Community Discussions and Support
Crypted Passwords

Today the Mercury GUI is tightly integrated with the operating core. When running services you need to unhook a GUI from direct screen calls (such as status windows etc). When David separates the GUI from the core process, there will be methods to create users, aliases, passwords, do restarts, etc by means of hooks into the core, through an API or similar means. Then it is easier to create whatever admin interface that interacts with the core through standardized calls.

The storage of domains etc, is to make it possible to have multiple installations of Mercury, and multiple domains. Today Mercury is based on a flat structure, but domains and users and aliases actually create a hierarchical structure. We have it organized this way today, but I never made a public software for it. A relational sql-database is perfect for this type of structure. Then it is very little effort to take the info to the flat file structure that Mercury is based on.

<P>Today the Mercury GUI is tightly integrated with the operating core. When running services you need to unhook a GUI from direct screen calls (such as status windows etc). When David separates the GUI from the core process, there will be methods to create users, aliases, passwords, do restarts, etc by means of hooks into the core, through an API or similar means. Then it is easier to create whatever admin interface that interacts with the core through standardized calls.</P> <P>The storage of domains etc, is to make it possible to have multiple installations of Mercury, and multiple domains. Today Mercury is based on a flat structure, but domains and users and aliases actually create a hierarchical structure. We have it organized this way today, but I never made a public software for it. A relational sql-database is perfect for this type of structure. Then it is very little effort to take the info to the flat file structure that Mercury is based on.</P>

Hi,

its able to using crypted password instead the plain-text passwords ? For Example md5 encryption? and its able to use a sql database for user accounts and smpt-auth ? for managing users easier ? because i would use the same user and password  for smtp auth and i don't like to edit the smtp-auth file manually.

Kind Regards, Heini_net

<P>Hi,</P> <P> its able to using crypted password instead the plain-text passwords ? For Example md5 encryption? and its able to use a sql database for user accounts and smpt-auth ? for managing users easier ? because i would use the same user and password  for smtp auth and i don't like to edit the smtp-auth file manually.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>Kind Regards, Heini_net</P>

[quote user="Heini_net"]

Hi,

its able to using crypted password instead the plain-text passwords ? For Example md5 encryption? and its able to use a sql database for user accounts and smpt-auth ? for managing users easier ? because i would use the same user and password  for smtp auth and i don't like to edit the smtp-auth file manually.

Kind Regards, Heini_net

[/quote]

Sorry, but for all three questions the answer is: NO.

[quote user="Heini_net"]<p>Hi,</p> <p> its able to using crypted password instead the plain-text passwords ? For Example md5 encryption? and its able to use a sql database for user accounts and smpt-auth ? for managing users easier ? because i would use the same user and password  for smtp auth and i don't like to edit the smtp-auth file manually.</p> <p mce_keep="true"> </p> <p>Kind Regards, Heini_net</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Sorry, but for all three questions the answer is: NO.</p><p> </p><p> </p>

In an upcoming collaboration project we are a few who will work on a webadmin gui for Mercury - we will most likely use SQL-Express as storage of user accounts, domains, passwords etc. This undertaking might ease moving Mercury/32 to a native windows service.

In an upcoming collaboration project we are a few who will work on a webadmin gui for Mercury - we will most likely use SQL-Express as storage of user accounts, domains, passwords etc. This undertaking might ease moving Mercury/32 to a native windows service.

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]In an upcoming collaboration project we are a few who will work on a webadmin gui for Mercury - we will most likely use SQL-Express as storage of user accounts, domains, passwords etc. This undertaking might ease moving Mercury/32 to a native windows service.[/quote]

Peter,

could you explain in more detail, what those two tings ("use SQL-Express as storage of user accounts, domains, passwords etc" and "ease moving Mercury/32 to a native windows service") have in common?

Thank you!

<p>[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]In an upcoming collaboration project we are a few who will work on a webadmin gui for Mercury - we will most likely use SQL-Express as storage of user accounts, domains, passwords etc. This undertaking might ease moving Mercury/32 to a native windows service.[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Peter,</p><p> </p><p>could you explain in more detail, what those two tings ("use SQL-Express as storage of user accounts, domains, passwords etc" and "ease moving Mercury/32 to a native windows service") have in common?</p><p> </p><p>Thank you!</p><p> </p><p> </p>

The use of SQL Express or a similar database handler could be nice for big installations of Mercury, but I believe "This undertaking" refers to the creation of a webadmin GUI rather than the storage method used by that GUI.

/Rolf 

<p>The use of SQL Express or a similar database handler could be nice for big installations of Mercury, but I believe "This undertaking" refers to the creation of a webadmin GUI rather than the storage method used by that GUI. </p><p>/Rolf </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft