Community Discussions and Support
Preview mode - down arrow

I'm going to escalate this back up to a bug, because I've found that it re-occurs in a reproducible circumstance.  From the New Mail folder, select a message and then select MOVE.  From the Folders window that pops up, insert a NEW folder name and then select that folder so that the message will be moved into it.

You will now find that your newfound folder will also stop the down arrow from traversing the  list of folders.  At least until one touches the folder as indicated above. 

This is really quite an annoyance to somebody who uses the keyboard to great advantage.

<p>I'm going to escalate this back up to a bug, because I've found that it re-occurs in a reproducible circumstance.  From the New Mail folder, select a message and then select MOVE.  From the Folders window that pops up, insert a NEW folder name and then select that folder so that the message will be moved into it. </p><p>You will now find that your newfound folder will also stop the down arrow from traversing the  list of folders.  At least until one touches the folder as indicated above.  </p><p>This is really quite an annoyance to somebody who uses the keyboard to great advantage.  </p>

Maybe I'm just not understanding how things work, but this seems like a bug to me.

I have many folders and sub-folders in the left-hand folder pane.  When I select a given line in the folder pane, I can invariably use the down arrow to move the focus to the next lower folder or sub-folder a few times.  In fact, the faster I press the down arrow repeatedly, the more folders I can traverse with the down arrow.

However, invariably the focus will shift to the upper right hand pane (the message list) and my down arrows now start to move through the list of messages in that folder, rather than continue to move through the folder list.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a setting which I have overlooked which would allow the focus to remain in the folder pane permanently if all I am doing is scrolling with up and down arrows?  Should I use a different key or key combination to scroll?

Thanks

<p>Maybe I'm just not understanding how things work, but this seems like a bug to me.</p><p>I have many folders and sub-folders in the left-hand folder pane.  When I select a given line in the folder pane, I can invariably use the down arrow to move the focus to the next lower folder or sub-folder a few times.  In fact, the faster I press the down arrow repeatedly, the more folders I can traverse with the down arrow.</p><p>However, invariably the focus will shift to the upper right hand pane (the message list) and my down arrows now start to move through the list of messages in that folder, rather than continue to move through the folder list.</p><p>Is this a known issue?  Is there a setting which I have overlooked which would allow the focus to remain in the folder pane permanently if all I am doing is scrolling with up and down arrows?  Should I use a different key or key combination to scroll?</p><p>Thanks</p><p>  </p><p> </p>

[quote user="MikePreston"]

Maybe I'm just not understanding how things work, but this seems like a bug to me.

I have many folders and sub-folders in the left-hand folder pane.  When I select a given line in the folder pane, I can invariably use the down arrow to move the focus to the next lower folder or sub-folder a few times.  In fact, the faster I press the down arrow repeatedly, the more folders I can traverse with the down arrow.

However, invariably the focus will shift to the upper right hand pane (the message list) and my down arrows now start to move through the list of messages in that folder, rather than continue to move through the folder list.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a setting which I have overlooked which would allow the focus to remain in the folder pane permanently if all I am doing is scrolling with up and down arrows?  Should I use a different key or key combination to scroll?

Thanks

[/quote]

You will notice that when you do it again, you can now bypass the folders that moved the focus to the upper right pane. I don't know what is going on but it looks like the first time a folder-line is touched this way it will move the focus, but after that not anymore. Can you confirm this?

[quote user="MikePreston"]<p>Maybe I'm just not understanding how things work, but this seems like a bug to me.</p><p>I have many folders and sub-folders in the left-hand folder pane.  When I select a given line in the folder pane, I can invariably use the down arrow to move the focus to the next lower folder or sub-folder a few times.  In fact, the faster I press the down arrow repeatedly, the more folders I can traverse with the down arrow.</p><p>However, invariably the focus will shift to the upper right hand pane (the message list) and my down arrows now start to move through the list of messages in that folder, rather than continue to move through the folder list.</p><p>Is this a known issue?  Is there a setting which I have overlooked which would allow the focus to remain in the folder pane permanently if all I am doing is scrolling with up and down arrows?  Should I use a different key or key combination to scroll?</p><p>Thanks</p><p> [/quote]</p><p>You will notice that when you do it again, you can now bypass the folders that moved the focus to the upper right pane. I don't know what is going on but it looks like the first time a folder-line is touched this way it will move the focus, but after that not anymore. Can you confirm this?</p><p> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

So confirmed.  I guess this isn't much of an issue with folks who have few folders.  I have a few thousand.  Yes, I recently upgraded.  I will take a convenient (?) hour or two and touch them all so that this behaviour no longer affects this installation of pegasus.  Thanks.

So confirmed.  I guess this isn't much of an issue with folks who have few folders.  I have a few thousand.  Yes, I recently upgraded.  I will take a convenient (?) hour or two and touch them all so that this behaviour no longer affects this installation of pegasus.  Thanks.

It appears that the down arrow results in a traversal of the upper right hand pane when the state.pmj file does not contain a line in the [FOLDER] section with the folder information.

As I recall, there was a limit to the size of state.pmj in 3.12c.  I easily exceeded that limit. I had something like 600 lines of folder information in my state.pmj file before upgrade to 4.41. I now have something like 1000 lines of folder information in my state.pmj file in 4.41 (and counting, I imagine).

When a new line of folder information is added, it is in the fomat of:

A:B:FOLDERID=a,b,c,d,"e,f,g,h,i,j"

You are probably more familiar with the values intended for A,B,a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j than I am. A is an 8 byte hexadecimal number, B is a 4 byte hexadecimal number. It appears that together, A and B form a unique identifier (index) for use by pmail. a,b,c and d appear to define a window's coordinates.  As do e through j. The old version of pmail (3.12c) only included five items here (e through i), while the new version displays six (e through i) although I note that the sixth one is always zero in my installation.  You can tell where the new lines were started because the first one that shows up is the "New Mail=" line.

As I said, you probably know more about that format information than I will ever know.  Perhaps it isn't worth the effort to change the upgrade routine to add those lines to the FOLDER section of the state.pmj file, since it only impacts those of us upgrading directly from 3.12c to a version that allows more space in the state.pmj file. 

If I understood more about the unique ID's which are composed of the A and B variables mentioned above, I might be tempted to write a small routine to search through the /mail directory for filenames that are not represented in the FOLDER section and then add a new line to the FOLDER section for each.  It appears that all values a through i on my system are consistent for each and every folder added after my upgrade, so figuring out A and B is all that I need to do in order to determine how the lines should be added. 

<p>It appears that the down arrow results in a traversal of the upper right hand pane when the state.pmj file does not contain a line in the [FOLDER] section with the folder information.</p><p>As I recall, there was a limit to the size of state.pmj in 3.12c.  I easily exceeded that limit. I had something like 600 lines of folder information in my state.pmj file before upgrade to 4.41. I now have something like 1000 lines of folder information in my state.pmj file in 4.41 (and counting, I imagine).</p><p>When a new line of folder information is added, it is in the fomat of:</p><p>A:B:FOLDERID=a,b,c,d,"e,f,g,h,i,j" </p><p>You are probably more familiar with the values intended for A,B,a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j than I am. A is an 8 byte hexadecimal number, B is a 4 byte hexadecimal number. It appears that together, A and B form a unique identifier (index) for use by pmail. a,b,c and d appear to define a window's coordinates.  As do e through j. The old version of pmail (3.12c) only included five items here (e through i), while the new version displays six (e through i) although I note that the sixth one is always zero in my installation.  You can tell where the new lines were started because the first one that shows up is the "New Mail=" line.</p><p>As I said, you probably know more about that format information than I will ever know.  Perhaps it isn't worth the effort to change the upgrade routine to add those lines to the FOLDER section of the state.pmj file, since it only impacts those of us upgrading directly from 3.12c to a version that allows more space in the state.pmj file. </p><p>If I understood more about the unique ID's which are composed of the A and B variables mentioned above, I might be tempted to write a small routine to search through the /mail directory for filenames that are not represented in the FOLDER section and then add a new line to the FOLDER section for each.  It appears that all values a through i on my system are consistent for each and every folder added after my upgrade, so figuring out A and B is all that I need to do in order to determine how the lines should be added. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft