Community Discussions and Support
Transferring PM 4.63 Folders from Win XP to Win 8 (64bit)

The transfer of my old messages, trays and folders from the Win XP to WIn 8 machines has been successfully sorted out with the off-the-list advice from Jerry Wise, whose help is gratefully  acknowledged in clarifying my misunderstandings.    

In summary, the PMail application is run as single user mode - just my wife and myself - with all the messages for over ten years sorted into into subject trays and folders, but we use two email addresses/identities.    There is no message filtering used as described in the PM Manual Ch. 6, p.72.   By using "File\Selective Mail Download" any suspicious titles and senders can be reasonably easily identified (helped by double clicking on any message in the list to look at the header data) - fortunately there has been  virtually no spam for two or three years as it seems the web ISPs have successsfully filtered them out.    Nor do we use any automatic sorting to put senders' messages into specific folders or trays, nearly all  of which are entitled by topic or subject.

The Win 8 message folder was left as the install default C:\PMAIL\MAIL path.   The archive transferred by  USB memory stick from the Win XP was installed initially in D:\,  but later into F:\ PEGASUSMAIL  MESSSAGES.   Make sure all files/folders properties are not ticked as Read Only.

Make sure the box is ticked for "Save the Pegasus Mail desktop state between sessions  "  found in Tools\Options\Basic settings", see PM Manual CH11, p.108   [All my boxes are ticked].

I transferred all the address book file pairs xxx.PMR and xxx.PM! from F:\ PEGASUSMAIL  MESSSAGES into C:\PMAIL\MAIl.

To make the archive mail visible to PM click on the yellow folder icon "Work with your Mail Folders"  which opens the folder heirarchy listed under "My Mailbox".   [NB: this action slightly modfies the menu bar Folder to Folders, with different menus].    Click on the new Folders and click on "Add Mailbox to List" function leaving Directory Path marked in Properties for Mailbox   I then added in the archive path and name
F:\Pegasusmail Messages
WinXP 26Feb2013

This now enabled me to see in the folders window two mailboxes
My Mailbox
WinXP 26Feb2013
The only minor "problem" now is that all the archive messages are accessible, but dispersed in grey trays (some 200+) with no folder/tray hierarchy as on the WInXP machine.   I had to regenerate the original yellow subject folders in My Mailbox and cut/paste, or drag, the archive message trays back into the their original hierarchy in the Win 8 My Mailbox.

I did this in steps, checking that nothing was corrupted by shutting down, rebooting and making sure messages were accessible.    This was successful, but left the added mailbox and one empty tray.   Neither could be deleted by clciking the yellow Delete icon.   Looking with Notepad at HIERARCH.PM it showed that the archive mailbox F:\Pegasusmail Messages was present.    Jerry Wise kindly advised that in Folder Manager window, right clicking on the mounted mailbox would disable the mailbox, then one shuts down PM and checks with HIERARCH.PM  that this mailbox had disappeared.  Re-open PM and check all is working.

Initially I was puzzled when opening archive messages that the Message Header was a dark purple and the information almost unreadable, on the XP machine it was pale yellow;  Jerry Wise reminded me that I should check the setting in Tools\Options\Incoming mail\Message reader,  where I could reset the colour.   Now the old messages are on the new WIn 8 machine, any attachment paths listed at the end of messages will be incorrect.

I have rebooted the Win 8 machine a number of time now and all seems stable with all the archive messages in the original hierarchy and address books transferred from Win XP.

Rodney Fry

<p>The transfer of my old messages, trays and folders from the Win XP to WIn 8 machines has been successfully sorted out with the off-the-list advice from Jerry Wise, whose help is gratefully  acknowledged in clarifying my misunderstandings.     In summary, the PMail application is run as single user mode - just my wife and myself - with all the messages for over ten years sorted into into subject trays and folders, but we use two email addresses/identities.    There is no message filtering used as described in the <b>PM Manual </b>Ch. 6, p.72.   By using <i>"File\Selective Mail Download"</i> any suspicious titles and senders can be reasonably easily identified (helped by double clicking on any message in the list to look at the header data) - fortunately there has been  virtually no spam for two or three years as it seems the web ISPs have successsfully filtered them out.    Nor do we use any automatic sorting to put senders' messages into specific folders or trays, nearly all  of which are entitled by topic or subject. The Win 8 message folder was left as the install default C:\PMAIL\MAIL path.   The archive transferred by  USB memory stick from the Win XP was installed initially in D:\,  but later into F:\ PEGASUSMAIL  MESSSAGES.   Make sure all files/folders properties are not ticked as Read Only. Make sure the box is ticked for "<i>Save the Pegasus Mail desktop state between sessions </i> "  found in T<i>ools\Options\Basic settings"</i>, see <b>PM Manual</b> CH11, p.108   [All my boxes are ticked]. I transferred all the address book file pairs xxx.PMR and xxx.PM! from F:\ PEGASUSMAIL  MESSSAGES into C:\PMAIL\MAIl. To make the archive mail visible to PM click on the yellow folder icon "<i>Work with your Mail Folders</i>"  which opens the folder heirarchy listed under "<i>My Mailbox"</i>.   [NB: this action slightly modfies the menu bar <i>Folder</i> to <i>Folders</i>, with different menus].    Click on the new Folders and click on <i>"Add Mailbox to List"</i> function leaving Directory Path marked in Properties for Mailbox   I then added in the archive path and name F:\Pegasusmail Messages WinXP 26Feb2013 This now enabled me to see in the folders window <b>two</b> mailboxes My Mailbox WinXP 26Feb2013 The only minor "problem" now is that all the archive messages are accessible, but dispersed in grey trays (some 200+) with no folder/tray hierarchy as on the WInXP machine.   I had to regenerate the original yellow subject folders in <i>My Mailbox</i> and cut/paste, or drag, the archive message trays back into the their original hierarchy in the <i>Win 8 My Mailbox.</i> I did this in steps, checking that nothing was corrupted by shutting down, rebooting and making sure messages were accessible.    This was successful, but left the added mailbox and one empty tray.   Neither could be deleted by clciking the yellow Delete icon.   Looking with Notepad at HIERARCH.PM it showed that the archive mailbox F:\Pegasusmail Messages was present.    Jerry Wise kindly advised that in Folder Manager window, right clicking on the mounted mailbox would disable the mailbox, then one shuts down PM and checks with HIERARCH.PM  that this mailbox had disappeared.  Re-open PM and check all is working. Initially I was puzzled when opening archive messages that the Message Header was a dark purple and the information almost unreadable, on the XP machine it was pale yellow;  Jerry Wise reminded me that I should check the setting in <i>Tools\Options\Incoming mail\Message reader</i>,  where I could reset the colour.   Now the old messages are on the new WIn 8 machine, any attachment paths listed at the end of messages will be incorrect. I have rebooted the Win 8 machine a number of time now and all seems stable with all the archive messages in the original hierarchy and address books transferred from Win XP.</p><p>Rodney Fry </p>

In a previous thread (Dec 12, 2012) I had raised a query if PM ver. 4.63 can be installed on Win 8 Pro (64 bit) - one forum member ms007 said this was fine.   I have had to change the Toshiba laptop for a Fujitsu N532 i3 Core Win 8/64 bit machine and installed PM 4.63 successfully once more.

I realised subsequently that I should have checked first as to the possibility of transferring all my message folders to the new machine.   A search produced a number of Forum threads  related to this topic:

"Transfering emails / Purchase of a new computer" Dec 12 2012
<http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/36758.aspx >

"Moved Pegasus to new computer now can't delete old messages "
<http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/36593.aspx>   Nov 22 2012

"Move Pegasus address books from old computer to new computer"

<http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/34127.aspx>  May 8 2012

It was not entirely clear to me from these threads, if I could just transfer the PM ver 4.63 folders from my Win XP SP3 desktop.   However, as I understand it PM is basically a stand-alone application, I copied my desktop files
C:\PegasusMail
C:\PegasusMail messages
to a USB memory stick and pasted them into the Win 8 laptop C:\ drive. The folder names were fortunately different from the default folders as installed on the laptop.    Clicking on the transferred < winpm-32.exe > file,  PMail opened and all seemed to work as normal.   The only thing that I haven't managed to sort out are the pastel shade colours for the PM dialogue windows,  which are not to my taste - I think this is a Win 8 restriction as I haven't managed to arrange good colours for any other applications that are opened.

I am not sure now, if I needed to uninstall these transferred files, whether ContolPanel \Programs\Uninstall would remove these or just the original files in folder C:\PMAIL?   Or would I need to manually delete these transferred folders.   As I don't really need the original installation perhaps I should run CP\Programs\Uninstall ?   Would it be necessary to check if PM is in the Registry following deletion?

Hopefully this will help other Forum readers.

Rodney Fry

&lt;p&gt;In a previous thread (Dec 12, 2012) I had raised a query if PM ver. 4.63 can be installed on Win 8 Pro (64 bit) - one forum member &lt;i&gt;ms007&lt;/i&gt; said this was fine.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; I have had to change the Toshiba laptop for a Fujitsu N532 i3 Core Win 8/64 bit machine and installed PM 4.63 successfully once more. I realised subsequently that I should have checked first as to the possibility of transferring all my message folders to the new machine.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; A search produced a number of Forum threads&amp;nbsp; related to this topic: &lt;i&gt;&quot;Transfering emails / Purchase of a new computer&quot; Dec 12 2012&lt;/i&gt; &amp;lt;http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/36758.aspx &amp;gt; &lt;i&gt;&quot;Moved Pegasus to new computer now can&#039;t delete old messages &quot;&lt;/i&gt; &amp;lt;http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/36593.aspx&amp;gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Nov 22 2012 &lt;i&gt; &quot;Move Pegasus address books from old computer to new computer&quot;&lt;/i&gt; &amp;lt;http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/34127.aspx&amp;gt;&amp;nbsp; May 8 2012 It was not entirely clear to me from these threads, if I could just transfer the PM ver 4.63 folders from my Win XP SP3 desktop.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; However, as I understand it PM is basically a stand-alone application, I copied my desktop files C:\PegasusMail C:\PegasusMail messages to a USB memory stick and pasted them into the Win 8 laptop C:\ drive. The folder names were fortunately different from the default folders as installed on the laptop.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Clicking on the transferred &amp;lt; &lt;i&gt;winpm-32.exe&lt;/i&gt; &amp;gt; file,&amp;nbsp; PMail opened and all seemed to work as normal.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; The only thing that I haven&#039;t managed to sort out are the pastel shade colours for the PM dialogue windows,&amp;nbsp; which are not to my taste - I think this is a Win 8 restriction as I haven&#039;t managed to arrange good colours for any other applications that are opened.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I am not sure now, if I needed to uninstall these transferred files, whether &lt;i&gt;ContolPanel \Programs\Uninstall&lt;/i&gt; would remove these or just the original files in folder C:\PMAIL?&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Or would I need to manually delete these transferred folders.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; As I don&#039;t really need the original installation perhaps I should run &lt;i&gt;CP\Programs\Uninstall&lt;/i&gt; ?&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Would it be necessary to check if PM is in the Registry following deletion? Hopefully this will help other Forum readers. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Rodney Fry &lt;/p&gt;

Use the new install version on new machine and from winpm-32 do Help, About, Info button and copy that display information and past into a new post so we can see exactly and what paths you have now.

Then do the same from the old machine and that install and paste that one also or in other post. Then we can advise what files and from where to where to transfer only the necessary data but not other configuration or settings stuff or anything that has paths recorded within them.

&lt;p&gt;Use the new install version on new machine and from winpm-32 do Help, About, Info button and copy that display information and past into a new post so we can see exactly and what paths you have now.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Then do the same from the old machine and that install and paste that one also or in other post. Then we can advise what files and from where to where to transfer only the necessary data but not other configuration or settings stuff or anything that has paths recorded within them. &lt;/p&gt;

Thank you, Jerry, for responding.  Both the initial installation and the transferred Win XP installation copy on the Win 8 Pro laptop are running properly, as far as I can tell.   As requested, listed below are the "Info" data.   I have just noticed that in C:\PMAIL\PROGRAMS there is a application "unins000.exe" 699 kB  which I assume is the uninstall executable?    Presumably clicking on this will remove the original installed PM, and just leave the new transferred PM files?

File from "About Pegasus Mail" on Win XP desktop as transferred to new WIn 8 Pro laptop.

WinPMail version: Version 4.63 (Win32), Dec 22 2011, build ID 325
Language resources: Standard UK English resource set
Extension Manager version: 1.14
Operating mode: Standalone
User name and ID: Single-user mode, 0
Windows version: 6.2
Windows flag word: 0
WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PegasusMail\Programs
Home mailbox location: C:\PEGASUSMAIL MESSAGES
New mailbox location: C:\PEGASUSMAIL MESSAGES
TMP environment variable: C:\Users\Maureen\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\Maureen\AppData\Local\Temp
LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N
NetWare MHS support: N, N, N
Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled
  - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0
  - WINSOCK path: C:\windows\system32\WSOCK32.DLL
Commandline:
Active -Z options: 32768
PMR variable: (None)
PML variable: (None)
MAI variable: (None)
NB variable: (None)
Autofiltering folders: 0 (0 active, 0 inactive)
Last new mail count: 108
Message size soft limit: 0 bytes
Message size hard limit: 0 bytes
Attachment size soft limit: 0 bytes
Attachment size hard limit: 0 bytes

File from "About Pegasus Mail" on Win 8 Pro laptop as initially installed [and still installed]

WinPMail version: Version 4.63 (Win32), Dec 22 2011, build ID 325
Language resources: Standard UK English resource set
Extension Manager version: 1.14
Operating mode: Standalone
User name and ID: Single-user mode, 0
Windows version: 6.2
Windows flag word: 0
WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs
Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL
New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL
TMP environment variable: C:\Users\Maureen\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\Maureen\AppData\Local\Temp
LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N
NetWare MHS support: N, N, N
Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled
  - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0
  - WINSOCK path: C:\windows\system32\WSOCK32.DLL
Commandline:
Active -Z options: 32768
PMR variable: (None)
PML variable: (None)
MAI variable: (None)
NB variable: (None)
Autofiltering folders: 0 (0 active, 0 inactive)
Last new mail count: 3
Message size soft limit: 0 bytes
Message size hard limit: 0 bytes
Attachment size soft limit: 0 bytes
Attachment size hard limit: 0 bytes

Both installations are working on the laptop - although I haven't tried running them simultaneously!!

Rodney Fry

&lt;p&gt;Thank you, Jerry, for responding.&amp;nbsp; Both the initial installation and the transferred Win XP installation copy on the Win 8 Pro laptop are running properly, as far as I can tell.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; As requested, listed below are the &quot;Info&quot; data.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; I have just noticed that in &lt;i&gt;C:\PMAIL\PROGRAMS&lt;/i&gt; there is a application &lt;i&gt;&quot;unins000.exe&lt;/i&gt;&quot; 699 kB&amp;nbsp; which I assume is the uninstall executable?&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; Presumably clicking on this will remove the original installed PM, and just leave the new transferred PM files? &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;File from &quot;About Pegasus Mail&quot; on Win XP desktop as transferred to new WIn 8 Pro laptop. WinPMail version: Version 4.63 (Win32), Dec 22 2011, build ID 325 Language resources: Standard UK English resource set Extension Manager version: 1.14 Operating mode: Standalone User name and ID: Single-user mode, 0 Windows version: 6.2 Windows flag word: 0 WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PegasusMail\Programs Home mailbox location: C:\PEGASUSMAIL MESSAGES New mailbox location: C:\PEGASUSMAIL MESSAGES TMP environment variable: C:\Users\Maureen\AppData\Local\Temp TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\Maureen\AppData\Local\Temp LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N NetWare MHS support: N, N, N Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled &amp;nbsp; - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0 &amp;nbsp; - WINSOCK path: C:\windows\system32\WSOCK32.DLL Commandline: Active -Z options: 32768 PMR variable: (None) PML variable: (None) MAI variable: (None) NB variable: (None) Autofiltering folders: 0 (0 active, 0 inactive) Last new mail count: 108 Message size soft limit: 0 bytes Message size hard limit: 0 bytes Attachment size soft limit: 0 bytes Attachment size hard limit: 0 bytes File from &quot;About Pegasus Mail&quot; on Win 8 Pro laptop as initially installed [and still installed] WinPMail version: Version 4.63 (Win32), Dec 22 2011, build ID 325 Language resources: Standard UK English resource set Extension Manager version: 1.14 Operating mode: Standalone User name and ID: Single-user mode, 0 Windows version: 6.2 Windows flag word: 0 WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\PMAIL\Programs Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL New mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL TMP environment variable: C:\Users\Maureen\AppData\Local\Temp TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\Maureen\AppData\Local\Temp LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N NetWare MHS support: N, N, N Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled &amp;nbsp; - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0 &amp;nbsp; - WINSOCK path: C:\windows\system32\WSOCK32.DLL Commandline: Active -Z options: 32768 PMR variable: (None) PML variable: (None) MAI variable: (None) NB variable: (None) Autofiltering folders: 0 (0 active, 0 inactive) Last new mail count: 3 Message size soft limit: 0 bytes Message size hard limit: 0 bytes Attachment size soft limit: 0 bytes Attachment size hard limit: 0 bytes &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Both installations are working on the laptop - although I haven&#039;t tried running them simultaneously!! &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Rodney Fry &lt;/p&gt;

That uninstall exe does not work the way you imagine or do what you have described. It usually will no work but might in your case since the old install is on the current drive also.

Pegasus Mail does not user Registry but does make a few entries for benefit of others and the system. Attempts to remove the old install may mess up Registry and necessitate running Tools, Options and System mailer button again or running setpmdefault.exe from same location in new  install where winpm-32.exe is located. Your current install and  paths look good to me.

Where are old messages now?  Where is old winpmfua.pm now? That is normally one user will miss immediately. I assume all old .cnm files have already been copied to new c:\pmail\mail location and now useable or have been stored in new messages folders in new install location of \mail since you are using single user mode.

Check your inbox of community again and use the address supplied in message to contact me  please. I am assuming the new install is working and performing ok at this time and that sending and receiving of mail is working ok.

Once done the old install and all below may need to be deleted manually from the current drive. Don't count on any help from MSWindows system to do it. Any difference due to win8 system are unknown to me as I do not use that system yet. So all my familiarity is with win7-64 and older OSs. Can you check control panel and default programs and protocols section and determine that mailto protocol and default email client are set correctly and pointed to WSENDTO with correct current winpm-32.exe location used?

Your coloration issue is going to be a win8 system one and require setting within the OS system. 

&lt;p&gt;That uninstall exe does not work the way you imagine or do what you have described. It usually will no work but might in your case since the old install is on the current drive also.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Pegasus Mail does not user Registry but does make a few entries for benefit of others and the system. Attempts to remove the old install may mess up Registry and necessitate running Tools, Options and System mailer button again or running setpmdefault.exe from same location in new &amp;nbsp;install where winpm-32.exe is located. Your current install and &amp;nbsp;paths look good to me.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Where are old messages now? &amp;nbsp;Where is old winpmfua.pm now? That is normally one user will miss immediately. I assume all old .cnm files have already been copied to new c:\pmail\mail location and now useable or have been stored in new messages folders in new install location of \mail since you are using single user mode.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&lt;span style=&quot;font-size: 10pt;&quot;&gt;Check your inbox of community again and use the address supplied in message to contact me &amp;nbsp;please. I am assuming the new install is working and performing ok at this time and that sending and receiving of mail is working ok.&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Once done the old install and all below may need to be deleted manually from the current drive. Don&#039;t count on any help from MSWindows system to do it. Any difference due to win8 system are unknown to me as I do not use that system yet. So all my familiarity is with win7-64 and older OSs. Can you check control panel and default programs and protocols section and determine that mailto protocol and default email client are set correctly and pointed to WSENDTO with correct current winpm-32.exe location used?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Your coloration issue is going to be a win8 system one and require setting within the OS system.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft