Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus crashes when printing

The MS error reporting window appears. There are no firewall issues, the entire IP range on the LAN is trusted and allowed by the firewall, and there are no issues printing to other shared printers from any other applications. It would seem to be limited to Pegasus Mail.

The MS error reporting window appears. There are no firewall issues, the entire IP range on the LAN is trusted and allowed by the firewall, and there are no issues printing to other shared printers from any other applications. It would seem to be limited to Pegasus Mail.

Greetings

Pegasus Mail 4.41 is installed on several WinXP Pro SP2 machines. All mailboxes are stored on a NAS server.

I have an issue where printing to a specific printers causes Pegasus Mail to crash. The printer is a brand new HP Color Laserjet 1600 and is connected to a WinXP Pro SP2 client and shared. Printing from Pegasus Mail on the PC to which the printer is attached is always successful. Printing from Pegasus Mail from a client where the same printer is mapped always fails. It fails regardless of whether the 1600 is the default or the specific printer.

I have tried renaming the pmail.ini file (both locally and on the NAS) to clear the printer settings, uninstalling/reinstalling Pegasus Mail (including shift+deleting the Pegasus Mail folder C:\PMAIL after 'uninstallation'), deleting and reinstalling the HP LJ1600.

The driver for the 1600 available from HP's support site is the same as the one which ships on the CD, so the latest printer driver is being used.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

<P>Greetings</P> <P>Pegasus Mail 4.41 is installed on several WinXP Pro SP2 machines. All mailboxes are stored on a NAS server.</P> <P>I have an issue where printing to a specific printers causes Pegasus Mail to crash. The printer is a brand new HP Color Laserjet 1600 and is connected to a WinXP Pro SP2 client and shared. Printing from Pegasus Mail on the PC to which the printer is attached is always successful. Printing from Pegasus Mail from a client where the same printer is mapped always fails. It fails regardless of whether the 1600 is the default or the specific printer.</P> <P>I have tried renaming the pmail.ini file (both locally and on the NAS) to clear the printer settings, uninstalling/reinstalling Pegasus Mail (including shift+deleting the Pegasus Mail folder C:\PMAIL after 'uninstallation'), deleting and reinstalling the HP LJ1600.</P> <P>The driver for the 1600 available from HP's support site is the same as the one which ships on the CD, so the latest printer driver is being used.</P> <P> Does anyone have any ideas please?</P>

I've not had this sort of problem with PM.  I take it there are no other problems using this printer over the network?

What OS is running on the computers involved.  Have you experimented to see if it works when connected to a different machine?

<P>I've not had this sort of problem with PM.  I take it there are no other problems using this printer over the network?</P> <P>What OS is running on the computers involved.  Have you experimented to see if it works when connected to a different machine?</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

I have sometimes seen a problem with HP printers and remote printing which was cured by turning off bidirectional communications in the printer driver.  My problems principally involved printing with remote linux clients, but it's worth a shot to try turning off bidirectional communications.

<p>I have sometimes seen a problem with HP printers and remote printing which was cured by turning off bidirectional communications in the printer driver.  My problems principally involved printing with remote linux clients, but it's worth a shot to try turning off bidirectional communications.  </p>

Hi Folks

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

All the clients are WinXP Pro SP2. The problem occurs when trying to print from Pegasus on any of them. Other applications have no problem using the same printer.

I am reluctant to turn off bi-directional as this will reduce the functionality of the HP services offered to the people who use the PC's.

Thanks again.

Edit:

Unfortunately, we cannot move it to another machine. The previous printer that connected to this PC (an HP5k) was connected the same way and worked fine.

<P>Hi Folks</P> <P>Thanks a lot for the suggestions.</P> <P>All the clients are WinXP Pro SP2. The problem occurs when trying to print from Pegasus on any of them. Other applications have no problem using the same printer.</P> <P>I am reluctant to turn off bi-directional as this will reduce the functionality of the HP services offered to the people who use the PC's.</P> <P>Thanks again.</P> <P>Edit:</P> <P>Unfortunately, we cannot move it to another machine. The previous printer that connected to this PC (an HP5k) was connected the same way and worked fine.</P>

[quote user="Greenman"]

Hi Folks

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

All the clients are WinXP Pro SP2. The problem occurs when trying to print from Pegasus on any of them. Other applications have no problem using the same printer.

I am reluctant to turn off bi-directional as this will reduce the functionality of the HP services offered to the people who use the PC's.

Thanks again.

Edit:

Unfortunately, we cannot move it to another machine. The previous printer that connected to this PC (an HP5k) was connected the same way and worked fine.

[/quote]

Not at all sure this is a bi-directional problem since I've never had a problem with printing to any of the HP bi-directional printers.  I suspect through that there may be some sort of printer driver problem since I did have problems with the HP Color LaserJet until I finally got it properly attached and setup.  I definitely had to run the software setup on each system then then checkout all of the settings via the IP connection before it would work reliably with all apps. 

[quote user="Greenman"]<p>Hi Folks</p> <p>Thanks a lot for the suggestions.</p> <p>All the clients are WinXP Pro SP2. The problem occurs when trying to print from Pegasus on any of them. Other applications have no problem using the same printer.</p> <p>I am reluctant to turn off bi-directional as this will reduce the functionality of the HP services offered to the people who use the PC's.</p> <p>Thanks again.</p> <p>Edit:</p> <p>Unfortunately, we cannot move it to another machine. The previous printer that connected to this PC (an HP5k) was connected the same way and worked fine.</p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Not at all sure this is a bi-directional problem since I've never had a problem with printing to any of the HP bi-directional printers.  I suspect through that there may be some sort of printer driver problem since I did have problems with the HP Color LaserJet until I finally got it properly attached and setup.  I definitely had to run the software setup on each system then then checkout all of the settings via the IP connection before it would work reliably with all apps.  </p>

Hello

It would help us if you describe what actually happens during the crash, ie do you get the Microsoft invitation to send a report, or Pegasus Mail "goes away" without announcement.  It sounds more like you have a network/firewall problem, as you state that a locally attached printer works fine. In this case the application and driver are in harmony. What changes? Can you print on any other network supplied printer?

Martin 

<p>Hello</p><p>It would help us if you describe what actually happens during the crash, ie do you get the Microsoft invitation to send a report, or Pegasus Mail "goes away" without announcement.  It sounds more like you have a network/firewall problem, as you state that a locally attached printer works fine. In this case the application and driver are in harmony. What changes? Can you print on any other network supplied printer?</p><p> </p><p>Martin </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft