Community Discussions and Support
new message keeps popping up

thanks to all who responded to my post...problem now fixed!!  Thanks again!

thanks to all who responded to my post...problem now fixed!!  Thanks again!

Using PMail v4.12.  Recently, it has begun to exhibit a strange behavior.  Whenever I open Pegasus after it has been closed, I get a message tellling me that there is an unfinished message in the queue and asking if I want to open it.  I click yes, and a blank message popus up.....which I then cancel.  It doesn't seem to be hurting anything, but it is annoying!  Any idea why this is happening and how I can stop it?

davidp54

<P>Using PMail v4.12.  Recently, it has begun to exhibit a strange behavior.  Whenever I open Pegasus after it has been closed, I get a message tellling me that there is an unfinished message in the queue and asking if I want to open it.  I click yes, and a blank message popus up.....which I then cancel.  It doesn't seem to be hurting anything, but it is annoying!  Any idea why this is happening and how I can stop it?</P> <P>davidp54</P>

Check in your data directory for any 0 byte files with ext of pmm

Check in your data directory for any 0 byte files with ext of pmm

Hello!

I think that <http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/2709.aspx> gives you the answer.
I am quoting it here for you:

****** http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/2709.aspx ******
This description covers the following problem: The Queue Manager lists one or more messages that do not have any content and that re-appear even after being deleted from the queue.

To get rid of them, follow these steps:

1. Find out where your home mailbox directory is. When Pegasus Mail is running, go to "Help" | "About Pegasus Mail" | "Info" where you can find a line saying "Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\User" (or a similar path for "Home mailbox location:"). The directory path given in this example is likely to be different from the one you have. Write down the path you are displayed in your case.
    (The home mailbox directory contains almost all files, data, addressbooks, settings etc. a user has. It also has the messages you have sent to the queue.)
  2. Close Pegasus Mail.
  3. Open a file manager tool (the usual Windows Explorer will do). Open the directory you have written down in step (1).
  4. Look for any files with the file extension *.pmo and *.pmw and *.pmx.
    Note: if Windows does not show you the file extension, you have to enable that (by default, Windows Explorer does not show you the file extensions, so you may have to enable them.)
  5. Some of them probably have a size of 0. These files are the ones to re-appear in the Queue manager. Delete these zero-byte files (but only those with the file extensions *.pmo, *.pmw and *.pmx).
  6. Restart Pegasus Mail, find out what happens. The Queue Manager will not contain any ghost messages anymore.

In order to ensure that you do not erase any good files, you may consider two safety rules:
  • Before doing anything, send all good messages you have in the Queue manager in order to make sure that the Queue Manager only contains the re-appearing messages.
  • As usual, a backup of all your Pegasus Mail data files is a good idea.

I hope this helps.

[EDIT: aderoy's answer is correct as well. I simply did not see it when I was writing my reply.]
Hello! I think that &amp;lt;&lt;A href=&quot;/forums/thread/2709.aspx&quot; mce_href=&quot;/forums/thread/2709.aspx&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/2709.aspx&amp;gt;&lt;/A&gt; gives you the answer. I am quoting it here for you: ****** &lt;A href=&quot;/forums/thread/2709.aspx&quot; mce_href=&quot;/forums/thread/2709.aspx&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/2709.aspx &lt;/A&gt;****** This description covers the following problem: The Queue Manager lists one or more messages that do not have any content and that re-appear even after being deleted from the queue. To get rid of them, follow these steps: &lt;OL&gt;&lt;LI&gt;Find out where your &lt;U&gt;home mailbox directory&lt;/U&gt; is. When Pegasus Mail is running, go to &quot;Help&quot; | &quot;About Pegasus Mail&quot; | &quot;Info&quot; where you can find a line saying &quot;Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\User&quot; (or a similar path for &quot;Home mailbox location:&quot;). The directory path given in this example is likely to be different from the one you have. &lt;U&gt;Write down the path&lt;/U&gt; you are displayed in your case. (The home mailbox directory contains almost all files, data, addressbooks, settings etc. a user has. It also has the messages you have sent to the queue.)&lt;/LI&gt; &lt;LI&gt;&lt;U&gt;Close&lt;/U&gt; Pegasus Mail.&lt;/LI&gt; &lt;LI&gt;Open a file manager tool (the usual Windows Explorer will do). &lt;U&gt;Open the directory you have written down&lt;/U&gt; in step (1).&lt;/LI&gt; &lt;LI&gt;Look for any &lt;U&gt;files with the file extension *.pmo and *.pmw and *.pmx&lt;/U&gt;. Note: if Windows does not show you the file extension, you have to enable that (by default, Windows Explorer does not show you the file extensions, so you may have to enable them.)&lt;/LI&gt; &lt;LI&gt;Some of them&nbsp;probably&nbsp;have&nbsp;a&nbsp;size&nbsp;of&nbsp;0.&nbsp;These&nbsp;files&nbsp;are the ones to re-appear&nbsp;in&nbsp;the&nbsp;Queue&nbsp;manager.&nbsp;&lt;U&gt;Delete&nbsp;these&nbsp;zero-byte&nbsp;files&lt;/U&gt; (but only those with the file extensions *.pmo, *.pmw and *.pmx).&lt;/LI&gt; &lt;LI&gt;&lt;U&gt;Restart Pegasus Mail&lt;/U&gt;, find out what happens. The Queue Manager&nbsp;will&nbsp;not&nbsp;contain&nbsp;any&nbsp;ghost&nbsp;messages&nbsp;anymore. &lt;/OL&gt; In order to ensure that you do not erase any good files, you may consider two safety&nbsp;rules: &lt;UL&gt;&lt;LI&gt;Before doing anything, send all good messages you have in the Queue manager&nbsp;in&nbsp;order&nbsp;to make sure that the Queue Manager only contains the re-appearing messages.&lt;/LI&gt;&lt;/UL&gt;&lt;UL&gt;&lt;LI&gt;As usual, a backup of all your Pegasus Mail data files is a good idea.&lt;/LI&gt;&lt;/UL&gt;************ I hope this helps. [EDIT: aderoy&#039;s answer is correct as well. I simply did not see it when I was writing my reply.]

[quote user="davidp54"]

Using PMail v4.12.  Recently, it has begun to exhibit a strange behavior.  Whenever I open Pegasus after it has been closed, I get a message tellling me that there is an unfinished message in the queue and asking if I want to open it.  I click yes, and a blank message popus up.....which I then cancel.  It doesn't seem to be hurting anything, but it is annoying!  Any idea why this is happening and how I can stop it?

davidp54

[/quote]

1.  Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info to locate the HOME
    mail directory.

2.  Use File Manager or Explorer and go to this directory and
    delete the zero length PMO, PMX and PMW files.

[quote user=&quot;davidp54&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Using PMail v4.12.&amp;nbsp; Recently, it&amp;nbsp;has begun to exhibit&amp;nbsp;a strange behavior.&amp;nbsp; Whenever I open Pegasus after it has been closed, I get a message tellling me that there is an unfinished message in the queue and asking if I want to open it.&amp;nbsp; I click yes, and a blank message popus up.....which I then cancel.&amp;nbsp; It doesn&#039;t seem to be hurting anything, but it is annoying!&amp;nbsp; Any idea why this is happening and how I can stop it?&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;davidp54&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;1.&amp;nbsp; Use Help | About Pegasus Mail | Info to locate the HOME &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; mail directory. 2.&amp;nbsp; Use File Manager or Explorer and go to this directory and &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; delete the zero length PMO, PMX and PMW files. &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft