Community Discussions and Support
Running Mercury server without reverse DNS

We had a problem with delivery issues where emails were being refused because we did not have reverse DNS set up when we first began managing our email. I manage the DNS for several domains and have never been charged for setting up RDNS records. I'd look for a different ISP.

<P>We had a problem with delivery issues where emails were being refused because we did not have reverse DNS set up when we first began managing our email. I manage the DNS for several domains and have never been charged for setting up RDNS records. I'd look for a different ISP.</P>

I have an opportunity to change to a different ISP that offers me a static IP address so I can run my Mercury server, but they have a huge extra monthly charge for reverse DNS. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, running Mercury without reverse DNS? Receiving mail would not be a problem, but I'm concerned about outgoing mail.

<p>I have an opportunity to change to a different ISP that offers me a static IP address so I can run my Mercury server, but they have a huge extra monthly charge for reverse DNS. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, running Mercury without reverse DNS? Receiving mail would not be a problem, but I'm concerned about outgoing mail. </p>

Been running without for 10 years without problems.

The connection the Merc server is on is in a static block and just has the generic ISP RDNS, so doesn't match the hostname.

Not sure if it is related to RDNS, but there are a only a couple of servers that won't accept a connection (some small company domains run through a couple of Australian webhost's MX's) so I use a fake A record in our local DNS to deliver those via the ISP smarthost.

<p>Been running without for 10 years without problems.</p><p>The connection the Merc server is on is in a static block and just has the generic ISP RDNS, so doesn't match the hostname.</p><p>Not sure if it is related to RDNS, but there are a only a couple of servers that won't accept a connection (some small company domains run through a couple of Australian webhost's MX's) so I use a fake A record in our local DNS to deliver those via the ISP smarthost.</p><p>  </p>

[quote user="subelman"]

I have an opportunity to change to a different ISP that offers me a static IP address so I can run my Mercury server, but they have a huge extra monthly charge for reverse DNS. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, running Mercury without reverse DNS?[/quote]

Do you mean there is no reverse record, or that one is imposed by your ISP?  I've never tried it without any record.

[quote]Receiving mail would not be a problem, but I'm concerned about outgoing mail.[/quote]

If you have no RR and try to send direct with MercuryE, I suspect you will have problems, with some servers giving you a bad "score" and others rejecting outright.  (Relaying elsewhere with MercuryC should be fine.)

[quote user="subelman"] <P>I have an opportunity to change to a different ISP that offers me a static IP address so I can run my Mercury server, but they have a huge extra monthly charge for reverse DNS. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, running Mercury without reverse DNS?[/quote]</P> <P>Do you mean there is no reverse record, or that one is imposed by your ISP?  I've never tried it without any record.</P> <P>[quote]Receiving mail would not be a problem, but I'm concerned about outgoing mail.[/quote]</P> <P>If you have no RR and try to send direct with MercuryE, I suspect you will have problems, with some servers giving you a bad "score" and others rejecting outright.  (Relaying elsewhere with MercuryC should be fine.)</P>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft