client to retrieve mail from other accounts and use "local user" rule to direct retrieved mail to proper local account (every external account is pulled to different local user mailbox). And the problem is that sometimes mail is pulled into wrong user mailbox, I even assume that some mail is not coming at all (it disappears from external account but i can't find anywhere on the local mercury server).</div><div>I use latest version of Mercury on Windows Server 2003</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>I am really counting on your help as I am really getting short on options:)</div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>Best regards</div><div>Blazej</div><p>[/quote]</p><p>There are always going to be some problems when using POP3 to deliver SMTP mail when the actual SMTP email address is not available for use. </p><p>I assume that you have set MercuryD  for each account with a "Local" user  pointing to a local account and the "Default" user blank.  With this sort of setup mail is being delivered to the local user only if the local user address is found in the message address fields.  Mail where there is no match is quietly deleted.  Check out the MercuryD help for details. </p><p>Personally I would recommend that you leave the local user field blank and the default user set to  the local user.  You would then alias the email address for this account to a local user using the full SMTP email address.  I would also really look at the mail being received for a header being added by the ISP that contains the original SMTP address and used that in MercuryD for the delivery.</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft