Community Discussions and Support
MercuryI (IMAP) and MercuryD (POP3 client)

Are you on dialup?   If not why not just make Mercury check for mail rather more often I poll about once a minute at home where I have STACKS of bandwidth and a free always on connection.

Are you on dialup?   If not why not just make Mercury check for mail rather more often I poll about once a minute at home where I have STACKS of bandwidth and a free always on connection.

Hi,

I installed Mercury (for windows) at home to have an IMAP-server that enables us to read our mail from any computer in the network.

Therefore I created 3 IMAP-accounts (1 for each person) and set up MercuryD to fetch the mail from the remote POP3-server(s) (usually the one from our internet service provider and some others) and saves them in the local MercuryI IMAP storage.
MercuryD checks for mail every 3600 seconds.

My question: Is there a way to let MercuryD checks mail not only every 3600 seconds but also when someone checks his/her mail on a computer in the network, so that he or she can read all mails (also the ones that were received 5 minutes ago in the remote mailbox)?

More practically explained: when some presses "check mail" in the email client program, I would like to let Mercury download new messages instantly. Is that possible?

We use Mozilla Thunderbird and Pegasus Mail as mail client (depending on wich computer).

Many Thanks!

<p>Hi,</p><p>I installed Mercury (for windows) at home to have an IMAP-server that enables us to read our mail from any computer in the network. </p><p>Therefore I created 3 IMAP-accounts (1 for each person) and set up MercuryD to fetch the mail from the remote POP3-server(s) (usually the one from our internet service provider and some others) and saves them in the local MercuryI IMAP storage. MercuryD checks for mail every 3600 seconds.</p><p>My question: Is there a way to let MercuryD checks mail not only every 3600 seconds but also when someone checks his/her mail on a computer in the network, so that he or she can read all mails (also the ones that were received 5 minutes ago in the remote mailbox)? </p><p>More practically explained: when some presses "check mail" in the email client program, I would like to let Mercury download new messages instantly. Is that possible? </p><p>We use Mozilla Thunderbird and Pegasus Mail as mail client (depending on wich computer).</p><p>  Many Thanks!  </p>

On 15 Jul 2007 Pegasus Mail & Mercury - Automated Email <> wrote:

> I installed Mercury (for windows) at home to have an
> IMAP-server that enables us to read our mail from any
> computer in the network.
>
> Therefore I created 3 IMAP-accounts (1 for each person) and
> set up MercuryD to fetch the mail from the remote
> POP3-server(s) (usually the one from our internet service
> provider and some others) and saves them in the local
> MercuryI IMAP storage. MercuryD checks for mail every 3600
> seconds.
>
> My question: Is there a way to let MercuryD checks mail not
> only every 3600 seconds but also when someone checks his/her
> mail on a computer in the network, so that he or she can read
> all mails (also the ones that were received 5 minutes ago in
> the remote mailbox)?

Nope, but if you Cc: or Bcc: a special address when sending and the daemon module poll will do this.  You can trigger either MercuryX or MercuryD to get the download started through the sending of a message to a special alias.

Poll Daemon for Mercury/32 version 3.01
Copyright (C) 2000 Petr Jaklin

When you send mail to address of MON.DLL daemon, it sends 'Poll Now' command to configured module. Three modules are currently supported: MercuryD, MercuryX, MercuryE and MercuryC.   

Body of 'WakeUp' mail is unimportant, so you can (e.g.) Bcc: your mail to MercuryC wake up address to start immediate sending.  

It seems to be nice, invoke  MON.DLL in global filter rule. Alas, I am not able to make it working. So you must send email now.  

MON.DLL adds module 'ModulePoll' into mercury statistics when first run.  

There are two counters in this module:

Failures    ...    some problem with invoking of daemon,
                e.g. module to poll is not running

PollHits    ...    number of succesfull polls

Check out http://www.3net.cz/software

>
> More practically explained: when some presses "check mail" in
> the email client program, I would like to let Mercury
> download new messages instantly. Is that possible?
>
> We use Mozilla Thunderbird and Pegasus Mail as mail client
> (depending on wich computer).
>
>  

On 15 Jul 2007 Pegasus Mail &amp;amp; Mercury - Automated Email &amp;lt;&amp;gt; wrote: &amp;gt; I installed Mercury (for windows) at home to have an &amp;gt; IMAP-server that enables us to read our mail from any &amp;gt; computer in the network. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; Therefore I created 3 IMAP-accounts (1 for each person) and &amp;gt; set up MercuryD to fetch the mail from the remote &amp;gt; POP3-server(s) (usually the one from our internet service &amp;gt; provider and some others) and saves them in the local &amp;gt; MercuryI IMAP storage. MercuryD checks for mail every 3600 &amp;gt; seconds. &amp;gt; &amp;gt; My question: Is there a way to let MercuryD checks mail not &amp;gt; only every 3600 seconds but also when someone checks his/her &amp;gt; mail on a computer in the network, so that he or she can read &amp;gt; all mails (also the ones that were received 5 minutes ago in &amp;gt; the remote mailbox)? Nope, but if you Cc: or Bcc: a special address when sending and the daemon module poll will do this.&amp;nbsp; You can trigger either MercuryX or MercuryD to get the download started through the sending of a message to a special alias. Poll Daemon for Mercury/32 version 3.01 Copyright (C) 2000 Petr Jaklin When you send mail to address of MON.DLL daemon, it sends &#039;Poll Now&#039; command to configured module. Three modules are currently supported: MercuryD, MercuryX, MercuryE and MercuryC.&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp; Body of &#039;WakeUp&#039; mail is unimportant, so you can (e.g.) Bcc: your mail to MercuryC wake up address to start immediate sending. &amp;nbsp; It seems to be nice, invoke&amp;nbsp; MON.DLL in global filter rule. Alas, I am not able to make it working. So you must send email now. &amp;nbsp; MON.DLL adds module &#039;ModulePoll&#039; into mercury statistics when first run. &amp;nbsp; There are two counters in this module: &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;Failures&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;...&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;some problem with invoking of daemon, &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;e.g. module to poll is not running &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;PollHits&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;...&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;nbsp;number of succesfull polls Check out http://www.3net.cz/software &amp;gt; &amp;gt; More practically explained: when some presses &quot;check mail&quot; in &amp;gt; the email client program, I would like to let Mercury &amp;gt; download new messages instantly. Is that possible? &amp;gt; &amp;gt; We use Mozilla Thunderbird and Pegasus Mail as mail client &amp;gt; (depending on wich computer). &amp;gt; &amp;gt; &amp;nbsp;

Thank you for the quick response!

Unfortunately, it appears to be incompatible with version 4.5 of Mercury. I tried it without errors but the poll function isn't executed.
Maybe a feature to add in the next version of Mercury. [Y]

&lt;p&gt;Thank you for the quick response!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Unfortunately, it appears to be incompatible with version 4.5 of Mercury. I tried it without errors but the poll function isn&#039;t executed. Maybe a feature to add in the next version of Mercury. [Y] &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="phantasy"]

Thank you for the quick response!

Unfortunately, it appears to be incompatible with version 4.5 of Mercury. I tried it without errors but the poll function isn't executed.
Maybe a feature to add in the next version of Mercury. [Y]

[/quote]

Huh? I use it now for testing and have used it for months with v4.51.  Can you tell me what is not working?   What have you entered in daemon.ini?

[quote user=&quot;phantasy&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Thank you for the quick response!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Unfortunately, it appears to be incompatible with version 4.5 of Mercury. I tried it without errors but the poll function isn&#039;t executed. Maybe a feature to add in the next version of Mercury. [Y] &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Huh? I use it now for testing and have used it for months with v4.51.&amp;nbsp; Can you tell me what is not working? &amp;nbsp; What have you entered in daemon.ini?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I have copied MON.dll to the Mercury install directory.
In daemon.ini I've added 2 lines: ModulePoll=mon.dll under [global daemons] and again ModulePoll=mon.dll under [Daemon Config]. Using [daemons] instead of [global daemons] or use full path names doesn't resolve the problem.
Under the configuration menu, I click on ModulePoll and type checkmail@home in the textbox right after MercuryD. I leave all other textboxes with the standard values.

Strangely enough, when I press save and then open the ModulePoll daemon configuration window again, the standard values are filled in again (mercdon@home , etc.). If I type in checkmail@home again, and press save again, a pop-up message is saying that this alias already exists and asks if I want to replace it,. so I have the feeling that the alias is successfully created.

The SMTP-server is configured with the default options.

Now, when I send a mail to checkmail@home or mercdon@home with the local smtp server, the mail is successfully sent, but no poll procedure is executed.
The only thing I notice is the counter of General/incoming jobs under the 'ready' column in the Mercury Core Process window is raised by one. But when I press the 'poll now' button in that window , then also a poll procedure is executed instantly in MercuryD. Also a log message mentioning To:daemon.dll;D (local) -OK appears. All messages seeming that it works and no error messages.....

&lt;p&gt;I have copied MON.dll to the Mercury install directory. In daemon.ini I&#039;ve added 2 lines: ModulePoll=mon.dll under [global daemons] and again ModulePoll=mon.dll under [Daemon Config]. Using [daemons] instead of [global daemons] or use full path names doesn&#039;t resolve the problem. Under the configuration menu, I click on ModulePoll and type checkmail@home in the textbox right after MercuryD. I leave all other textboxes with the standard values.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Strangely enough, when I press save and then open the ModulePoll daemon configuration window again, the standard values are filled in again (mercdon@home , etc.). If I type in checkmail@home again, and press save again, a pop-up message is saying that this alias already exists and asks if I want to replace it,. so I have the feeling that the alias is successfully created.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The SMTP-server is configured with the default options.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Now, when I send a mail to checkmail@home or mercdon@home with the local smtp server, the mail is successfully sent, but no poll procedure is executed. The only thing I notice is the counter of General/incoming jobs under the &#039;ready&#039; column in the Mercury Core Process window is raised by one. But when I press the &#039;poll now&#039; button in that window , then also a poll procedure is executed instantly in MercuryD. Also a log message mentioning To:daemon.dll;D (local) -OK appears. All messages seeming that it works and no error messages..... &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I suspect there is something wrong with the alias.  Do you see a message in core sending mail to the dll?

17:05:40: Job MG000005:  from postmaster@novelltstephenson.com (local)
   To: Daemon:mon.dll;D (local) -OK

&lt;p&gt;I suspect there is something wrong with the alias.&amp;nbsp; Do you see a message in core sending mail to the dll?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;17:05:40: Job MG000005:&amp;nbsp; from postmaster@novelltstephenson.com (local) &amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; To: Daemon:mon.dll;D (local) -OK &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

I don't think that there is something wrong with the alias.
Configuration --> Aliases.. says Alias: checkmail@home  Real address: Daemon:mon.dll;D

In fact, everything works, but with a delay.
Example:
Configuration --> Mercury Core Module... --> General tab --> Poll for new mail every: 600 seconds.
Configuration --> MercuryD POP3 Client  --> Check every: 3600 seconds.

When I do nothing, the systems checks mail every 3600 seconds.
When I send a mail to checkmail@home , mon.dll is invoked within 600 seconds and checks for new mail.

A solution could be to set the poll interval for checking new mail in the local mailboxes to 10 seconds. But then the core module checks the local mailboxes every 10 seconds. Is that the solution that you apply or is there something else not right configured?

Thanks. 

&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t think that there is something wrong with the alias. Configuration --&amp;gt; Aliases.. says Alias: checkmail@home&amp;nbsp; Real address: Daemon:mon.dll;D&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;In fact, everything works, but with a delay. Example: Configuration --&amp;gt; Mercury Core Module... --&amp;gt; General tab --&amp;gt; Poll for new mail every: 600 seconds. Configuration --&amp;gt; MercuryD POP3 Client&amp;nbsp; --&amp;gt; Check every: 3600 seconds. When I do nothing, the systems checks mail every 3600 seconds. When I send a mail to checkmail@home , mon.dll is invoked within 600 seconds and checks for new mail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;A solution could be to set the poll interval for checking new mail in the local mailboxes to 10 seconds. But then the core module checks the local mailboxes every 10 seconds. Is that the solution that you apply or is there something else not right configured?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="phantasy"]

I don't think that there is something wrong with the alias.
Configuration --> Aliases.. says Alias: checkmail@home  Real address: Daemon:mon.dll;D

In fact, everything works, but with a delay.
Example:
Configuration --> Mercury Core Module... --> General tab --> Poll for new mail every: 600 seconds.
Configuration --> MercuryD POP3 Client  --> Check every: 3600 seconds.

When I do nothing, the systems checks mail every 3600 seconds.
When I send a mail to checkmail@home , mon.dll is invoked within 600 seconds and checks for new mail.

A solution could be to set the poll interval for checking new mail in the local mailboxes to 10 seconds. But then the core module checks the local mailboxes every 10 seconds. Is that the solution that you apply or is there something else not right configured?  Actually core is just looking at the queue for something to process, it is only talking to the mailboxes when delivering the mail.

Thanks. 

[/quote]

I've always had core polling at 10 seconds and I'm not at all sure why you have it polling at anything else.   Mercury/32 can be getting mail from all over, most of which would not require a connection to the internet. 

[quote user=&quot;phantasy&quot;]&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t think that there is something wrong with the alias. Configuration --&amp;gt; Aliases.. says Alias: checkmail@home&amp;nbsp; Real address: Daemon:mon.dll;D&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;In fact, everything works, but with a delay. Example: Configuration --&amp;gt; Mercury Core Module... --&amp;gt; General tab --&amp;gt; Poll for new mail every: 600 seconds. Configuration --&amp;gt; MercuryD POP3 Client&amp;nbsp; --&amp;gt; Check every: 3600 seconds. When I do nothing, the systems checks mail every 3600 seconds. When I send a mail to checkmail@home , mon.dll is invoked within 600 seconds and checks for new mail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;A solution could be to set the poll interval for checking new mail in the local mailboxes to 10 seconds. But then the core module checks the local mailboxes every 10 seconds. Is that the solution that you apply or is there something else not right configured?&amp;nbsp; Actually core is just looking at the queue for something to process, it is only talking to the mailboxes when delivering the mail.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I&#039;ve always had core polling at 10 seconds and I&#039;m not at all sure why you have it polling at anything else. &amp;nbsp; Mercury/32 can be getting mail from all over, most of which would not require a connection to the internet.&amp;nbsp; &lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft