Community Discussions and Support
message format

Hello! [quote user="Claudio Chehébar"] sometimes, I have problems with message formats. I write a message (using the option Rich Text), and a) in some few cases the receiver sees strange signs interspersed with the words, and b) more often, when somebody makes a reply to me including my text, it comes with all those strange (format) signs [/quote]
Is there any pattern to this behaviour as far as the strange characters themselves are concerned? For example: Does it happen when you have written a message in a certain language (e.g. only in a French-speaking message or so)? Or are certain characters or letters involved (e.g. the EUR-character or German umlauts)?

Can you tell us what caharcter set you have chosen for outgoing messages? Go to "Tools" | "Options" | "General settings" | "Advanced settings" where you can define the "Default MIME character set". (You can read the help file if you want more information on the settings of the character set.)
The setting of "Default MIME character set" is one of those settings you can define separately for each of your identites. So if you have several identites, you should check that setting for each identity.

Is MIME turned on? See at "Tools" | "Options" | "Outgoing mail" | "Messages and replies" -> "Use MIME features" should be turned on (which is highly recommended).

Does it happen only for certain receivers?

These questions may not provide the ideal solution now, but I hope they can narrow the problem, hence make it easier to find the solution.

Hello! [quote user="Claudio Chehébar"] sometimes, I have problems with message formats. I write a message (using the option Rich Text), and a) in some few cases the receiver sees strange signs interspersed with the words, and b) more often, when somebody makes a reply to me including my text, it comes with all those strange (format) signs [/quote] Is there any pattern to this behaviour as far as the strange characters themselves are concerned? For example: Does it happen when you have written a message in a certain language (e.g. only in a French-speaking message or so)? Or are certain characters or letters involved (e.g. the EUR-character or German umlauts)? Can you tell us what caharcter set you have chosen for outgoing messages? Go to "Tools" | "Options" | "General settings" | "Advanced settings" where you can define the "Default MIME character set". (You can read the help file if you want more information on the settings of the character set.) The setting of "Default MIME character set" is one of those settings you can define separately for each of your identites. So if you have several identites, you should check that setting for each identity. Is MIME turned on? See at "Tools" | "Options" | "Outgoing mail" | "Messages and replies" -> "Use MIME features" should be turned on (which is highly recommended). Does it happen only for certain receivers? These questions may not provide the ideal solution now, but I hope they can narrow the problem, hence make it easier to find the solution.

hello,

sometimes, I have problems with message formats. I write a message (using the option Rich Text), and a) in some few cases the receiver sees strange signs interspersed with the words, and b) more often, when somebody makes a reply to me including my text, it comes with all those strange (format) signs

maybe because I use Rich Text?

claudio

<P>hello,</P> <P> sometimes, I have problems with message formats. I write a message (using the option Rich Text), and a) in some few cases the receiver sees strange signs interspersed with the words, and b) more often, when somebody makes a reply to me including my text, it comes with all those strange (format) signs</P> <P> maybe because I use Rich Text?</P> <P> claudio</P>

Yes, it may because you have used "rich text", but also it is likely that you are using a font that your recipient does not have on his/her system.  Either that, or your systems default to two different languages.

<p>Yes, it may because you have used "rich text", but also it is likely that you are using a font that your recipient does not have on his/her system.  Either that, or your systems default to two different languages.  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft