Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Attachment selection

My experience of the average PC user is that they just plod on. I've been a network administrator for 12 years now, providing support to staff and my experience is that those who are not PC savvy do not think to look at the options to see if this can be changed. Those staff that do attempt it often find it a chore trying to find the setting. This is why I asked if the default installation configuration can be changed. I ask for two reasons:

1. New customers will be able to select more than one attachment without wasting time figuring out how to enable multiple file selection.

2. It makes Pegasus Mail just that little bit more user friendly.

<P>My experience of the average PC user is that they just plod on. I've been a network administrator for 12 years now, providing support to staff and my experience is that those who are not PC savvy do not think to look at the options to see if this can be changed. Those staff that do attempt it often find it a chore trying to find the setting. This is why I asked if the default installation configuration can be changed. I ask for two reasons:</P> <P>1. New customers will be able to select more than one attachment without wasting time figuring out how to enable multiple file selection.</P> <P>2. It makes Pegasus Mail just that little bit more user friendly.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Hello

Can the default installation of Pegasus Mail be configured so that multiple attachments can be selected instead of just one. That would be great.

Thanks

<P>Hello</P> <P>Can the default installation of Pegasus Mail be configured so that multiple attachments can be selected instead of just one. That would be great.</P> <P>Thanks</P>

Assuming you mean to select multiple files as attachments, then use menu Tools/Options/General settings/Advanced and check item "Allow multiple file selection..."

Martin 

<p>Assuming you mean to select multiple files as attachments, then use menu Tools/Options/General settings/Advanced and check item "Allow multiple file selection..."</p><p>Martin </p>

Thanks, Martin, I know how to change this, but I think it would be more appropriate if the default installation was configured so that multiple attachments could be selected instead of having to do them one at a time.

Thanks, Martin, I know how to change this, but I think it would be more appropriate if the <EM>default installation</EM> was configured so that multiple attachments could be selected instead of having to do them one at a time.

[quote user="Greenman"]but I think it would be more appropriate if the default installation was configured so that multiple attachments could be selected instead of having to do them one at a time.[/quote]

The reason for disabling the former default was for preventing crashes related to this feature ...

<p>[quote user="Greenman"]but I think it would be more appropriate if the <em>default installation</em> was configured so that multiple attachments could be selected instead of having to do them one at a time.[/quote]</p><p>The reason for disabling the former default was for preventing crashes related to this feature ...</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Thanks for explaining. Is this something that is being fixed for the next version?

Thanks for explaining. Is this something that is being fixed for the next version?

[quote user="Greenman"]Thanks for explaining. Is this something that is being fixed for the next version?[/quote]

If David Harris could have fixed it he wouldn't have resorted to a workaround ... I don't remember all the details, though.

<p>[quote user="Greenman"]Thanks for explaining. Is this something that is being fixed for the next version?[/quote]</p><p>If David Harris could have fixed it he wouldn't have resorted to a workaround ... I don't remember all the details, though.</p>
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

[quote user="Greenman"]Thanks, Martin, I know how to change this, but I think it would be more appropriate if the default installation was configured so that multiple attachments could be selected instead of having to do them one at a time.[/quote]

Only brand new users or those doing full clean install with no pmail.ini file would notice either way. For all others doing updates their settings would remain as set when last run. That is why old  users never notice any default settings changes.

<p>[quote user="Greenman"]Thanks, Martin, I know how to change this, but I think it would be more appropriate if the <i>default installation</i> was configured so that multiple attachments could be selected instead of having to do them one at a time.[/quote]</p><p>Only brand new users or those doing full clean install with no pmail.ini file would notice either way. For all others doing updates their settings would remain as set when last run. That is why old  users never notice any default settings changes. </p>

[quote user="Jerry Wise"]

[quote user="Greenman"]Thanks, Martin, I know how to change this, but I think it would be more appropriate if the default installation was configured so that multiple attachments could be selected instead of having to do them one at a time.[/quote]

Only brand new users or those doing full clean install with no pmail.ini file would notice either way. For all others doing updates their settings would remain as set when last run. That is why old  users never notice any default settings changes.

[/quote]

The reason I asked is because I realised that some staff were adding attachments one by one. Of course, when you change the option to allow multiple file selection when adding attachments, that setting will stick. But, I wondered how many other people were uneccessarily doing this when they did not need to. FWIW, I have never experienced a crash when selecting multiple files to be attached to a message, and, to the best of my knowledge none of our staff have either and we have been using Pegasus Mail since the mid 90's. We select files both locally and across a network.

[quote user="Jerry Wise"] <P>[quote user="Greenman"]Thanks, Martin, I know how to change this, but I think it would be more appropriate if the <I>default installation</I> was configured so that multiple attachments could be selected instead of having to do them one at a time.[/quote]</P> <P>Only brand new users or those doing full clean install with no pmail.ini file would notice either way. For all others doing updates their settings would remain as set when last run. That is why old  users never notice any default settings changes. </P> <P>[/quote]</P> <P>The reason I asked is because I realised that some staff were adding attachments one by one. Of course, when you change the option to allow multiple file selection when adding attachments, that setting will stick. But, I wondered how many other people were uneccessarily doing this when they did not need to. FWIW, I have never experienced a crash when selecting multiple files to be attached to a message, and, to the best of my knowledge none of our staff have either and we have been using Pegasus Mail since the mid 90's. We select files both locally and across a network.</P>

[quote user="idw"]If David Harris could have fixed it he wouldn't have resorted to a workaround ... I don't remember all the details, though.[/quote]

The help gives the background:

[quote]Allow multiple file selection when adding attachments

If you have installed Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 on your computer, then there is a high likelihood that your Windows XP system will crash any time any application attempts to present the version of the standard Windows "Open File" dialog that allows multiple files to be selected. This is NOT a bug in Pegasus Mail - it is a bug in another vendor's product that AFFECTS Pegasus Mail. Because we can't have our program crashing unexpectedly on our users when we can avoid it, we have disabled multiple selection of files by default to work around this problem. If your system is not affected by this problem (either because you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed or because Adobe finally get around to fixing the problem), then you can check this control to re-enable multiple file selection when adding attachments.We suggest using this control with care.[/quote]

It was so many years ago (ADR is now up to v9 at least) and the chances of ADR v7 and XP on a new install is so remote I suspect the default setting could be changed without major problems.

<P>[quote user="idw"]If David Harris could have fixed it he wouldn't have resorted to a workaround ... I don't remember all the details, though.[/quote]</P> <P>The help gives the background:</P> <P>[quote]<SPAN lang=EN>Allow multiple file selection when adding attachments</SPAN></P> <P><SPAN lang=EN><FONT size=2>If you have installed Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 on your computer, then there is a high likelihood that your Windows XP system will crash any time <I>any</I> application attempts to present the version of the standard Windows "Open File" dialog that allows multiple files to be selected. This is NOT a bug in Pegasus Mail - it is a bug in another vendor's product that AFFECTS Pegasus Mail. Because we can't have our program crashing unexpectedly on our users when we can avoid it, we have disabled multiple selection of files by default to work around this problem. If your system is not affected by this problem (either because you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed or because Adobe finally get around to fixing the problem), then you can check this control to re-enable multiple file selection when adding attachments.We suggest using this control with care.[/quote]</P> <P></FONT></SPAN> It was so many years ago (ADR is now up to v9 at least) and the chances of ADR v7 and XP on a new install is so remote I suspect the default setting could be changed without major problems.</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft