Community Discussions and Support
Migrating Mercury mail service in same eDir context; IMAP and auth-smtp questions too

[quote user="rhs"]Wouldn't you know it but Netware is "going away" at our institution.  Do you have anything to offer wrt migrating from an NDS environment to one in Microsoft's Active Directory? I checked out the wiki but no such luck there.  I'll search the mail archives as well.  Any pointers, tips, gotchas, bewares, directions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

I just responded here a few days back on active directory and Mercury/32.  There is nothing available right now other than a alpha version of dll to make the connection.  See my post http://community.pmail.com/forums/post/15171.aspx[/quote]

<blockquote>[quote user="rhs"]Wouldn't you know it but Netware is "going away" at our institution.  Do you have anything to offer wrt migrating from an NDS environment to one in Microsoft's Active Directory? I checked out the wiki but no such luck there.  I'll search the mail archives as well.  Any pointers, tips, gotchas, bewares, directions would be appreciated.  Thanks!</blockquote><p>I just responded here a few days back on active directory and Mercury/32.  There is nothing available right now other than a alpha version of dll to make the connection.  See my post <a href="/forums/post/15171.aspx" title="http://community.pmail.com/forums/post/15171.aspx" mce_href="/forums/post/15171.aspx">http://community.pmail.com/forums/post/15171.aspx</a>[/quote]</p>

Howdy -

Been using Mercury mail for some time, once in Bindery mode, now in NDS mode.  While the migration from one to another was rather straight forward, I am at somewhat of a loss as to my NW5.1>NW6.5 migration with the servers in same eDir context.  I am under the belief that it as simple as running  NCONFIG.exe and changing the server name in the spool directory but uncertainty on the utility's effectiveness prevails as the Internet Name that shows up there is not carried out in user posts as specified, ie username@server.subdomain.domain.tld appears rather than what is set there (username@subdomain.subdomain.domain.tld).

Also, we run MERCNDSP but would prefer an IMAP module and the auth-smtp implementation is a non-starter as having user passwds in a file is an impossible sell here.  Tips and comments on those two issues appreciated as well.

Thanks all for your attention to this inquiry.

Cheers      -Robert 

<p>Howdy -</p><p>Been using Mercury mail for some time, once in Bindery mode, now in NDS mode.  While the migration from one to another was rather straight forward, I am at somewhat of a loss as to my NW5.1>NW6.5 migration with the servers in same eDir context.  I am under the belief that it as simple as running  NCONFIG.exe and changing the server name in the spool directory but uncertainty on the utility's effectiveness prevails as the Internet Name that shows up there is not carried out in user posts as specified, ie username@server.subdomain.domain.tld appears rather than what is set there (username@subdomain.subdomain.domain.tld).</p><p>Also, we run MERCNDSP but would prefer an IMAP module and the auth-smtp implementation is a non-starter as having user passwds in a file is an impossible sell here.  Tips and comments on those two issues appreciated as well.</p><p>Thanks all for your attention to this inquiry.</p><p>Cheers      -Robert </p>

without a response to my inquiry, i am compelled to ask 1) was this the proper forum to post my question about migrating the mercury service from one server to another in the same eDir context, and 2) on what forum do the merc/nlm user "hang out"?  [;)]

.rs 

<p>without a response to my inquiry, i am compelled to ask 1) was this the proper forum to post my question about migrating the mercury service from one server to another in the same eDir context, and 2) on what forum do the merc/nlm user "hang out"?  [;)] </p><p>.rs </p>

There is no specific Mercury/NLM-forum - so this forum is correct for your questions. The intensity here is lower now in July than it was in June, probably because of sommer vacation periods in the northern hemisphere. Regarding NLM/NDS etc. we used Novell heavily some years ago, but due to costs of service and support all our installations have migrated to other operating systems - so regarding your specific issue - I have no help - but I'm sure others do.

There is no specific Mercury/NLM-forum - so this forum is correct for your questions. The intensity here is lower now in July than it was in June, probably because of sommer vacation periods in the northern hemisphere. Regarding NLM/NDS etc. we used Novell heavily some years ago, but due to costs of service and support all our installations have migrated to other operating systems - so regarding your specific issue - I have no help - but I'm sure others do.

[quote user="rhs"]

without a response to my inquiry, i am compelled to ask 1) was this the proper forum to post my question about migrating the mercury service from one server to another in the same eDir context, and 2) on what forum do the merc/nlm user "hang out"?  [;)]

.rs 

[/quote]

Might try the Mercury mailing list, still quite active.  You can also use the Pegasus Mail searchable archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives.  You can also manage your list options at the same site.  You have to be subscribed to the list to search the archives IIRC.  FWIW, I know there are Netware users (I'm one) on the mailing list but I do not know if there is anyone that could answer your question about eDir context.

[quote user="rhs"]<p>without a response to my inquiry, i am compelled to ask 1) was this the proper forum to post my question about migrating the mercury service from one server to another in the same eDir context, and 2) on what forum do the merc/nlm user "hang out"?  [;)] </p><p>.rs </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>Might try the Mercury mailing list, still quite active.  You can also use the Pegasus Mail searchable archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives.  You can also manage your list options at the same site.  You have to be subscribed to the list to search the archives IIRC.  FWIW, I know there are Netware users (I'm one) on the mailing list but I do not know if there is anyone that could answer your question about eDir context. </p><p> </p><p>   </p>

Thanks for the references.

NCONFIG worked as I suspected, mail is being delivered to the users new $HOMEDIR/PMAIL folder, and setting an A record for the preferred domainname in DNS was sufficent to overcome the user@servername issue.

What remains is the use of old synonyms in Pegasus Mail as the sender's username.  Only a copying the old synonym.mer file to the new system/mercury folder allowed those users to post messages as bouncebacks to the postmaster indicated the synonym@domain did not exist.  Once the old file was there, their mail went through, albeit with the synonym as the sender, not their proper username.  I'll take this to the appropriate forum.

Thanks again for your responses.

Cheers!    -Robert 

mercury xport user since '93

<p>Thanks for the references.</p><p>NCONFIG worked as I suspected, mail is being delivered to the users new $HOMEDIR/PMAIL folder, and setting an A record for the preferred domainname in DNS was sufficent to overcome the user@servername issue.</p><p>What remains is the use of <b>old</b> synonyms in Pegasus Mail as the sender's username.  Only a copying the old synonym.mer file to the new system/mercury folder allowed those users to post messages as bouncebacks to the postmaster indicated the synonym@domain did not exist.  Once the old file was there, their mail went through, albeit with the synonym as the sender, not their proper username.  I'll take this to the appropriate forum. </p><p>Thanks again for your responses.</p><p>Cheers!    -Robert </p><p> mercury xport user since '93</p>

Wouldn't you know it but Netware is "going away" at our institution.  Do you have anything to offer wrt migrating from an NDS environment to one in Microsoft's Active Directory? I checked out the wiki but no such luck there.  I'll search the mail archives as well.  Any pointers, tips, gotchas, bewares, directions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Wouldn't you know it but Netware is "going away" at our institution.  Do you have anything to offer wrt migrating from an NDS environment to one in Microsoft's Active Directory? I checked out the wiki but no such luck there.  I'll search the mail archives as well.  Any pointers, tips, gotchas, bewares, directions would be appreciated.  Thanks!
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft