Pegasus Mail Suggestions
feature request about identities for outgoing emails

Hello everybody!

[quote user="whiskyfizz"]

[quote user="Han v.d. Bogaerde"] 

- rightmouse the incoming sales folder and set the default identity to "sales"

Now when creating a reply or forward, the sales identity will be used.

[/quote] 

The only inconvenient with this method is that it can only be used when replying or forwarding (as pointed out by Han), but unfortunately not (yet maybe ?) when creating a new message, which is precisely what I suggested.

[/quote]

To associate identity to specific folder is a good feature, but it does not work when replying/forwarding email in New mail folder. I tend to reply/forward a mail directly from New mail folder and I need to take care, which identity I'm using.

I will try to summarize all missing features related to this thread:

1. Use associated identity when starting new e-mail message from specific folder.

2. Use correct identity when replying/forwarding e-mail located in New mail folder.

How Pegasus Mail can choose the correct identity:

a) Most users have identities based on different email addresses. This is easy, correct identity is choosed by To: field.

b) When a user has more identities with same e-mail address, Pegasus Mail may try to choose correct identity when replying:

i. by Name used in To: field (for example I have 2 identities with same address: oficial with my oficial name and my nickname for friends)

ii. by In-Reply-To: tag in header of message. This can be a lead for Pegasus, which identity was used to compose previous message.

iii. If Pegasus fails to set correct indentity for replying in cases i) and ii), Pegasus could pop up all identities that match user's e-mail address with To: field and let user to choose correct identity.

For mailing lists,  alternatives a) and b) will probably not work, mailing lists need to be handled in specific folders (filter rule move to folder, default identity to folder).

/haman

<P>Hello everybody!</P><P>[quote user="whiskyfizz"]</P><P>[quote user="Han v.d. Bogaerde"] </P><P>- rightmouse the incoming sales folder and set the default identity to "sales" </P><P>Now when creating a reply or forward, the sales identity will be used.</P><P>[/quote] </P><P>The only inconvenient with this method is that it can only be used when replying or forwarding (as pointed out by Han), but unfortunately not (yet maybe ?) when creating a new message, which is precisely what I suggested.</P><P> </P><P>[/quote]</P><P>To associate identity to specific folder is a good feature, but it does not work when replying/forwarding email in New mail folder. I tend to reply/forward a mail directly from New mail folder and I need to take care, which identity I'm using. </P><P>I will try to summarize all missing features related to this thread:</P><P>1. Use associated identity when starting new e-mail message from specific folder.</P><P>2. Use correct identity when replying/forwarding e-mail located in New mail folder.</P><P>  How Pegasus Mail can choose the correct identity:</P><P>  a) Most users have identities based on different email addresses. This is easy, correct identity is choosed by To: field.</P><P> </P><P>  b) When a user has more identities with same e-mail address, Pegasus Mail may try to choose correct identity when replying:</P><P> </P><P> </P><P>      i. by Name used in To: field (for example I have 2 identities with same address: oficial with my oficial name and my nickname for friends)</P><P>      ii. by In-Reply-To: tag in header of message. This can be a lead for Pegasus, which identity was used to compose previous message.</P><P>      iii. If Pegasus fails to set correct indentity for replying in cases i) and ii), Pegasus could pop up all identities that match user's e-mail address with To: field and let user to choose correct identity. For mailing lists,  alternatives a) and b) will probably not work, mailing lists need to be handled in specific folders (filter rule move to folder, default identity to folder).</P><P> </P><P> </P><P> </P><P>/haman</P>

Hi all !

I am only back home for today and then I leave (again) for holidays which explains the drop in my participation rate. However, who cares about those anyway, and surely this is not the place to talk about these things. Okay, so the feature I would like to see implemented in the next release could prove quite useful, I think. What is it ? Suppose you have two contacts in your address book, Mister A and Mister B, and you have two identities, 1 and 2. Now, assume you want to send to A a message under the identity 1 and to B under the identity 2, to the best of my knowledge, there is no automated way to do this inside Pegasus Mail which means that each time, you have to select the identity you want to use. This is fine as long as you have a very little address book, but when it is not the case, it is necessary to remember which identity you have to use for all your contacts, and unfortunately, not everyone has a good memory, and in certain special cases, sending an email under a wrong identity could be disastrous. What I suggest is the option of building lists out of the contacts of the address book as follows : during the creation process of the list, let's name it L, we are asked two questions, the first one is which identity you want to attach to L, and the second one is to choose its member from the address book. Now what should happen when we type a new email ? Pegasus Mail should check the L-kind lists to see if the receiver of the email is included in one of them, and if the answer is "Yes", then the email will be send under the identity attached to the L-kind list to which the receiver belongs. This way, there is no need anymore to manually select each time the identity, and the whole selection process will be taken care of by Pegasus Mail automatically. What I suggest can be thought of as some sort of filter rules, and should this feature be chosen, it could be implemented under the title "Identity filter rules" in an additional tab of the identity part or of the filter part of the program.

I hope to have been understandable and that this suggestion will be positively welcomed by the community and by David.

Cheers and long live Pegasus Mail !

Ginhead.

<p>Hi all !</p><p>I am only back home for today and then I leave (again) for holidays which explains the drop in my participation rate. However, who cares about those anyway, and surely this is not the place to talk about these things. Okay, so the feature I would like to see implemented in the next release could prove quite useful, I think. What is it ? Suppose you have two contacts in your address book, Mister A and Mister B, and you have two identities, 1 and 2. Now, assume you want to send to A a message under the identity 1 and to B under the identity 2, to the best of my knowledge, there is no automated way to do this inside Pegasus Mail which means that each time, you have to select the identity you want to use. This is fine as long as you have a very little address book, but when it is not the case, it is necessary to remember which identity you have to use for all your contacts, and unfortunately, not everyone has a good memory, and in certain special cases, sending an email under a wrong identity could be disastrous. What I suggest is the option of building lists out of the contacts of the address book as follows : during the creation process of the list, let's name it L, we are asked two questions, the first one is which identity you want to attach to L, and the second one is to choose its member from the address book. Now what should happen when we type a new email ? Pegasus Mail should check the L-kind lists to see if the receiver of the email is included in one of them, and if the answer is "Yes", then the email will be send under the identity attached to the L-kind list to which the receiver belongs. This way, there is no need anymore to manually select each time the identity, and the whole selection process will be taken care of by Pegasus Mail automatically. What I suggest can be thought of as some sort of filter rules, and should this feature be chosen, it could be implemented under the title "Identity filter rules" in an additional tab of the identity part or of the filter part of the program. </p><p>I hope to have been understandable and that this suggestion will be positively welcomed by the community and by David.</p><p>Cheers and long live Pegasus Mail !</p><p>Ginhead.  </p>

Something I'd find useful, in a similar vein, would be the ability to define a set of rules for determining the defauly identity for a message from (eg) recipients' domains, eg

*.domain_a.com -> "Me really"

*.domain_b.co.uk -> "Me with full address details"

etc

<P>Something I'd find useful, in a similar vein, would be the ability to define a set of rules for determining the defauly identity for a message from (eg) recipients' domains, eg</P> <P>*.domain_a.com -> "Me really"</P> <P>*.domain_b.co.uk -> "Me with full address details"</P> <P>etc</P>

Hello,

For my purposes a much simpler feature would be sufficient:

In a reply, set the default identity to one that corresponds to "To" address of the original message.

For example, identity A has my email address as "me@domain", while identity B has email address "sales@domain". If I reply to a message addressed to "sales@domain", then the default identity for that reply should be identity B.

Is this possible? Or even: can a plugin do this without a new version of pmail? I'd be happy to contribute development time to this.

Thanks,

Kevin

<p>Hello, </p><p>For my purposes a much simpler feature would be sufficient: In a reply, set the default identity to one that corresponds to "To" address of the original message.</p><p>For example, identity A has my email address as "me@domain", while identity B has email address "sales@domain". If I reply to a message addressed to "sales@domain", then the default identity for that reply should be identity B.</p><p>Is this possible? Or even: can a plugin do this without a new version of pmail? I'd be happy to contribute development time to this. </p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Kevin </p>

[quote user="Kevin M"] ... In a reply, set the default identity to one that corresponds to "To" address of the original message...  Is this possible? [/quote]

I don't know, but I am guessing this would not be as easy as it first sounds, because it is possible to have two identities that utilise the same email address.  I do this, one identity uses my nom-de-plume as the 'display name' part of the address, the other my real name.

Adie

<P>[quote user="Kevin M"] ... In a reply, set the default identity to one that corresponds to "To" address of the original message...  Is this possible? [/quote]</P> <P>I don't know, but I am guessing this would not be as easy as it first sounds, because it is possible to have two identities that utilise the same email address.  I do this, one identity uses my nom-de-plume as the 'display name' part of the address, the other my real name.</P> <P>Adie</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="Kevin M"] ... In a reply, set the default identity to one that corresponds to "To" address of the original message...  Is this possible? [/quote]

Only when you store the messages in a dedicated folder per address / identity, using filter rules. You can set a default identity for each folder to use via the right mouse folders options

So

- create a folder eg " Incoming Sales"
- create a new mail filtering rule If To: contains sales move to "incoming sales"
- create an identity "sales" to your liking.

<p>[quote user="Kevin M"] ... In a reply, set the default identity to one that corresponds to "To" address of the original message...  Is this possible? [/quote]</p><p> Only when you store the messages in a dedicated folder per address / identity, using filter rules. You can set a default identity for each folder to use via the right mouse folders options</p><p>So</p><p>- create a folder eg " Incoming Sales" - create a new mail filtering rule If To: contains sales move to "incoming sales" - create an identity "sales" to your liking. - rightmouse the incoming sales folder and set the default identity to "sales" </p><p> Now when creating a reply or forward, the sales identity will be used.</p><p> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

Hi !

[quote user="Han v.d. Bogaerde"] 

So

- create a folder eg " Incoming Sales"
- create a new mail filtering rule If To: contains sales move to "incoming sales"
- create an identity "sales" to your liking.

[/quote] 

Exactly, that is what I am doing right now ! Be prepare to write lots and lots of filter rules. Luckily, Pegasus Mail is the master when it comes to filtering. The only inconvenient with this method is that it can only be used when replying or forwarding (as pointed out by Han), but unfortunately not (yet maybe ?) when creating a new message, which is precisely what I suggested. If this feature could be chosen to be coded in the next release by David and his team, that would be very nice, and it will give, as a result, a perfect email client in terms of identities management.

Cheers !

Ginhead. 

<p>Hi !</p><p>[quote user="Han v.d. Bogaerde"] </p><p>So</p><p>- create a folder eg " Incoming Sales" - create a new mail filtering rule If To: contains sales move to "incoming sales" - create an identity "sales" to your liking. - rightmouse the incoming sales folder and set the default identity to "sales" </p><p> Now when creating a reply or forward, the sales identity will be used.</p><p>[/quote] </p><p>Exactly, that is what I am doing right now ! Be prepare to write lots and lots of filter rules. Luckily, Pegasus Mail is the master when it comes to filtering. The only inconvenient with this method is that it can only be used when replying or forwarding (as pointed out by Han), but unfortunately not (yet maybe ?) when creating a new message, which is precisely what I suggested. If this feature could be chosen to be coded in the next release by David and his team, that would be very nice, and it will give, as a result, a perfect email client in terms of identities management.</p><p>Cheers !</p><p>Ginhead. </p><p> </p>

Han,

Thanks - this is not how I am used to using Pegasus, but will definitely solve my immediate problem of maintaining multiple identities based on "To:" address.

Thanks,

Kevin 

<p>Han,</p><p>Thanks - this is not how I am used to using Pegasus, but will definitely solve my immediate problem of maintaining multiple identities based on "To:" address.</p><p>Thanks,</p><p>Kevin </p>

I want to support the request to be able to associate a preferred identity to an addressbook.  Attaching an identity to a folder works for some cases, but not for others such as list-servers.  For them, 'reply' is often not an option, particularly if you are receiving messages in 'digest' form, and they will just bounce your message if you use the wrong sending address.

Oops - I just realised that I used the wrong identity when joining this forum.  Just helps to make my point that it is very easy to slip up in this way and additional help from PMAIL would be welcome.

I hope Peg does indeed continue to live - I would hate to have to use Outlook Express.

Dick Holford 

<P>I want to support the request to be able to associate a preferred identity to an addressbook.  Attaching an identity to a folder works for some cases, but not for others such as list-servers.  For them, 'reply' is often not an option, particularly if you are receiving messages in 'digest' form, and they will just bounce your message if you use the wrong sending address.</P> <P>Oops - I just realised that I used the wrong identity when joining this forum.  Just helps to make my point that it is very easy to slip up in this way and additional help from PMAIL would be welcome.</P> <P>I hope Peg does indeed continue to live - I would hate to have to use Outlook Express.</P> <P>Dick Holford </P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

[quote user="Dick Holford"]

I want to support the request to be able to associate a preferred identity to an addressbook.  Attaching an identity to a folder works for some cases, but not for others such as list-servers.  For them, 'reply' is often not an option, particularly if you are receiving messages in 'digest' form, and they will just bounce your message if you use the wrong sending address.

Oops - I just realised that I used the wrong identity when joining this forum.  Just helps to make my point that it is very easy to slip up in this way and additional help from PMAIL would be welcome.

I hope Peg does indeed continue to live - I would hate to have to use Outlook Express.

Dick Holford 

[/quote]

Addressbook is one if the items that will be overhauled for the next major releas, as far as I know and what you describe has been discussed in the beta Team. IIRC it will be possible to have id's associated to addressbooks (although I cannot remember that it will be possible to associate different id's to entries in the same addressbook?)

[quote user="Dick Holford"]<p>I want to support the request to be able to associate a preferred identity to an addressbook.  Attaching an identity to a folder works for some cases, but not for others such as list-servers.  For them, 'reply' is often not an option, particularly if you are receiving messages in 'digest' form, and they will just bounce your message if you use the wrong sending address.</p> <p>Oops - I just realised that I used the wrong identity when joining this forum.  Just helps to make my point that it is very easy to slip up in this way and additional help from PMAIL would be welcome.</p> <p>I hope Peg does indeed continue to live - I would hate to have to use Outlook Express.</p> <p>Dick Holford </p><p> [/quote]</p><p>Addressbook is one if the items that will be overhauled for the next major releas, as far as I know and what you describe has been discussed in the beta Team. IIRC it will be possible to have id's associated to addressbooks (although I cannot remember that it will be possible to associate different id's to entries in the same addressbook?)</p><p> </p>

-- Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft