Community Discussions and Support
Forwarding mail with attachments

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="arosner"]

Might as well raise my pet peeves in this thread:

1. When attaching an HTML file, I have to remember to change the encoding to "ASCII file", otherwise it arrives looking like gibberish. Why can't this be done automatically (or can it - do I just change the file association)?

Just change the file type to HTML-text and/or change the filetype.pm in the program directory to do this for you in "Let the program decide"  FWIW, what version are you using?  This should be a default.

2. When forwarding without edit (redirect or "bounce"), all is well. Forwarding with edit, however, adds phantom "attachments" (such as plain text, html) which I presume are different formats of my message. Many recipients are confused, writing back saying "I couldn't open your attachments". I've fiddled with "no styling" and "no rich text" or whatever, to no avail. Is it just me??

Don't forward the attachments as well and this will not happen.  When you are forwarding with the attachments then remove the one that you do not want.

Thanks in advance. 

[/quote][/quote]

Well, as usual, you have saved me. My question #1 obviously relates to an ancient version, hence I've just automatically been making the same manual change for years. I didn't even think to check that the default had been corrected.

As for question #2, it seems much too simple to be correct - but of course it is.

Thank you as always...

[quote user="Thomas R. Stephenson"][quote user="arosner"]<p>Might as well raise my pet peeves in this thread:</p><p>1. When attaching an HTML file, I have to remember to change the encoding to "ASCII file", otherwise it arrives looking like gibberish. Why can't this be done automatically (or can it - do I just change the file association)? </p><p> Just change the file type to HTML-text and/or change the filetype.pm in the program directory to do this for you in "Let the program decide"  FWIW, what version are you using?  This should be a default.  </p><p>2. When forwarding without edit (redirect or "bounce"), all is well. Forwarding with edit, however, adds phantom "attachments" (such as plain text, html) which I presume are different formats of my message. Many recipients are confused, writing back saying "I couldn't open your attachments". I've fiddled with "no styling" and "no rich text" or whatever, to no avail. Is it just me??</p><p> Don't forward the attachments as well and this will not happen.  When you are forwarding with the attachments then remove the one that you do not want.  </p><p>Thanks in advance. </p><p>[/quote][/quote]</p><p>Well, as usual, you have saved me. My question #1 obviously relates to an ancient version, hence I've just automatically been making the same manual change for years. I didn't even think to check that the default had been corrected. </p><p>As for question #2, it seems much too simple to be correct - but of course it is. </p><p>Thank you as always...</p><p> </p>

Forwarding an email that is in html or that has attachments that need

to be forwarded as well works fine if I use forward without editing.

However, I have found no way to forward messages with attachments using

edit or make changes before sending. I understand the problems with

html and forwarding, but if the html with pics or whatever are an

attachment to the original, is there any way to make changes or edit

and keep the attachment intact? Thank you kindly for your help.

Forwarding an email that is in html or that has attachments that need to be forwarded as well works fine if I use forward without editing. However, I have found no way to forward messages with attachments using edit or make changes before sending. I understand the problems with html and forwarding, but if the html with pics or whatever are an attachment to the original, is there any way to make changes or edit and keep the attachment intact? Thank you kindly for your help.

That's strange, because it works for me.  You do need to click the check box that says "Foward any attachments that the message may have as well" and the radio button that says "Edit or make changes to the messages before forwarding them".

<p>That's strange, because it works for me.  You do need to click the check box that says "Foward any attachments that the message may have as well" and the radio button that says "Edit or make changes to the messages before forwarding them".</p><p> </p>

Thank you for your help. Sometimes it helps to get reminded to look at

the whole page. Even though it makes me feel real dumb........

Thank you for your help. Sometimes it helps to get reminded to look at the whole page. Even though it makes me feel real dumb........

1. When attaching an HTML file, I have to remember to change the encoding to "ASCII file", otherwise it arrives looking like gibberish. Why can't this be done automatically (or can it - do I just change the file association)?

2. When forwarding without edit (redirect or "bounce"), all is well. Forwarding with edit, however, adds phantom "attachments" (such as plain text, html) which I presume are different formats of my message. Many recipients are confused, writing back saying "I couldn't open your attachments". I've fiddled with "no styling" and "no rich text" or whatever, to no avail. Is it just me??

Thanks in advance. 

<p>Might as well raise my pet peeves in this thread:</p><p>1. When attaching an HTML file, I have to remember to change the encoding to "ASCII file", otherwise it arrives looking like gibberish. Why can't this be done automatically (or can it - do I just change the file association)? </p><p>2. When forwarding without edit (redirect or "bounce"), all is well. Forwarding with edit, however, adds phantom "attachments" (such as plain text, html) which I presume are different formats of my message. Many recipients are confused, writing back saying "I couldn't open your attachments". I've fiddled with "no styling" and "no rich text" or whatever, to no avail. Is it just me??</p><p>Thanks in advance. </p>

[quote user="arosner"]

Just change the file type to HTML-text and/or change the filetype.pm in the program directory to do this for you in "Let the program decide"  FWIW, what version are you using?  This should be a default.

Don't forward the attachments as well and this will not happen.  When you are forwarding with the attachments then remove the one that you do not want.

Thanks in advance. 

[/quote]
[quote user="arosner"]<p>Might as well raise my pet peeves in this thread:</p><p>1. When attaching an HTML file, I have to remember to change the encoding to "ASCII file", otherwise it arrives looking like gibberish. Why can't this be done automatically (or can it - do I just change the file association)? </p><p> Just change the file type to HTML-text and/or change the filetype.pm in the program directory to do this for you in "Let the program decide"  FWIW, what version are you using?  This should be a default.  </p><p>2. When forwarding without edit (redirect or "bounce"), all is well. Forwarding with edit, however, adds phantom "attachments" (such as plain text, html) which I presume are different formats of my message. Many recipients are confused, writing back saying "I couldn't open your attachments". I've fiddled with "no styling" and "no rich text" or whatever, to no avail. Is it just me??</p><p> Don't forward the attachments as well and this will not happen.  When you are forwarding with the attachments then remove the one that you do not want.  </p><p>Thanks in advance. </p>[/quote]
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft