Community Discussions and Support
Can't get Merury to work with XAMPP installation

[quote user="PlayWithFire"]

I am very new to the world of PHP development, but at work i was given a task to bring a PHP application online. The application was developed on the outside, and seems to work, but i can't configure the SMTP server to work.

I'll be honest, i am not even sure where to begin troubleshooting it, but when i am trying to send e-mails, i get an error saying that PHP cannot connect to the mail server.

When i am in Mercury/32 application, and i try to send mail from there, the SMTP client is unable to resolve the name. So, i used OpenDNS in the SMTP client configuration, and it was able to resolve the name, but it just comes up with "Connection Error" and "Connection error on alternative"

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

[/quote]

This is not really a PHP problem at all, yuo must first install the correct modules and verify that Mercury/32 is operational.  The very first step is to use Start | Run telnet 127.0.0.1 25 to verify that Mercury/32 MercuryS is up on your system and running on port 25 and can receive the mail.  Until this works all else is a waste of time.

Personally I would install v4.51 over the v4.01 that comes with XAMPP and setup the Mercury/32 server. 

[quote user="PlayWithFire"]<p>I am very new to the world of PHP development, but at work i was given a task to bring a PHP application online. The application was developed on the outside, and seems to work, but i can't configure the SMTP server to work. </p><p>I'll be honest, i am not even sure where to begin troubleshooting it, but when i am trying to send e-mails, i get an error saying that PHP cannot connect to the mail server. </p><p> When i am in Mercury/32 application, and i try to send mail from there, the SMTP client is unable to resolve the name. So, i used OpenDNS in the SMTP client configuration, and it was able to resolve the name, but it just comes up with "Connection Error" and "Connection error on alternative"</p><p> Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!  </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>This is not really a PHP problem at all, yuo must first install the correct modules and verify that Mercury/32 is operational.  The very first step is to use Start | Run telnet 127.0.0.1 25 to verify that Mercury/32 MercuryS is up on your system and running on port 25 and can receive the mail.  Until this works all else is a waste of time.</p><p> </p><p>Personally I would install v4.51 over the v4.01 that comes with XAMPP and setup the Mercury/32 server. </p><p> </p>

I am very new to the world of PHP development, but at work i was given a task to bring a PHP application online. The application was developed on the outside, and seems to work, but i can't configure the SMTP server to work.

I'll be honest, i am not even sure where to begin troubleshooting it, but when i am trying to send e-mails, i get an error saying that PHP cannot connect to the mail server.

When i am in Mercury/32 application, and i try to send mail from there, the SMTP client is unable to resolve the name. So, i used OpenDNS in the SMTP client configuration, and it was able to resolve the name, but it just comes up with "Connection Error" and "Connection error on alternative"

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

<p>I am very new to the world of PHP development, but at work i was given a task to bring a PHP application online. The application was developed on the outside, and seems to work, but i can't configure the SMTP server to work. </p><p>I'll be honest, i am not even sure where to begin troubleshooting it, but when i am trying to send e-mails, i get an error saying that PHP cannot connect to the mail server. </p><p> When i am in Mercury/32 application, and i try to send mail from there, the SMTP client is unable to resolve the name. So, i used OpenDNS in the SMTP client configuration, and it was able to resolve the name, but it just comes up with "Connection Error" and "Connection error on alternative"</p><p> Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft