Community Discussions and Support
Default folder(s) for 64 bit install

[quote user="denniss"]

Thus far after a couple weeks of use there have been no error messages or other hiccups to imply anything's going wrong. How will I know, if there is?

[/quote]

Post a copy of the output of the Help, About, Info button display here from the machine in question now. It seems you may not actually be running that copy on that machine but instead the copy on the server machine.  What is the actual command line or target line from the icon properties used to run Pegasus Mail? The new machine may only need and icon on it with nothing actually stored/written there.

Could you send me offline a copy of the old pmserver.txt file? I don't remember the setup and steps from that file thouigh I have seen it years ago.

You had asked about and used PCONFIG so we need to know what drive and what locations are actually being set there and also in the Gateway definition created with it so we would need to see both pmail.cfg and pmgate.sys file or their display output. If nothing is being saved or written to anything other than temp space on the new machine that would explain why no error messages and why it is working for you properly on the new machine.

[quote user="denniss"]<p>Thus far after a couple weeks of use there have been no error messages or other hiccups to imply anything's going wrong. How will I know, if there is?</p><p> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Post a copy of the output of the Help, About, Info button display here from the machine in question now. It seems you may not actually be running that copy on that machine but instead the copy on the server machine.  What is the actual command line or target line from the icon properties used to run Pegasus Mail? The new machine may only need and icon on it with nothing actually stored/written there.</p><p>Could you send me offline a copy of the old pmserver.txt file? I don't remember the setup and steps from that file thouigh I have seen it years ago.</p><p>You had asked about and used PCONFIG so we need to know what drive and what locations are actually being set there and also in the Gateway definition created with it so we would need to see both pmail.cfg and pmgate.sys file or their display output. If nothing is being saved or written to anything other than temp space on the new machine that would explain why no error messages and why it is working for you properly on the new machine. </p>

OK, this topic or issue has been discussed a lot here in the forum. I've spent several hours browsing through a lot of posts related to it. In every case, that I've come across anyway, it's been adamantly stressed that Pegasus must be allowed to install itself in root (C:) folder and not, as I would have presumed, in the \programs (x86) folder for 32bit applications. I take no issue with that other than ....

Upgrading one of the computers here on my home LAN network to Windows 7 64 bit. Pegasus is running in multi-user mode with another computer (on the network of course) operating as a mail server using the setup described in an old document prepared by Chris Floyd entitled PMSERVER.TXT. This configuration has served me well for close to 15 years. So ....

Copied Peg install folders from backup drive into the (x86) folder of the new machine. (Before reading all the above mentioned posts) Thanks to the Jerry's advice on obtaining and using DOSBOX to run the PConfig program to create a new configuration file for this machine. The config file was created in the C:\ folder by default (I guess) so I pasted that into the \programs (x86)\pmail folder. and everything's working just fine. (?) So what sort of gremlins are lurking about that threaten to leap out unannounced and cause havoc? This new machine is used only by my wife who does nothing more than receive and send emails. She doesn't bother with attachments, image viewing, hyperlinks to web sites (her machine has no connectivity to the Internet) ... just plain ol' email is all she does.

Just asking ....

<p>OK, this topic or issue has been discussed a lot here in the forum. I've spent several hours browsing through a lot of posts related to it. In every case, that I've come across anyway, it's been adamantly stressed that Pegasus <i>must </i>be allowed to install itself in root (C:) folder and not, as I would have presumed, in the \programs (x86) folder for 32bit applications. I take no issue with that other than ....</p><p> Upgrading one of the computers here on my home LAN network to Windows 7 64 bit. Pegasus is running in multi-user mode with another computer (on the network of course) operating as a mail server using the setup described in an old document prepared by Chris Floyd entitled PMSERVER.TXT. This configuration has served me well for close to 15 years. So ....</p><p> Copied Peg install folders from backup drive into the (x86) folder of the new machine. (Before reading all the above mentioned posts) Thanks to the Jerry's advice on obtaining and using DOSBOX to run the PConfig program to create a new configuration file for this machine. The config file was created in the C:\ folder by default (I guess) so I pasted that into the \programs (x86)\pmail folder. and everything's working just fine. (?) So what sort of gremlins are lurking about that threaten to leap out unannounced and cause havoc? This new machine is used only by my wife who does nothing more than receive and send emails. She doesn't bother with attachments, image viewing, hyperlinks to web sites (her machine has no connectivity to the Internet) ... just plain ol' email is all she does.</p><p>Just asking ....</p><p> </p>

Actually, it's not the 64 bit OS that creates the problem, it's Win7.  As you probably know, Pegasus Mail updates configuration files each time it starts up and shuts down.  What happens with Win7 and the /Program Files folder is that the built-in file protection of Win7 prevents the updating of the Pegasus Mail configuration files.  You can create files in the /Program Files folders but it is the modification of those files that Win7 prevents.

<p>Actually, it's not the 64 bit OS that creates the problem, it's Win7.  As you probably know, Pegasus Mail updates configuration files each time it starts up and shuts down.  What happens with Win7 and the /Program Files folder is that the built-in file protection of Win7 prevents the updating of the Pegasus Mail configuration files.  You can create files in the /Program Files folders but it is the modification of those files that Win7 prevents.</p><p> </p>

Thus far after a couple weeks of use there have been no error messages or other hiccups to imply anything's going wrong. How will I know, if there is?

<p>Thus far after a couple weeks of use there have been no error messages or other hiccups to imply anything's going wrong. How will I know, if there is?</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft