Community Discussions and Support
Ugrade v 3.12c to 4.41

Hello Thomas. Thanks for the quick reply. I, too, was surprised at the "missing mail" behaviour. I thought I knew Pmail well having used it since the good old DOS days.

I went back to my colleagues pc to try the update from 3.12c to 4.41 again, but keeping a log of all operations. Once again, 4.41 installed smoothly over 3.12c and again, opening Pmail, two folders were missing mail as shown in the folder tree panel.  Going to the list view to investigate  gave the surprise that the expected number of  messages in the two problem folders were there. In both cases the number of mails in the folders was greater than 1000. The clue to the "problem" arrived when I noticed that one folder containing 1259 messages  showed only 259 in the preview tree panel.

Back to the preview mode, resize the tree panel to make it wider and the folder shows 1259 messages. "Missing mail problem" solved!

A suggestion for David Harris: could a value that is too large to fit the space available be shown as asterisks or hash marks (*, #) à la Excel? Perhaps the programming effort is too great to solve a trivial but initially perplexing problem.

Regards.

<p> Hello Thomas. Thanks for the quick reply. I, too, was surprised at the "missing mail" behaviour. I thought I knew Pmail well having used it since the good old DOS days.</p><p> I went back to my colleagues pc to try the update from 3.12c to 4.41 again, but keeping a log of all operations. Once again, 4.41 installed smoothly over 3.12c and again, opening Pmail, two folders were missing mail as shown in the folder tree panel.  Going to the list view to investigate  gave the surprise that the expected number of  messages in the two problem folders were there. In both cases the number of mails in the folders was greater than 1000. The clue to the "problem" arrived when I noticed that one folder containing 1259 messages  showed only 259 in the preview tree panel.</p><p> Back to the preview mode, resize the tree panel to make it wider and the folder shows 1259 messages. "Missing mail problem" solved!</p><p> A suggestion for David Harris: could a value that is too large to fit the space available be shown as asterisks or hash marks (*, #) à la Excel? Perhaps the programming effort is too great to solve a trivial but initially perplexing problem.</p><p> Regards.  </p>

Hello, I have been trying to update a colleague's version of Pmail from 3.12c to 4.41. As recommended, I simply installed 4.41 over 3.12c (after backing up the current files). This goes smoothly and well but for one exception. The filter rules thoughtfully provided by David Harris play havoc with the current mail saved in various folders. In one folder some 300 out of 900 saved messages simply disappeared after the update.

This leads to two questions. 1. Is it possible to delete/disable (or ta least edit) David's filters before installation? This would be the best solution. Or, 2. Is it possible to recover the "filtered" mail? It appears that the messages are simply deleted - I have not been able to find them in the upgraded v. 4.41. This is by far the less desirable solution since we (I and my colleague) estimate that it will mean manually restoring about 600-700 messages.

The incentive for the update is Spamhalter in v. 4.41. Currently spam is handled by filter rules in 3.12c which number about 90 and require constant maintenance.

Any help or other solutions will be appreciated. Thanks.

<p>Hello, I have been trying to update a colleague's version of Pmail from 3.12c to 4.41. As recommended, I simply installed 4.41 over 3.12c (after backing up the current files). This goes smoothly and well but for one exception. The filter rules thoughtfully provided by David Harris play havoc with the current mail saved in various folders. In one folder some 300 out of 900 saved messages simply disappeared after the update.</p><p>  This leads to two questions. 1. Is it possible to delete/disable (or ta least edit) David's filters before installation? This would be the best solution. Or, 2. Is it possible to recover the "filtered" mail? It appears that the messages are simply deleted - I have not been able to find them in the upgraded v. 4.41. This is by far the less desirable solution since we (I and my colleague) estimate that it will mean manually restoring about 600-700 messages.</p><p> The incentive for the update is Spamhalter in v. 4.41. Currently spam is handled by filter rules in 3.12c which number about 90 and require constant maintenance. </p><p> Any help or other solutions will be appreciated. Thanks.  </p>

Hello!

I am somewhat surprised to see such a problem. However, if you think the filtering rules or other sorting tools are the culprit, you may consider disabling them:
(a) Spamhalter can easily disabled. Go to "Tools" | "Spam and content controls" and open Spamhalter. You simply have to uncheck the "Enable Spamhalter"-box.
(b) To disable content control, go to "Tools" | "Spam and content controls" and open "Content control". If there is more than one content control definition, you have to disable each of them one after the after. However, this is not too complicated: Mark a content control definition (in the "Content control definitions"-window) and click on the "Disable"-button (provided the respective content control definition has not already been disabled before).
(c) If you want to disable a filtering rule set (for example, the New Mail filtering rule set), open the respective rule set and add a new rule to the beginning of the rule set. In other words: the new rule to be added will be the first one. The rule to be added is an "Always triggers"-rule, its action is "Exit this rule set". Do not forget to save the rule set after editing it. Since the first filtering rule of the rule set now says to stop the filtering, the other filtering rules (that may delete any messages) will not be applied anymore.

----

What folders are the messages in when the messages get deleted? Is there any pattern to those fodlers? An idea is to check whether there is any General rule set attached to those folders.

Hello! I am somewhat surprised to see such a problem. However, if you think the filtering rules or other sorting tools are the culprit, you may consider disabling them: (a) Spamhalter can easily disabled. Go to "Tools" | "Spam and content controls" and open Spamhalter. You simply have to uncheck the "Enable Spamhalter"-box. (b) To disable content control, go to "Tools" | "Spam and content controls" and open "Content control". If there is more than one content control definition, you have to disable each of them one after the after. However, this is not too complicated: Mark a content control definition (in the "Content control definitions"-window) and click on the "Disable"-button (provided the respective content control definition has not already been disabled before). (c) If you want to disable a filtering rule set (for example, the New Mail filtering rule set), open the respective rule set and add a new rule to the beginning of the rule set. In other words: the new rule to be added will be the first one. The rule to be added is an "Always triggers"-rule, its action is "Exit this rule set". Do not forget to save the rule set after editing it. Since the first filtering rule of the rule set now says to stop the filtering, the other filtering rules (that may delete any messages) will not be applied anymore. ---- What folders are the messages in when the messages get deleted? Is there any pattern to those fodlers? An idea is to check whether there is any General rule set attached to those folders.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft