Community Discussions and Support
Merge Pegasus from two Computers

Thank You!!

To all who responded so magnificently, I appreciate the input and advice.

In the end, I burned a couple of DVDs, created a new folder via the Add Mailbox to List then dragged all emails to their respective folders. The only downside to the exercise?  Two minor hassles, the new linked folder lost all its subdirectories so I had to recreate new ones then drag the respective emails to their new home, which highlighted the fact that I could not drag a folder from the importing location. Otherwise a nice fix.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and have a sensational day:-)

<p><b>Thank You!!</b></p><p>To all who responded so magnificently, I appreciate the input and advice.</p><p>In the end, I burned a couple of DVDs, created a new folder via the Add Mailbox to List then dragged all emails to their respective folders. The only downside to the exercise?  Two minor hassles, the new linked folder lost all its subdirectories so I had to recreate new ones then drag the respective emails to their new home, which highlighted the fact that I could not drag a folder from the importing location. Otherwise a nice fix.</p><p>Thanks again for all the suggestions and have a sensational day:-)</p><p> </p>

Following a recent HD crash and corrupted backup I'm rebuilding my Pegasus files dating back to the mid 90's. (Ouch!!!!)

I do run a very similar (but not identical) file/directory structure for Pegasus at home and office with 90% similarity.

I've attempted to merge data from both locations however I lose the sub/directory structure. Please note the data is not a duplicate eg I may have a directory for FRED and email from FRED received during the day is held on the office comp while email received from FRED after hours is obviously captured on the home comp.

What I would like to achieve is a merge of all home/office emails into the directory structure. Possible? If not, what method should I employ to at least achieve a high level of combination of the two computers?

Thanks in advance. 

<p>Following a recent HD crash and corrupted backup I'm rebuilding my Pegasus files dating back to the mid 90's. (Ouch!!!!)</p><p> I do run a very similar (but not identical) file/directory structure for Pegasus at home and office with 90% similarity.</p><p>I've attempted to merge data from both locations however I lose the sub/directory structure. Please note the data is not a duplicate eg I may have a directory for FRED and email from FRED received during the day is held on the office comp while email received from FRED after hours is obviously captured on the home comp. </p><p>What I would like to achieve is a merge of all home/office emails into the directory structure. Possible? If not, what method should I employ to at least achieve a high level of combination of the two computers?</p><p>Thanks in advance. </p><p>  </p><p> </p>

[quote user="BMS"]

Following a recent HD crash and corrupted backup I'm rebuilding my Pegasus files dating back to the mid 90's. (Ouch!!!!)

I do run a very similar (but not identical) file/directory structure for Pegasus at home and office with 90% similarity.

I've attempted to merge data from both locations however I lose the sub/directory structure. Please note the data is not a duplicate eg I may have a directory for FRED and email from FRED received during the day is held on the office comp while email received from FRED after hours is obviously captured on the home comp.

What I would like to achieve is a merge of all home/office emails into the directory structure. Possible? If not, what method should I employ to at least achieve a high level of combination of the two computers?

Thanks in advance. 

[/quote]

Can you network the two machines, by VPN or otherwise?  If so you could close the remote Pegasus (to prevent corruption, this is important) and use the local Pegasus's  "Folders\Add Mailbox to List..." feature.  Give it a UNC path to the remote mailbox (e.g., \\host_or_IP\share\path\mailbox_folder).  All the mail folders of the remote machine will appear as a tree under a root with a name chosen by you.  You can then move mail among the folders of both machines.  It can be slow, especially remotely checking folder consistency and compressing.  Application of rules can slow it down even further so you might temporarily disable them.

I just tried it.  Remotely compressing a folder is extremely slow.  If that can be turned off, I'd recommend it.  All I did was move one email from the remote "deleted" folder to the local "deleted" folder.  When I closed the remote folder, the compression took about 15 minutes.  Maybe you should wait for comments from David Harris before trying this strategy.

- Vince 

[quote user="BMS"]<p>Following a recent HD crash and corrupted backup I'm rebuilding my Pegasus files dating back to the mid 90's. (Ouch!!!!)</p><p> I do run a very similar (but not identical) file/directory structure for Pegasus at home and office with 90% similarity.</p><p>I've attempted to merge data from both locations however I lose the sub/directory structure. Please note the data is not a duplicate eg I may have a directory for FRED and email from FRED received during the day is held on the office comp while email received from FRED after hours is obviously captured on the home comp. </p><p>What I would like to achieve is a merge of all home/office emails into the directory structure. Possible? If not, what method should I employ to at least achieve a high level of combination of the two computers?</p><p>Thanks in advance. </p><p> [/quote]</p><p>Can you network the two machines, by VPN or otherwise?  If so you could close the remote Pegasus (to prevent corruption, this is important) and use the local Pegasus's  "Folders\Add Mailbox to List..." feature.  Give it a UNC path to the remote mailbox (e.g., \\host_or_IP\share\path\mailbox_folder).  All the mail folders of the remote machine will appear as a tree under a root with a name chosen by you.  You can then move mail among the folders of both machines.  It can be slow, especially remotely checking folder consistency and compressing.  Application of rules can slow it down even further so you might temporarily disable them.</p><p>I just tried it.  Remotely compressing a folder is extremely slow.  If that can be turned off, I'd recommend it.  All I did was move one email from the remote "deleted" folder to the local "deleted" folder.  When I closed the remote folder, the compression took about 15 minutes.  Maybe you should wait for comments from David Harris before trying this strategy. </p><p>  - Vince </p>

The easiest way to merge messages in Pmail is to first convert them to individual files.

Method 1.
Create PUBLIC folders in both instances of Pmail.  Move the messages you want to merge/transfer into the public folder on the "from" system -- they will be converted to individual files with a .CNR extension.  Then, copy those files to the public folder on the other system.  Then, move these files to the folders where you want them to end up -- they will be merged in with the messages already there (in .PMI/.PMM files).

Method 2.
An alternative is to use the New Mail folders on each system using .CNM files, but that can cause complications if you have active "new mail" filters.

<p>The easiest way to merge messages in Pmail is to first convert them to individual files.</p><p>Method 1. Create PUBLIC folders in both instances of Pmail.  Move the messages you want to merge/transfer into the public folder on the "from" system -- they will be converted to individual files with a .CNR extension.  Then, copy those files to the public folder on the other system.  Then, move these files to the folders where you want them to end up -- they will be merged in with the messages already there (in .PMI/.PMM files).</p><p>Method 2. An alternative is to use the New Mail folders on each system using .CNM files, but that can cause complications if you have active "new mail" filters. </p>

[quote user="BMS"]

Thanks in advance. 

[/quote]

Personally, what I would do is copy the office HOME mail directory to a CDROM and then copy it to a directory on the hose system.  You can then do the "Add mailbox to list" to have both available at the same time.  You can then copy from the office folders to the home folders or simply leave them where they are.

[quote user="BMS"]<p>Following a recent HD crash and corrupted backup I'm rebuilding my Pegasus files dating back to the mid 90's. (Ouch!!!!)</p><p> I do run a very similar (but not identical) file/directory structure for Pegasus at home and office with 90% similarity.</p><p>I've attempted to merge data from both locations however I lose the sub/directory structure. Please note the data is not a duplicate eg I may have a directory for FRED and email from FRED received during the day is held on the office comp while email received from FRED after hours is obviously captured on the home comp. </p><p>What I would like to achieve is a merge of all home/office emails into the directory structure. Possible? If not, what method should I employ to at least achieve a high level of combination of the two computers?</p><p>Thanks in advance. </p><p>  </p><p> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Personally, what I would do is copy the office HOME mail directory to a CDROM and then copy it to a directory on the hose system.  You can then do the "Add mailbox to list" to have both available at the same time.  You can then copy from the office folders to the home folders or simply leave them where they are. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft