Community Discussions and Support
Help - Pegasus Mail POP3 works, SMTP doesn't with GoDaddy e-mail

David,

This same issue happened to me after I installed Adobe Photoshop CS3.  Uninstalling it removes the problem.  So do you have any ideas on what Adobe Products could be altering that causes the block on GoDaddy.  I have Comcast email accounts as well and Pegasus has no problem connecting and sending through them.

Thanks,

Davis

<p>David,</p><p>This same issue happened to me after I installed Adobe Photoshop CS3.  Uninstalling it removes the problem.  So do you have any ideas on what Adobe Products could be altering that causes the block on GoDaddy.  I have Comcast email accounts as well and Pegasus has no problem connecting and sending through them.</p><p> </p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Davis</p>

I have a domain hosted by GoDaddy.com, and an e-mail on the domain.  My internet connection is a DSL account through SBCYahoo.  I just upgraded to Pegasus Mail 4.41 but it doesn't...  For this example, say my domain is aaaa.com.  Say I have an e-mail kling@aaaa.com, with password zzzz.  On the network configuration screen:

- On the "General" tab, I have kling@aaaa.com in as the e-mail address (and 30 seconds as the timeout)

- On the 'Receiving (POP3)" tab, my POP3 settings would be Server host name: pop.secureserver.net, with user name kling@aaaa.com and password zzzz, and everything else is the default.

- On the"Sending (SMTP)" tab, my Server host name is: smtpout.secureserver.net, and everything else is the default

Result: When I click the "Check your POP3 host for new mail", it works fine - my mail downloads and is deleted from the host.  When I click the "Send all queued mail", on the status bar I see "SMTP: Connecting to smtpout.secureserver.net"  After a few seconds, I get a pop up dialog that says this occurred: "15: Peer connect failure (the host has refused the connection)."

I sent a tech support email to GoDaddy, the only thing they said was to 1) "Please note that the use of our outgoing mail server (SMTP) requires that you

'Activate' the 'SMTP Relay' option of the email account" (which I've done), and 2) Set the "Outgoing Mail Server" to "Requires Authentication".  Have no idea how to do that in Pegasus Mail.

I'm pretty sure it's not a UserID/Password issue or I wouldn't be able to receive my POP3 e-mail; I figure there's a buried setting somewhere I need to set.  Any ideas?

<p>I have a domain hosted by GoDaddy.com, and an e-mail on the domain.  My internet connection is a DSL account through SBCYahoo.  I just upgraded to Pegasus Mail 4.41 but it doesn't...  For this example, say my domain is aaaa.com.  Say I have an e-mail kling@aaaa.com, with password zzzz.  On the network configuration screen:</p><p>- On the "General" tab, I have kling@aaaa.com in as the e-mail address (and 30 seconds as the timeout)</p><p>- On the 'Receiving (POP3)" tab, my POP3 settings would be Server host name: pop.secureserver.net, with user name kling@aaaa.com and password zzzz, and everything else is the default. </p><p>- On the"Sending (SMTP)" tab, my Server host name is: smtpout.secureserver.net, and everything else is the default</p><p>Result: When I click the "Check your POP3 host for new mail", it works fine - my mail downloads and is deleted from the host.  When I click the "Send all queued mail", on the status bar I see "SMTP: Connecting to smtpout.secureserver.net"  After a few seconds, I get a pop up dialog that says this occurred: "15: Peer connect failure (the host has refused the connection)."</p><p>I sent a tech support email to GoDaddy, the only thing they said was to 1) "Please note that the use of our outgoing mail server (SMTP) requires that you 'Activate' the 'SMTP Relay' option of the email account" (which I've done), and 2) Set the "Outgoing Mail Server" to "Requires Authentication".  Have no idea how to do that in Pegasus Mail.</p><p>I'm pretty sure it's not a UserID/Password issue or I wouldn't be able to receive my POP3 e-mail; I figure there's a buried setting somewhere I need to set.  Any ideas?  </p><p> </p>

[quote user="kling"]I sent a tech support email to GoDaddy, the only thing they said was to 1) "Please note that the use of our outgoing mail server (SMTP) requires that you 'Activate' the 'SMTP Relay' option of the email account" (which I've done), and 2) Set the "Outgoing Mail Server" to "Requires Authentication".  Have no idea how to do that in Pegasus Mail.[/quote]

Go to the second tab of the SMTP config (marked Security) and at the bottom you will find 3 ways of authenticating.  I would try the last one (log in using POP3..) and select the entry you use for downloading.

[quote]I'm pretty sure it's not a UserID/Password issue or I wouldn't be able to receive my POP3 e-mail; I figure there's a buried setting somewhere I need to set.  Any ideas?[/quote]

It's quite usual for them to need a user/password from you to prevent unwanted relaying.  Different hosts do it in different ways.

<P>[quote user="kling"]I sent a tech support email to GoDaddy, the only thing they said was to 1) "Please note that the use of our outgoing mail server (SMTP) requires that you 'Activate' the 'SMTP Relay' option of the email account" (which I've done), and 2) Set the "Outgoing Mail Server" to "Requires Authentication".  Have no idea how to do that in Pegasus Mail.[/quote]</P> <P>Go to the second tab of the SMTP config (marked Security) and at the bottom you will find 3 ways of authenticating.  I would try the last one (log in using POP3..) and select the entry you use for downloading.</P> <P>[quote]I'm pretty sure it's not a UserID/Password issue or I wouldn't be able to receive my POP3 e-mail; I figure there's a buried setting somewhere I need to set.  Any ideas?[/quote]</P> <P>It's quite usual for them to need a user/password from you to prevent unwanted relaying.  Different hosts do it in different ways.</P>

I'll try the alternate security settings (I did try one of them already before posting, no joy).  But I'm already providing the same User ID/password to them as in my POP3 settings in the SMTP settings; I'm pretty sure they don't require a different UID/PWD.  Plus I've enabled 250 relays on the account, so even if they did something to prevent spam that way, it should still at least send the first 250 through just fine...

I'll try the alternate security settings (I did try one of them already before posting, no joy).  But I'm already providing the same User ID/password to them as in my POP3 settings in the SMTP settings; I'm pretty sure they don't require a different UID/PWD.  Plus I've enabled 250 relays on the account, so even if they did something to prevent spam that way, it should still at least send the first 250 through just fine...

This isn't an authentication issue. "Peer connect failure" means that the remote host has refused to accept the connection - no data has been exchanged at the time the rejection occurs.

This means either that there is something the godaddy server doesn't like about your IP address or the port on which you're trying to connect (which are pretty much the only identifiable characteristics available to it at the connection phase), or that some device between you and godaddy has a routing problem of some kind.

First thing to check: make sure that they are actually accepting connections on port 25 - it may be that they require direct SSL connections to an alternate port. (you can control this in Pegasus Mail using the options on the "Security" page of the SMTP definition editor).

After that, make sure that there aren't any issues with your IP address, and try resetting your ADSL modem (or whatever).

This isn't a Pegasus Mail issue - it's happening at a level below Pegasus Mail, and not as a result of any information the program is trying to present to godaddy.

Cheers!

-- David --

This isn't an authentication issue. "Peer connect failure" means that the remote host has refused to accept the connection - no data has been exchanged at the time the rejection occurs. This means either that there is something the godaddy server doesn't like about your IP address or the port on which you're trying to connect (which are pretty much the only identifiable characteristics available to it at the connection phase), or that some device between you and godaddy has a routing problem of some kind. First thing to check: make sure that they are actually accepting connections on port 25 - it may be that they require direct SSL connections to an alternate port. (you can control this in Pegasus Mail using the options on the "Security" page of the SMTP definition editor). After that, make sure that there aren't any issues with your IP address, and try resetting your ADSL modem (or whatever). This isn't a Pegasus Mail issue - it's happening at a level below Pegasus Mail, and not as a result of any information the program is trying to present to godaddy. Cheers! -- David --
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft