Community Discussions and Support
PMail and Unity VOIP message system.

We are missing something here. Why would Unity email your .wav files without a file extension. This is highly improbable, as the receiving mail agent would have no way of telling what kind of file it was dealing with.  As in the previous posting, the Mime headers at the beginning of the encoded .wav file section of the message are critical to any useful discussion.

Martin 

<p>We are missing something here. Why would Unity email your .wav files without a file extension. This is highly improbable, as the receiving mail agent would have no way of telling what kind of file it was dealing with.  As in the previous posting, the Mime headers at the beginning of the encoded .wav file section of the message are critical to any useful discussion.</p><p>Martin </p>

We have an exchange server set up with mostly Outlook users hooking in. We also have a Cisco Unity server that takes care of our VOIP phones and handles all voice mails and delivers them to the users inbox. We have no problem with using Outlook but we do have a few users that still use PMail. They are running version 4.41 and set up as POP3. In the past voicemails came through as .wav attachments and worked just fine. In the last couple of weeks they quit coming through as .wav files and instead come in as binary text. If you check the account on exchange the voicemail is fine but you lose the .wav attachment when it hits pegasus. Not sure if this is an issue with PMail or a setting that has changed on our system. The weird part is that standard .wav attachments arent affect, just ones coming from the Cisco Unity server. Any ideas would be a great help.

We have an exchange server set up with mostly Outlook users hooking in. We also have a Cisco Unity server that takes care of our VOIP phones and handles all voice mails and delivers them to the users inbox. We have no problem with using Outlook but we do have a few users that still use PMail. They are running version 4.41 and set up as POP3. In the past voicemails came through as .wav attachments and worked just fine. In the last couple of weeks they quit coming through as .wav files and instead come in as binary text. If you check the account on exchange the voicemail is fine but you lose the .wav attachment when it hits pegasus. Not sure if this is an issue with PMail or a setting that has changed on our system. The weird part is that standard .wav attachments arent affect, just ones coming from the Cisco Unity server. Any ideas would be a great help.

I would go to Tools/Internet options and check 'create session logs..'.  That will show the interaction between Exch and PM and what is being transferred.

It may be a weird mime format with a strange name so PM can't deduce the content type.

<P>I would go to Tools/Internet options and check 'create session logs..'.  That will show the interaction between Exch and PM and what is being transferred.</P> <P>It may be a weird mime format with a strange name so PM can't deduce the content type.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

I will check that and see what it shows. As for the file it is called voicemail.wav and in Outlook it comes through as a standard .wav attachment.

I will check that and see what it shows. As for the file it is called voicemail.wav and in Outlook it comes through as a standard .wav attachment.

I am having this exact problem.  We also use the Cisco VOIP phone equipment.  About 3 weeks ago I got a new computer and updated my Pegasus email program to the 4.41 version.  Everything is great except the voicemail .wav files are not coming through correctly.  The email will say this:  Filename:  VoiceMessage.wav.  Then, when I go to the attachments to listen to it, it is showing as a Plain Text file.  Needless to say, I am losing messages.  I had an older version of Pegasus before, and it worked just fine. 

I am having this exact problem.  We also use the Cisco VOIP phone equipment.  About 3 weeks ago I got a new computer and updated my Pegasus email program to the 4.41 version.  Everything is great except the voicemail .wav files are not coming through correctly.  The email will say this:  Filename:  VoiceMessage.wav.  Then, when I go to the attachments to listen to it, it is showing as a Plain Text file.  Needless to say, I am losing messages.  I had an older version of Pegasus before, and it worked just fine. 

I have now realized that the attachment is there but is missing its .wav extension. If you click the save button and save it as voicemail.wav (be sure to include the .wav part) then it will show up and play as a wave file. This will allow you to hear the message but it is a pain to make the user download and save every voicemail and then make sur eto include .wav to play it. There should be another way.

<P>I have now realized that the attachment is there but is missing its .wav extension. If you click the save button and save it as voicemail.wav (be sure to include the .wav part) then it will show up and play as a wave file. This will allow you to hear the message but it is a pain to make the user download and save every voicemail and then make sur eto include .wav to play it. There should be another way.</P>

Your suggestion helps somewhat.  I created a voicemail folder on my desktop.  I saved the email to that, and then all I had to do to hear it was click on the message when I opened the folder.  I can live with doing that if I have to, but I agree there should be another way.  

Your suggestion helps somewhat.  I created a voicemail folder on my desktop.  I saved the email to that, and then all I had to do to hear it was click on the message when I opened the folder.  I can live with doing that if I have to, but I agree there should be another way.  

After working with our exchange server we realized that PMail was having an issue with encoding. The 3.12 version works fine but when using 4.41 which is using MIME encoding attachments are fine but voicemail is not. When we force exchange to send attachments as UUM instead of the default the voicemails are fine but other attachments are not. Both voicemail and attachments come through fine in versio 3.12 but the issue is in 4.41 which would seem like an encoding problem with the new version and not an issue with exchange or unity. Dont know what the fix is unless the PMail is fixed but the only way we could fix it was to go back to the older version and it works fine. This isnt too bad but requires backing up the email and uninstalling everything.

After working with our exchange server we realized that PMail was having an issue with encoding. The 3.12 version works fine but when using 4.41 which is using MIME encoding attachments are fine but voicemail is not. When we force exchange to send attachments as UUM instead of the default the voicemails are fine but other attachments are not. Both voicemail and attachments come through fine in versio 3.12 but the issue is in 4.41 which would seem like an encoding problem with the new version and not an issue with exchange or unity. Dont know what the fix is unless the PMail is fixed but the only way we could fix it was to go back to the older version and it works fine. This isnt too bad but requires backing up the email and uninstalling everything.

I would suggest setting up a New Mail, or a General Rule, which states in simple terms: if attachment is type .wav then run program "Windows Media Player"  Of course any mailer that sends out attachments with no filetype,  are rightly viewed with suspicion.

As for *.wav not acting properly, look at the list of attachment types in menu Tools/Options/Incoming Mail/Content Viewer   There should not be an entry, which will then allow the default application (WMP) to handle the filetype.

Martin 

<p>I would suggest setting up a New Mail, or a General Rule, which states in simple terms: if attachment is type .wav then run program "Windows Media Player"  Of course any mailer that sends out attachments with no filetype,  are rightly viewed with suspicion. </p><p>As for *.wav not acting properly, look at the list of attachment types in menu Tools/Options/Incoming Mail/Content Viewer   There should not be an entry, which will then allow the default application (WMP) to handle the filetype.</p><p>Martin </p><p> </p>

I find it weird that voicemail worked fine in version 3.12 and earlier but will not work in the newest version 4.41. As for attachments, .wav files work fine but now our .wav files from Unity are not coming in with an file extension. It is understandable that PMail would treat them as suspicious but why did they stop coming with a file extension with the new PMail but worked fine with the old one. It seems that all the issues revolve around the newest version and possibly a encoding issue. For the time being we may have to go back to the older version since it has been retested and still works just fine.

I find it weird that voicemail worked fine in version 3.12 and earlier but will not work in the newest version 4.41. As for attachments, .wav files work fine but now our .wav files from Unity are not coming in with an file extension. It is understandable that PMail would treat them as suspicious but why did they stop coming with a file extension with the new PMail but worked fine with the old one. It seems that all the issues revolve around the newest version and possibly a encoding issue. For the time being we may have to go back to the older version since it has been retested and still works just fine.

Could you post a copy of the MIME headers?

There may be Content-type:, Content-disposition:, and Content-transfer-encoding: headers - and possibly others.

<P>Could you post a copy of the MIME headers?</P> <P>There may be Content-type:, Content-disposition:, and Content-transfer-encoding: headers - and possibly others.</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft