Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Inserting Links

No nitpicking. I Think it is usefull. Everytime I need it and I forgot, I am looking for the correct way to put in a link. So thanks. [:D]

<p>No nitpicking. I Think it is usefull. Everytime I need it and I forgot, I am looking for the correct way to put in a link. So thanks. [:D] </p><p> </p>

This is nitpicking indeed! And I apologise if this idea has been posted a hundred times already.

Adding a link to a message has come to take, almost universally, the format

(i. Find URL & copy to clipboard)

1. Type nickname for link

2. Select it

3. Click on "add link" button

4. Paste URL into mini-form that appears (many loci add HTTP//: etc., but have it pre-selected so paste or typing automatically overwrites; I like that, too)

5. Hit return

Now that I've gotten used to this system (as a sysop on Compuserve's Garden Forum I seem to need about 5 links per message) I've gotten to like it and often absentmindedly type the brilliantly comic name I've thought up  into my Pegasus email message before I remember that isn't the way to do it here.

Then I have to erase the nickname and type it into the Pegasus "add link" form. Can't copy because that will overwrite the link I just hunted up and copied into the clipboard.

So I began to wonder if that would be a possible thing that could be in Pegasus (not calling it an improvement because I'm not sure what ratio of praise to gripes would be if such a change were made). 

The bulletin board (etc.) way of type/select/click/paste doesn't break up the flow of writing so much, I think.

m

<p>This is nitpicking indeed! And I apologise if this idea has been posted a hundred times already. </p><p> Adding a link to a message has come to take, almost universally, the format</p><p> </p><p> (i. Find URL & copy to clipboard) </p><p> 1. Type nickname for link</p><p>2. Select it</p><p>3. Click on "add link" button</p><p> 4. Paste URL into mini-form that appears (many loci add HTTP//: etc., but have it pre-selected so paste or typing automatically overwrites; I like that, too) </p><p>5. Hit return </p><p> </p><p>Now that I've gotten used to this system (as a sysop on Compuserve's Garden Forum I seem to need about 5 links per message) I've gotten to like it and often absentmindedly type the brilliantly comic name I've thought up  into my Pegasus email message before I remember that isn't the way to do it here. </p><p> Then I have to erase the nickname and type it into the Pegasus "add link" form. Can't copy because that will overwrite the link I just hunted up and copied into the clipboard. </p><p> So I began to wonder if that would be a possible thing that could be in Pegasus (not calling it an improvement because I'm not sure what ratio of praise to gripes would be if such a change were made). </p><p>The bulletin board (etc.) way of type/select/click/paste doesn't break up the flow of writing so much, I think. </p><p> </p><p>m </p><p> </p>

[quote user="mollym"]

The bulletin board (etc.) way of type/select/click/paste doesn't break up the flow of writing so much, I think[/quote]

And strangely, if you 'type/select/click/paste' in Pegasus, the selected text then is underlined and coloured as if it was a link.

[quote user="mollym"] <P>The bulletin board (etc.) way of type/select/click/paste doesn't break up the flow of writing so much, I think[/quote]</P> <P>And strangely, if you 'type/select/click/paste' in Pegasus, the selected text then is underlined and coloured as if it was a link.</P>

Click the Insert Hyperlink icon in the formatting toolbar, make sure Text is selected, enter the text you want to appear as the link, now type (or paste) the URL under URL to invoke when the link is clicked and click OK.

Click the Insert Hyperlink icon in the formatting toolbar, make sure Text is selected, enter the text you want to appear as the link, now type (or paste) the URL under URL to invoke when the link is clicked and click OK.

[quote user="sunshine1708"]Click the Insert Hyperlink icon in the formatting toolbar, make sure Text is selected, enter the text you want to appear as the link, now type (or paste) the URL under URL to invoke when the link is clicked and click OK.[/quote]

That's how it works now, but the original post is a suggestion to change the behaviour.

<P>[quote user="sunshine1708"]Click the Insert Hyperlink icon in the formatting toolbar, make sure Text is selected, enter the text you want to appear as the link, now type (or paste) the URL under URL to invoke when the link is clicked and click OK.[/quote]</P> <P>That's how it works now, but the original post is a suggestion to change the behaviour.</P>

This has been brought up before.

People expect to select text/object, then apply an action to it. As misstr87 says, it would be so much more user-friendly if Pegasus Mail worked the same way. And, as PaulW says, you can potentially end up with two classes of hyperlink. One that works from a single click (using the inert hyperlink tool button), and one that is underlined but which needs to be double-clicked (created by pasting the URL directly into the message), or selected, right-clicked, then choose open selection as hyperlink...

<P>This has been brought up before.</P> <P>People expect to select text/object, then apply an action to it. As misstr87 says, it would be so much more user-friendly if Pegasus Mail worked the same way. And, as PaulW says, you can potentially end up with two classes of hyperlink. One that works from a single click (using the inert hyperlink tool button), and one that is underlined but which needs to be double-clicked (created by pasting the URL directly into the message), or selected, right-clicked, then choose open selection as hyperlink...</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft