Community Discussions and Support
SpamHalter & Content Control

Hello!

Concerning your question about which tool is applied first, you may want to read the article at http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/1532.aspx. It describes the order in which Pegasus Mail's sorting and filtering tools for incoming messages are handled.

You will notice that Spamhalter comes before content control. That means: if you have set up content control to delete the "Russian spam"-messages, Spamhalter will probably take care of them before content control can handle them - and if that happens, Spamhalter will move those messages to its Spam folder, leaving content control no chance to delete them (because content control will not see the messages).

If you want an incoming message not to be handled by Spamhalter or content control, you have to add the respective senders to the Global Whitelist. Any message sent by a sender listed in the Global Whitelist will be checked neither by Spamhalter nor by content control.
However, even if a sender's address is listed in the Global Whitelist, the New Mail filtering rules can still be applied to such a message. A New Mail filtering rule could look for the charset declaration of a Russian character set and delete any message that is said to be written in Russian.

Note that this is a somewhat theoretical approach.
You would have to add each address sending you Russian spam to the Global Whitelist and have their messages deleted by your New Mail filtering rules. As the sender's adresses are often forged or randomly created, there is probably not much use in adding those addresses to the Global Whitelist - the sender's addresses will probably not occur more than once or twice in further spam messages.

So, what can you do? I do think it is a good idea not to delete any unread messages - having the chance to check them before deleting them for good is a Good Thing [tm]. (Note that this is just my personal opinion, yours may differ.) Having Spamhalter move the Russian spam to its spam folder and check them before deleting them may be the right approach, I think.

Hello! Concerning your question about which tool is applied first, you may want to read the article at <A href="/forums/thread/1532.aspx" mce_href="/forums/thread/1532.aspx" target="_blank">http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/1532.aspx</A>. It describes the order in which Pegasus Mail's sorting and filtering tools for incoming messages are handled. You will notice that Spamhalter comes before content control. That means: if you have set up content control to delete the "Russian spam"-messages, Spamhalter will probably take care of them <I>before</I> content control can handle them - and if that happens, Spamhalter will move those messages to its Spam folder, leaving content control no chance to delete them (because content control will not see the messages). If you want an incoming message not to be handled by Spamhalter or content control, you have to add the respective senders to the Global Whitelist. Any message sent by a sender listed in the Global Whitelist will be checked neither by Spamhalter nor by content control. However, even if a sender's address is listed in the Global Whitelist, the New Mail filtering rules can still be applied to such a message. A New Mail filtering rule could look for the charset declaration of a Russian character set and delete any message that is said to be written in Russian. Note that this is a somewhat theoretical approach. You would have to add each address sending you Russian spam to the Global Whitelist and have their messages deleted by your New Mail filtering rules. As the sender's adresses are often forged or randomly created, there is probably not much use in adding those addresses to the Global Whitelist - the sender's addresses will probably not occur more than once or twice in further spam messages. So, what can you do? I do think it is a good idea not to delete any unread messages - having the chance to check them before deleting them for good is a Good Thing [tm]. (Note that this is just my personal opinion, yours may differ.) Having Spamhalter move the Russian spam to its spam folder and check them before deleting them may be the right approach, I think.

I am using SpamHalter and trying to also use content control. I have SpamHalter set to send all spam to a folder named "Spam."  I quickly review that folder to make sure that there are not any real messages in it then I delete the contents to the "Deleted Messages" folder.

Lately I have been getting a lot of Russian spam.  None of that is "real" email so I'd like to delete it directly, not have it get put into the "Spam" folder.

I haven't been able to find anywhere which is applied to each message first... SpahHalter or Content Control.  All attempts so far to directly and immediately delete foreign language emails have failed.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Usagi 

<p>I am using SpamHalter and trying to also use content control. I have SpamHalter set to send all spam to a folder named "Spam."  I quickly review that folder to make sure that there are not any real messages in it then I delete the contents to the "Deleted Messages" folder. </p><p>Lately I have been getting a lot of Russian spam.  None of that is "real" email so I'd like to delete it directly, not have it get put into the "Spam" folder.</p><p>I haven't been able to find anywhere which is applied to each message first... SpahHalter or Content Control.  All attempts so far to directly and immediately delete foreign language emails have failed. </p><p>Any ideas on how to do this?</p><p> </p><p>Usagi </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft