Community Discussions and Support
Can I install 4.51 as update over 4.01b ?

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]

We have the same problem, so whenever there is a new version (as a tester there can be a few) I backup the server directory, not the queues, and the pmail.usr file - rest is left alone. Then I shut down the mercury server I'm about to upgrade, check that it is unloaded using both task manager, and file open check - then do any upgrades. It takes less than 2 minutes. Only very few users will see a pop3 connection error due to the upgrade. Normally I do it at 12:20 since most people then are at lunch, whether at home or at the office.

[/quote]

2 minutes sounds very good. Compared to the time, that the regular Windows updates needs, this is really a short time.

I think, the POP3 connection dropouts are not the problem. The only problem I had in the past concerned IMAP connections. Because we work in Netware mode, the users mailboxes are not located on the server where mercury is running. Sometimes we got destroyed folders or hierarchies, when an user is connected by IMAP and I shut down Mercury. It seems that this happens when the user is accessing to a folder in the same moment (moving or deleting mails)

That's why I will do the upgrade today in the evening - on Friday evenings most of the people are watching TV [:D] 

Best regards
Thomas

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"] <p>We have the same problem, so whenever there is a new version (as a tester there can be a few) I backup the server directory, not the queues, and the pmail.usr file - rest is left alone. Then I shut down the mercury server I'm about to upgrade, check that it is unloaded using both task manager, and file open check - then do any upgrades. It takes less than 2 minutes. Only very few users will see a pop3 connection error due to the upgrade. Normally I do it at 12:20 since most people then are at lunch, whether at home or at the office.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p>2 minutes sounds very good. Compared to the time, that the regular Windows updates needs, this is really a short time.</p><p>I think, the POP3 connection dropouts are not the problem. The only problem I had in the past concerned IMAP connections. Because we work in Netware mode, the users mailboxes are not located on the server where mercury is running. Sometimes we got destroyed folders or hierarchies, when an user is connected by IMAP and I shut down Mercury. It seems that this happens when the user is accessing to a folder in the same moment (moving or deleting mails)</p><p>That's why I will do the upgrade today in the evening - on Friday evenings most of the people are watching TV [:D] </p><p>Best regards Thomas  </p>

Currently I use Mercury/W32 v4.01b in Netware NDS mode and I want to upgrade it to v4.51.

Can I install 4.51 as update in the same directory where the old 4.01b is running ? And will the v4.51 take over the settings from v4.01b (including the SpamHalter settings)?

Or have I to do a new installation and adjust all settings manually ? 

Sorry for these simple questions, but I can't find anything about this in the manuals.

Thanks for the help ! 

Thomas 

<p>Currently I use Mercury/W32 v4.01b in Netware NDS mode and I want to upgrade it to v4.51.</p><p>Can I install 4.51 as update in the same directory where the old 4.01b is running ? And will the v4.51 take over the settings from v4.01b (including the SpamHalter settings)?</p><p>Or have I to do a new installation and adjust all settings manually ? </p><p>Sorry for these simple questions, but I can't find anything about this in the manuals.</p><p> </p><p>Thanks for the help ! </p><p>Thomas </p>

Hi,

ich denke schon, dass es möglich ist, jedoch muss Mercury dazu beendet werden, weil u.a. die *.exe Dateien ausgewechselt werden.

I Think it's able but you must shut down Mercury for updating the Files.

<P>Hi, </P> <P> ich denke schon, dass es möglich ist, jedoch muss Mercury dazu beendet werden, weil u.a. die *.exe Dateien ausgewechselt werden.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P> <P>I Think it's able but you must shut down Mercury for updating the Files.</P>

Ok, thanks.

Let me reword my question to those, who have installed v4.51 over the v4.01:

1. Did this upgrade installation caused any problems ?

2. Were all settings correctly taken over in the new installation ?

Thanks

Thomas

<p>Ok, thanks.</p><p>Let me reword my question to those, who have installed v4.51 over the v4.01:</p><p>1. Did this upgrade installation caused any problems ?</p><p>2. Were all settings correctly taken over in the new installation ?</p><p>  Thanks</p><p>Thomas  </p>

[quote user="Thomas Richter"] 1. Did this upgrade installation caused any problems ?[/quote]

No. Make sure your copy of Mercury is not running when you do the upgrade.

[quote user="Thomas Richter"] 2. Were all settings correctly taken over in the new installation ?[/quote]

Yes, but you should as habit always make a backup before upgrading any mission critical systems.

<P>[quote user="Thomas Richter"] 1. Did this upgrade installation caused any problems ?[/quote]</P> <P>No. Make sure your copy of Mercury is not running when you do the upgrade.</P> <P>[quote user="Thomas Richter"] 2. Were all settings correctly taken over in the new installation ?[/quote]</P> <P>Yes, but you should as habit always make a backup before upgrading any mission critical systems.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"]

No. Make sure your copy of Mercury is not running when you do the upgrade.

Yes, but you should as habit always make a backup before upgrading any mission critical systems.

[/quote]

Of course I'll make a backup before and stop Mercury. [:)]

My only problem would be, if I would need 3 or 4 hours to reconfigure Mercury after the upgrade. It's because some of my users think, they need access to their mailboxes 24 hours arround the clock ...

Thanks
Thomas

[quote user="Peter Strömblad"] <p>No. Make sure your copy of Mercury is not running when you do the upgrade.</p> <p>Yes, but you should as habit always make a backup before upgrading any mission critical systems.</p> <p>[/quote]</p><p>Of course I'll make a backup before and stop Mercury. [:)]</p><p>My only problem would be, if I would need 3 or 4 hours to reconfigure Mercury after the upgrade. It's because some of my users think, they need access to their mailboxes 24 hours arround the clock ...</p><p>Thanks Thomas  </p>

hm if your Mailserver always busy so you must make the Update in the Midnight at Weekend [:D]

hm if your Mailserver always busy so you must make the Update in the Midnight at Weekend [:D]

[quote user="Thomas Richter"]My only problem would be, if I would need 3 or 4 hours to reconfigure Mercury after the upgrade. It's because some of my users think, they need access to their mailboxes 24 hours arround the clock ...[/quote]

We have the same problem, so whenever there is a new version (as a tester there can be a few) I backup the server directory, not the queues, and the pmail.usr file - rest is left alone. Then I shut down the mercury server I'm about to upgrade, check that it is unloaded using both task manager, and file open check - then do any upgrades. It takes less than 2 minutes. Only very few users will see a pop3 connection error due to the upgrade. Normally I do it at 12:20 since most people then are at lunch, whether at home or at the office.

<P>[quote user="Thomas Richter"]My only problem would be, if I would need 3 or 4 hours to reconfigure Mercury after the upgrade. It's because some of my users think, they need access to their mailboxes 24 hours arround the clock ...[/quote]</P> <P>We have the same problem, so whenever there is a new version (as a tester there can be a few) I backup the server directory, not the queues, and the pmail.usr file - rest is left alone. Then I shut down the mercury server I'm about to upgrade, check that it is unloaded using both task manager, and file open check - then do any upgrades. It takes less than 2 minutes. Only very few users will see a pop3 connection error due to the upgrade. Normally I do it at 12:20 since most people then are at lunch, whether at home or at the office.</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft