Community Discussions and Support
Error message regarding "either SMTP or MHS address"

I've been having this error for a while on only one of my addresses & have been unable to find any differences in the configurations.  I tried both (b) and (c).   It was (b)  that worked for me.  I did have  "Load Windows Internet Services (WSOCK32.DLL) set to "Never" on 4 or 5 identities.    I don't have a clue as to why I only got the error on the one identity.    This may be irrelevant, but I don't remember this error using XP.

Pegasus 4.41, Vista.  

Thank you for this forum and to the Pegasus team.   I started using Pegasus many years ago when I needed a "multi-POP capable program. 

g

<p>I've been having this error for a while on only one of my addresses & have been unable to find any differences in the configurations.  I tried both (b) and (c).   It was (b)  that worked for me.  I did have  "Load Windows Internet Services (WSOCK32.DLL) set to "Never" on 4 or 5 identities.    I don't have a clue as to why I only got the error on the one identity.    This may be irrelevant, but I don't remember this error using XP. </p><p>Pegasus 4.41, Vista.   </p><p>Thank you for this forum and to the Pegasus team.   I started using Pegasus many years ago when I needed a "multi-POP capable program.  </p><p>  g </p>

Every so often I get the following message when I send a message: 

"The address '*@*.*' could be either and SMTP or an MHS address. Please use an IN: or MHS: override on the address so WinPMail knows where to send it."  I have found out that I can get around it by saving the message as a draft, closing PMail and then opening the draft.  When I send it I don't get the error message again.  As I said, this is sporadic, not every message nor even every day.

Coincidentally (?) today in the process of dealing with an error of this type when I opened PMail again my New Mail folder had sent all my read messages to the Main Fold in spite of the box being checked to leave read messages in the New Mail folder.

Lee Miles

Cartagena

<p>Every so often I get the following message when I send a message: </p><p> "The address '*@*.*' could be either and SMTP or an MHS address. Please use an IN: or MHS: override on the address so WinPMail knows where to send it."  I have found out that I can get around it by saving the message as a draft, closing PMail and then opening the draft.  When I send it I don't get the error message again.  As I said, this is sporadic, not every message nor even every day. </p><p>Coincidentally (?) today in the process of dealing with an error of this type when I opened PMail again my New Mail folder had sent all my read messages to the Main Fold in spite of the box being checked to leave read messages in the New Mail folder.</p><p>Lee Miles</p><p>Cartagena  </p>

Hello!

As far as your second problem is concerned, I think it has something to do with the New Mail filtering rules you have probably set up.

Provided that there are some New Mail filtering rules, you should know that there are two sorts of New Mail filtering rules: the on-open New Mail filtering rules and the on-close New Mail filtering rules. The difference is in when to apply them to the messages in your New Mail folder.
The on-open New Mail filtering rules start: (a) when you open the New Mail folder in a windows of its own, or (b) when you go to the New Mail folder in preview mode (given that the option "Apply filtering rules when previewing folders" is checked). The on-close New Mail filtering rules start when you close the New Mail folder after you opened it in a window of its own; note that they will not start if you simply switch from the New Mail folder to any other folder when in preview mode.
(If you want to find out more about how to filter incoming messages, read http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/1532.aspx).

So, there may be some reasons why incoming messages were surprisingly moved to your Main folder:

(a) You opened the New Mail folder in a window of its own and closed that window - if there are any of them, your New Mail filtering rules may have made the message be moved to your Main folder. So one thing to check is whether there are any on-close New Mail filtering rules and what actions they have.
(b) You may have some on-open New Mail filtering rules that can move a message to your Main folder. They can be applied even in preview mode, given that you have checked the option mentioned above.
(c) The option to leave read messages in the New Mail folder is one the identity-related settings. That means if you have several identites, you may have used an identity in which the option has not been checked - which would mean that read messages would not be left in the New Mail folder. Check that setting for the identities you have (provided that you really have several identities).

-----

As far as your first problem is concerned, I am not at all sure what the culprit may be. However, I can tell you what others told me about similar problems. They suggested the following ideas:
(a) The addresses of those messages for which the problem arises may have been taken from an address book. Perhaps, the address book entry for that address has not correctly been set up.
An example of what might be worng is that the actual address was placed in the Name field, whereas the Address field was left blank. This may happen when adding a new entry to an address book and leaving the address fiedl blank.
Is there any addressbook entry for any 'problem-address'? If so, check whether the addressbook entry is correct and whether it contains the correct address in the correct address field.
(b) Check the Winsock-options. You can find them at "Tools" | "Options" | "General settings" | "Advanced settings", there is an option called "Load Windows Internet Services (WSOCK32.DLL)". You may want to set that option to "On demand only".
I was told that the problem you reported might occur if the option was set to "Never".
(c) Another idea of how to solve that problem is the following:
This problem happens when you have not told Pegasus Mail that you want to use its built-in SMTP client services for outgoing mail.
To fix, go to "File" | "Network Configuration" and click on the "Sending (SMTP)"-tab in the dialog that appears. Enable the option to "Use in preference of LAN mailer for Internet mail" and click OK to close each of the dialogs. Pegasus Mail is now configured to use its built-in SMTP client for outgoing mail.
Note that you would have to do so for all identities you have.

As mentioned, the solutions (a), (b) and (c) are not my ideas; I have simply taken them from the information I have collected over the years. Since I have never seen a similar problem myself, I cannot tell you which of these suggestions will help you - but I hope you now have a point to start from.

Hello! As far as your second problem is concerned, I think it has something to do with the New Mail filtering rules you have probably set up. Provided that there are some New Mail filtering rules, you should know that there are two sorts of New Mail filtering rules: the <I>on-open New Mail filtering rules</I> and the <I>on-close New Mail filtering rules</I>. The difference is in when to apply them to the messages in your New Mail folder. The on-open New Mail filtering rules start: (a) when you open the New Mail folder in a windows of its own, or (b) when you go to the New Mail folder in preview mode (given that the option "Apply filtering rules when previewing folders" is checked). The on-close New Mail filtering rules start when you close the New Mail folder after you opened it in a window of its own; note that they will not start if you simply switch from the New Mail folder to any other folder when in preview mode. (If you want to find out more about how to filter incoming messages, read <A href="/forums/thread/1532.aspx" mce_href="/forums/thread/1532.aspx" target="_blank">http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/1532.aspx</A>). So, there may be some reasons why incoming messages were surprisingly moved to your Main folder: (a) You opened the New Mail folder in a window of its own and closed that window - if there are any of them, your New Mail filtering rules may have made the message be moved to your Main folder. So one thing to check is whether there are any on-close New Mail filtering rules and what actions they have. (b) You may have some on-open New Mail filtering rules that can move a message to your Main folder. They can be applied even in preview mode, given that you have checked the option mentioned above. (c) The option to leave read messages in the New Mail folder is one the identity-related settings. That means if you have several identites, you may have used an identity in which the option has not been checked - which would mean that read messages would not be left in the New Mail folder. Check that setting for the identities you have (provided that you really have several identities). ----- As far as your first problem is concerned, I am not at all sure what the culprit may be. However, I can tell you what others told me about similar problems. They suggested the following ideas: (a) The addresses of those messages for which the problem arises may have been taken from an address book. Perhaps, the address book entry for that address has not correctly been set up. An example of what might be worng is that the actual address was placed in the Name field, whereas the Address field was left blank. This may happen when adding a new entry to an address book and leaving the address fiedl blank. Is there any addressbook entry for any 'problem-address'? If so, check whether the addressbook entry is correct and whether it contains the correct address in the correct address field. (b) Check the Winsock-options. You can find them at "Tools" | "Options" | "General settings" | "Advanced settings", there is an option called "Load Windows Internet Services (WSOCK32.DLL)". You may want to set that option to "On demand only". I was told that the problem you reported might occur if the option was set to "Never". (c) Another idea of how to solve that problem is the following: This problem happens when you have not told Pegasus Mail that you want to use its built-in SMTP client services for outgoing mail. To fix, go to "File" | "Network Configuration" and click on the "Sending (SMTP)"-tab in the dialog that appears. Enable the option to "Use in preference of LAN mailer for Internet mail" and click OK to close each of the dialogs. Pegasus Mail is now configured to use its built-in SMTP client for outgoing mail. Note that you would have to do so for all identities you have. As mentioned, the solutions (a), (b) and (c) are not my ideas; I have simply taken them from the information I have collected over the years. Since I have never seen a similar problem myself, I cannot tell you which of these suggestions will help you - but I hope you now have a point to start from.  

Thanks very much for taking such time and trouble to give me pointers on this problem.  I will tinker around in the mail filtering areas and take a look at the address book origins, if any, of the addresses that are giving me the strange rejections.

As always seems to be the case for me, as under your tutelage I look at the options offered by PMail, I discover that I am a bit like the "mechanically-challenged" driving a Ferrari.  I just put in gas, use the starter and gently push the gas pedal. I have no idea how to put PMail into a controlled 4-wheel drift through the curves.  [:)]

Truly, thanks.

<p>Thanks very much for taking such time and trouble to give me pointers on this problem.  I will tinker around in the mail filtering areas and take a look at the address book origins, if any, of the addresses that are giving me the strange rejections.</p><p>As always seems to be the case for me, as under your tutelage I look at the options offered by PMail, I discover that I am a bit like the "mechanically-challenged" driving a Ferrari.  I just put in gas, use the starter and gently push the gas pedal. I have no idea how to put PMail into a controlled 4-wheel drift through the curves.  [:)]</p><p> Truly, thanks.  </p>

[quote user="leemiles"]

Every so often I get the following message when I send a message: 

"The address '*@*.*' could be either and SMTP or an MHS address.

[/quote]

This error occurs when you have no identifiable Internet transport available. Do you perhaps have an identity where you have not set up Internet options? Or an identity where the "Load Windows Internet Services" entry in Tools|Options|Advanced is set to "Never"?

The error is quite accurate, but since nobody uses MHS any more, it's really pretty redundant. I'll consider rewording it in the next revision.

Cheers!

-- David --

[quote user="leemiles"]<p>Every so often I get the following message when I send a message: </p><p> "The address '*@*.*' could be either and SMTP or an MHS address.</p><p>[/quote] This error occurs when you have no identifiable Internet transport available. Do you perhaps have an identity where you have not set up Internet options? Or an identity where the "Load Windows Internet Services" entry in Tools|Options|Advanced is set to "Never"? The error is quite accurate, but since nobody uses MHS any more, it's really pretty redundant. I'll consider rewording it in the next revision. Cheers! -- David -- </p>

I found one of my configurations in which "Use in preference to LAN mailer for Internet mail" was not checked.  We shall see if I get this message again.

Thanks for giving me a Ferrari to drive [:)] (see my earlier post.)  I hope that people are responding with support for PMail.

Lee Miles

Cartagena

<p>I found one of my configurations in which "Use in preference to LAN mailer for Internet mail" was not checked.  We shall see if I get this message again.</p><p>Thanks for giving me a Ferrari to drive [:)] (see my earlier post.)  I hope that people are responding with support for PMail.</p><p>Lee Miles</p><p>Cartagena  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft