Community Discussions and Support
Public Addressbook

Do you mean that installing Pegasus Mail on the server and using

that application from all clients PC. Is that Possible ?? it would be

wonderful if that's possible.

That's the primary way I ran this on my Netware systems with 150 very busy concurrent users.  The program and data were both on the SYS: volume and the users only had a short cut to the program on the workstations.  The Macs, Windows and DOS machines all looked at the same program directory.  Did the same thing with the Windows servers as well.  That's why so many network admins loved this program, it's a cinch to maintain.  I do maintain the TEMP directory (C:\TEMP) on the local workstation so that the writing files to this directory does not go over the LAN,

I guess the loading will be slow

if all the client PC connects to Pegasus Mail on a single server.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

It's not at all slow, the program is really running on the client system, it only loads the program files from the host server.   The only time it can be slow is if everyone is logging in and downloading the program files at exactly the same time and that's never going to happen.  ;-)

<blockquote><p>Do you mean that installing Pegasus Mail on the server and using that application from all clients PC. Is that Possible ?? it would be wonderful if that's possible.</p></blockquote><p>That's the primary way I ran this on my Netware systems with 150 very busy concurrent users.  The program and data were both on the SYS: volume and the users only had a short cut to the program on the workstations.  The Macs, Windows and DOS machines all looked at the same program directory.  Did the same thing with the Windows servers as well.  That's why so many network admins loved this program, it's a cinch to maintain.  I do maintain the TEMP directory (C:\TEMP) on the local workstation so that the writing files to this directory does not go over the LAN, </p><blockquote><p>I guess the loading will be slow if all the client PC connects to Pegasus Mail on a single server. Please correct me if i am wrong.</p></blockquote><p>It's not at all slow, the program is really running on the client system, it only loads the program files from the host server.   The only time it can be slow is if everyone is logging in and downloading the program files at exactly the same time and that's never going to happen.  ;-) </p><blockquote><p> </p></blockquote>

Hello All,

could anyone please let me know how to create a public addressbook in pegasus which everyuser can share and update ? please guid me as i am having problems with that at the moment.

Many thanks

Dodi

<P>Hello All, </P> <P>could anyone please let me know how to create a public addressbook in pegasus which everyuser can share and update ? please guid me as i am having problems with that at the moment.</P> <P> Many thanks</P> <P>Dodi</P>

Creating system-wide address books

Address books consist of two files - name.PMR and name.PM!, where name is any filename. To create a system-wide address book, copy both files for the book into the same directory on the server as WinPMail program. Alternatively, copy the files into a public directory then set a DOS environment variable called PMR which points to that directory. If the address book is large and changes little, consider creating a secondary index for it using PMSORT.EXE - this will markedly speed up the process of opening the book.

<p>Creating system-wide address books </p><p>Address books consist of two files - name.PMR and name.PM!, where name is any filename. To create a system-wide address book, copy both files for the book into the same directory on the server as WinPMail program. Alternatively, copy the files into a public directory then set a DOS environment variable called PMR which points to that directory. If the address book is large and changes little, consider creating a secondary index for it using PMSORT.EXE - this will markedly speed up the process of opening the book. </p>

Hello Thomas,

I am also wondering how to create a public address book.  I see that you've explained what to do with the files to create the address book, but how do we create a .PMR and .PM!  file? 

<p>Hello Thomas,</p><p> </p><p>    I am also wondering how to create a public address book.  I see that you've explained what to do with the files to create the address book, but how do we create a .PMR and .PM!  file? </p>

[quote user="enforcer_upu"]

Hello Thomas,

I am also wondering how to create a public address book.  I see that you've explained what to do with the files to create the address book, but how do we create a .PMR and .PM!  file? 

[/quote]

Create an addressbook in any account and then move the resulting files to the common program directory or the directory you have selected for the system books using the PMR environment variable.

[quote user="enforcer_upu"]<p>Hello Thomas,</p><p>    I am also wondering how to create a public address book.  I see that you've explained what to do with the files to create the address book, but how do we create a .PMR and .PM!  file? </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Create an addressbook in any account and then move the resulting files to the common program directory or the directory you have selected for the system books using the PMR environment variable.</p><p> </p>

If all the addresses are local address (not smtp and between PMail clients) should I leave out the @domain.org in the address and then PMail will create a .CNM file rather than a .101 file to route mail?

If all the addresses are local address (not smtp and between PMail clients) should I leave out the @domain.org in the address and then PMail will create a .CNM file rather than a .101 file to route mail?

[quote user="cynist"]If all the addresses are local address (not smtp and between PMail clients) should I leave out the @domain.org in the address and then PMail will create a .CNM file rather than a .101 file to route mail?
No.  When you integrate Mercury/32 and PMail the addresses MUST be SMTP addresses since SpamWall is going to send them via the SMTP server.
[/quote]
<blockquote>[quote user="cynist"]If all the addresses are local address (not smtp and between PMail clients) should I leave out the @domain.org in the address and then PMail will create a .CNM file rather than a .101 file to route mail?</blockquote>No.  When you integrate Mercury/32 and PMail the addresses MUST be SMTP addresses since SpamWall is going to send them via the SMTP server. <blockquote>[/quote]</blockquote>

Is there any way to create a shared local address book (with only PMail) rather than a SMTP one?

Is there any way to create a shared local address book (with only PMail) rather than a SMTP one?

Not sure what you are asking.  The local email addresses can be accessed with F2 and it provides a listing of all local users and the personal name.  An addressbook in the same directory as the PMail program though is always a system addressbook available to all users.  I am assuming you are running PMail in the network mode where all users are using the same copy of the program.
<blockquote>Is there any way to create a shared local address book (with only PMail) rather than a SMTP one?</blockquote>Not sure what you are asking.  The local email addresses can be accessed with F2 and it provides a listing of all local users and the personal name.  An addressbook in the same directory as the PMail program though is always a system addressbook available to all users.  I am assuming you are running PMail in the network mode where all users are using the same copy of the program.

I want to create an address book that I administer but when people open PMail it is listed in the same place that the personal address book is listed. 

An addressbook in the same directory as the PMail program though is always a system addressbook available to all users.

I tried placing the personal.PM! in the: /PMail directory, the \\PMail\Programs directory, and the \\PMail\Programs\Defaults directory but have had no luck.

What am I doing wrong?  How do I access it once it's in the correct directory?

<p>I want to create an address book that I administer but when people open PMail it is listed in the same place that the personal address book is listed.  </p><b>An addressbook in the same directory as the PMail program though is always a system addressbook available to all users.</b><p>I tried placing the personal.PM! in the: /PMail directory, the \\PMail\Programs directory, and the \\PMail\Programs\Defaults directory but have had no luck.</p><p>What am I doing wrong?  How do I access it once it's in the correct directory? </p>

[quote user="cynist"]I want to create an address book that I administer but when people open PMail it is listed in the same place that the personal address book is listed. 
An addressbook in the same directory as the PMail program though is always a system addressbook available to all users.

I tried placing the personal.PM! in the: /PMail directory, the \\PMail\Programs directory, and the \\PMail\Programs\Defaults directory but have had no luck.

An addressbook consists of two files, the PMR data file and PM! index file.

What am I doing wrong?  How do I access it once it's in the correct directory?[/quote]

<blockquote>[quote user="cynist"]I want to create an address book that I administer but when people open PMail it is listed in the same place that the personal address book is listed.  <b></b></blockquote><blockquote><blockquote><b>An addressbook in the same directory as the PMail program though is always a system addressbook available to all users.</b></blockquote></blockquote><blockquote><p>I tried placing the personal.PM! in the: /PMail directory, the \\PMail\Programs directory, and the \\PMail\Programs\Defaults directory but have had no luck.</p></blockquote><p>An addressbook consists of two files, the PMR data file and PM! index file. </p><blockquote><p>What am I doing wrong?  How do I access it once it's in the correct directory?[/quote]</p></blockquote>

Thanks.  That worked.  In my Lotus email I had the ability to create groups.  Do I use the mailing list feature in PMail for this sort of feature?

Thanks.  That worked.  In my Lotus email I had the ability to create groups.  Do I use the mailing list feature in PMail for this sort of feature?

Another solution is to copy the address books in an other directory and to set the PMR environment variable to point to that directory. Pmail is installed on a server in networking mode. For the PMR, do I have to use UNC form (\\SERVER\PMAIl\Address-Books\ for example) or the standard Windows form (D:\APPS\PMAIL\Address-Books) ?.

Many thanks for your help.

<P>Another solution is to copy the address books in an other directory and to set the PMR environment variable to point to that directory. Pmail is installed on a server in networking mode. For the PMR, do I have to use UNC form (<A href="file://server/PMAIl/Address-Books/">\\SERVER\PMAIl\Address-Books\</A> for example) or the standard Windows form (D:\APPS\PMAIL\Address-Books) ?.</P> <P>Many thanks for your help.</P>

hi PHR

I have mapped my pegasus mail drive (net use M:\\server\mail)

and the clients i simply set env. variable in autoexec.bat

set pmr=M:\mail\Addr_book

set pml=M:\mail\Addr_book

and it's working perfectly for me.

yes i have to admit that the loading ... is a bit slow

thanks

kalu

<p>hi PHR</p><p>I have mapped my pegasus mail drive (net use M:\\server\mail)</p><p>and the clients i simply set env. variable in autoexec.bat </p><p>set pmr=M:\mail\Addr_book</p><p>set pml=M:\mail\Addr_book </p><p>and it's working perfectly for me.</p><p>yes i have to admit that the loading ... is a bit slow</p><p>thanks</p><p>kalu </p>

Hi Kalu

First of all, there is no need to declare the location of the public address books if they are located in the same folder than the program.

But if you decide to put them elsewhere you have to declare the new location, a solution is to declare the path to the public AB through ev on the different client computers but another solution is to use a pegasus.ini file located in the same folder than the program, it does exactly the same work than the different ev but it's easier to add one file to a directory than to change the ev on many computers.

The pegasus.ini file is as this:

[WinPMail 32-bit environment]

PMR=\\server\share\abooks

PML=\\server\share\dlists

MAI =\\server\share\pubfol

The 1st line declares the location of public addressbooks, the second is for distribution lists and he 3rd for public folders.

<p>Hi Kalu</p> <p>First of all, there is no need to declare the location of the public address books if they are located in the same folder than the program. </p><p>But if you decide to put them elsewhere you have to declare the new location, a solution is to declare the path to the public AB through ev on the different client computers but another solution is to use a pegasus.ini file located in the same folder than the program, it does exactly the same work than the different ev but it's easier to add one file to a directory than to change the ev on many computers.</p> <p>The pegasus.ini file is as this:</p> <pre>[WinPMail 32-bit environment]</pre> <pre>PMR=\\server\share\abooks</pre> <pre>PML=\\server\share\dlists</pre> <pre>MAI =\\server\share\pubfol</pre> <p>The 1st line declares the location of public addressbooks, the second is for distribution lists and he 3rd for public folders.</p>

[quote user="Phil"]

Hi Kalu

First of all, there is no need to declare the location of the public address books if they are located in the same folder than the program.

But if you decide to put them elsewhere you have to declare the new location, a solution is to declare the path to the public AB through ev on the different client computers but another solution is to use a pegasus.ini file located in the same folder than the program, it does exactly the same work than the different ev but it's easier to add one file to a directory than to change the ev on many computers.

The pegasus.ini file is as this:

[WinPMail 32-bit environment]

PMR=\\server\share\abooks

PML=\\server\share\dlists

MAI =\\server\share\pubfol

The 1st line declares the location of public addressbooks, the second is for distribution lists and he 3rd for public folders.

[/quote]

Thanks Phil

but i could not understand this

[quote user="Phil"]

First of all, there is no need to declare the location of the public

address books if they are located in the same folder than the program.

[/quote]

I have installed pegasus on c:\Pmail on all clients and all my mail are saved on M:\Mail\users\user1 and address book and distribution list are on server M:\Mail\Addreesbook.

and thanks, i didn't knew that we can use pegasus.ini to set the env. variable ... BUT we have to go to each and every client and update the pegasus.ini file don't we ?? by the way currently we are using logon script to set the environment variable.

Thanks

kalu

[quote user="Phil"]<p>Hi Kalu</p> <p>First of all, there is no need to declare the location of the public address books if they are located in the same folder than the program. </p><p>But if you decide to put them elsewhere you have to declare the new location, a solution is to declare the path to the public AB through ev on the different client computers but another solution is to use a pegasus.ini file located in the same folder than the program, it does exactly the same work than the different ev but it's easier to add one file to a directory than to change the ev on many computers.</p> <p>The pegasus.ini file is as this:</p> <pre>[WinPMail 32-bit environment]</pre> <pre>PMR=\\server\share\abooks</pre> <pre>PML=\\server\share\dlists</pre> <pre>MAI =\\server\share\pubfol</pre> <p>The 1st line declares the location of public addressbooks, the second is for distribution lists and he 3rd for public folders.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Thanks Phil</p><p>but i could not understand this </p><p>[quote user="Phil"] </p><p> First of all, there is no need to declare the location of the public address books if they are located in the same folder than the program.</p><p> [/quote]</p><p>I have installed pegasus on c:\Pmail on all clients and all my mail are saved on M:\Mail\users\user1 and address book and distribution list are on server M:\Mail\Addreesbook.</p><p> and thanks, i didn't knew that we can use pegasus.ini to set the env. variable ... BUT we have to go to each and every client and update the pegasus.ini file don't we ?? by the way currently we are using logon script to set the environment variable.</p><p>Thanks</p><p>kalu </p>

[quote user="kalu"]

Thanks Phil

but i could not understand this

[quote user="Phil"]

First of all, there is no need to declare the location of the public

address books if they are located in the same folder than the program.

[/quote]

I have installed pegasus on c:\Pmail on all clients and all my mail are

saved on M:\Mail\users\user1 and address book and distribution list are

on server M:\Mail\Addreesbook.

[/quote]

I understood that the program and the address books are located in the same folder, in that particular case there is no need to set the pmr ev. But if they are in different folders you have to do it. 

[quote user="kalu"]

and thanks, i didn't knew that we can use pegasus.ini to set the env. variable ... BUT we have to go to each and every client and update the pegasus.ini file don't we ?? by the way currently we are using logon script to set the environment variable.

Thanks

kalu

[/quote]

If all your users would have share the same copy of Pegasus Mail (located on a server share) you'd just have to create/modify the pegasus.ini file located at the same place, but in your particular case Pegasus Mail is located on every computer so the work has to be done on each, in that case your solution to set the ev via the logon script is IMHO the best solution.

BTW having Pegasus Mail located on every computer gives you much more work to change its configuration (update, adding extensions for everyone etc), did you consider to have only one copy on a server share?

Regards

<p>[quote user="kalu"]</p><p>Thanks Phil</p><p>but i could not understand this </p><p>[quote user="Phil"] </p><p> First of all, there is no need to declare the location of the public address books if they are located in the same folder than the program.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I have installed pegasus on c:\Pmail on all clients and all my mail are saved on M:\Mail\users\user1 and address book and distribution list are on server M:\Mail\Addreesbook.</p><p>[/quote] </p><p>I understood that the program and the address books are located in the same folder, in that particular case there is no need to set the pmr ev. But if they are in different folders you have to do it.  </p><p>[quote user="kalu"] </p><p>and thanks, i didn't knew that we can use pegasus.ini to set the env. variable ... BUT we have to go to each and every client and update the pegasus.ini file don't we ?? by the way currently we are using logon script to set the environment variable.</p><p>Thanks</p><p>kalu </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>If all your users would have share the same copy of Pegasus Mail (located on a server share) you'd just have to create/modify the pegasus.ini file located at the same place, but in your particular case Pegasus Mail is located on every computer so the work has to be done on each, in that case your solution to set the ev via the logon script is IMHO the best solution.</p><p>BTW having Pegasus Mail located on every computer gives you much more work to change its configuration (update, adding extensions for everyone etc), did you consider to have only one copy on a server share? </p><p>Regards </p><p> </p>

[quote user="Phil"]

BTW having Pegasus Mail located on every computer gives you much more work to change its configuration (update, adding extensions for everyone etc), did you consider to have only one copy on a server share?

Regards

[/quote]

Thanks Phil for the prompt reply.

Do you mean that installing pegasus mail on the server and using that application from all clients PC. Is that Possible ?? it would be wonderful if that's possilbe.

I guess the loading will be slow if all the client PC connects to pegasus mail on a single server. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Thank you verymuch

kalu

[quote user="Phil"]<p>BTW having Pegasus Mail located on every computer gives you much more work to change its configuration (update, adding extensions for everyone etc), did you consider to have only one copy on a server share? </p><p>Regards </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Thanks Phil for the prompt reply.</p><p>Do you mean that installing pegasus mail on the server and using that application from all clients PC. Is that Possible ?? it would be wonderful if that's possilbe. </p><p>I guess the loading will be slow if all the client PC connects to pegasus mail on a single server. Please correct me if i am wrong. Thank you verymuch</p><p>kalu </p>

That's what I do: 400 client computers having a shortcut to winpm-32.exe located on a share on the server, it's not slow (they don't all run it simoustaneously) and it's much more easier to maintain. The folder in which the program is located has read-execute rights for the users, only the admins can modify its content.

Regards

<p>That's what I do: 400 client computers having a shortcut to winpm-32.exe located on a share on the server, it's not slow (they don't all run it simoustaneously) and it's much more easier to maintain. The folder in which the program is located has read-execute rights for the users, only the admins can modify its content.</p><p>Regards </p>

wow.. 400 client computer and no slow..

I definetly gonna try that..
Thanks Phil

<p>wow.. 400 client computer and no slow..</p><p>I definetly gonna try that.. Thanks Phil</p><p>  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft