Community Discussions and Support
Links in emails not clickable

[quote user="dleigh"]

Would simply like to suggest that changing "text" URLs into hyper-links be added as an option. ...

[/quote]

This is already an option. The only thing is that it only converts what looks like URLs into hyperlinks only in plain text messages. In HTML messages, PMail is assuming if the writer wanted a clickable link, they'd have made it an <a ..> link to begin with. Maybe I'm already used to that, since my general-purpose editor does pretty much the same thing. It will hyperlink anything that looks like a URL--BUT IF AND ONLY IF the document is not already an HTML document. If it is an HTML document, it won't do any conversions, since most often, those conversions mess up the way the writer originally designed the HTML. Personally, I agree that trying to "second guess" HTML documents is more headache than it's worth; Not only does it increase the load on the CPU and slow down rendering the message, I've found it often makes HMTL line up all messed up and half the time unreadable until I read it as plain text!

Regards,

C. M. 

[quote user=&quot;dleigh&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Would simply like to suggest that changing &quot;text&quot; URLs into hyper-links be added as an &lt;b&gt;option&lt;/b&gt;. ... &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;This is already an option. The only thing is that it only converts what looks like URLs into hyperlinks &lt;i&gt;only&lt;/i&gt; in &lt;i&gt;plain text&lt;/i&gt; messages. In HTML messages, PMail is assuming if the writer wanted a clickable link, they&#039;d have made it an &amp;lt;a ..&amp;gt; link to begin with. Maybe I&#039;m already used to that, since my general-purpose editor does pretty much the same thing. It will hyperlink anything that looks like a URL--BUT IF AND ONLY IF the document is not already an HTML document. If it is an HTML document, it won&#039;t do any conversions, since most often, those conversions mess up the way the writer originally designed the HTML. Personally, I agree that trying to &quot;second guess&quot; HTML documents is more headache than it&#039;s worth; Not only does it increase the load on the CPU and slow down rendering the message, I&#039;ve found it often makes HMTL line up all messed up and half the time unreadable until I read it as plain text!&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Regards,&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;C. M.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Hi

There are some emails which I receive were links are clickable inside the email (the link is underlines and in a blue colour) while others are not they appear as plane text - if I want to use the link I have to cut and paste it.

Is this something to do with my settings or the way the link in the email was witten.

Cheers

&lt;P&gt;Hi &lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;There are some emails which I receive were links are clickable inside the email&amp;nbsp;(the link is underlines and in a blue colour) while others are not they appear as plane text - if I want to use the link I have to cut and paste it.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Is this something to do with my settings or the way the link in&amp;nbsp;the email was witten.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Cheers&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P mce_keep=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/P&gt;

There are a couple of possibilities here. Firstly, you may be beyond the link limit for the message... The process of locating and highlighting links in e-mail is quite "expensive" in CPU terms, so Pegasus Mail only locates the first "x" links in the message; you can control the value of "x" in Tools|Options|Hyperlinks.

The other possibility (probably more likely in this case, I suspect) is that the messages are HTML. In HTML mail, Pegasus Mail does not scan for links, because HTML has a perfectly satisfactory way of specifying links already - via <a> tags. As a result, if someone simply types out a URL in a message then sends that message as HTML, Pegasus Mail will treat the URL as text, not as a link, because that is presumably what the sender meant it to be - it's not my place to double-guess what the sender intended (believe me, past experience shows that doing so just creates far more pain than it's worth). For HTML messages, your sender should be using the facilities of his mail program to create hyperlinks properly - if he/she does this, they will work fine in Pegasus Mail.

Cheers!

-- David --

There are a couple of possibilities here. Firstly, you may be beyond the link limit for the message... The process of locating and highlighting links in e-mail is quite &quot;expensive&quot; in CPU terms, so Pegasus Mail only locates the first &quot;x&quot; links in the message; you can control the value of &quot;x&quot; in Tools|Options|Hyperlinks. The other possibility (probably more likely in this case, I suspect) is that the messages are HTML. In HTML mail, Pegasus Mail does not scan for links, because HTML has a perfectly satisfactory way of specifying links already - via &amp;lt;a&amp;gt; tags. As a result, if someone simply types out a URL in a message then sends that message as HTML, Pegasus Mail will treat the URL as text, not as a link, because that is presumably what the sender meant it to be - it&#039;s not my place to double-guess what the sender intended (believe me, past experience shows that doing so just creates far more pain than it&#039;s worth). For HTML messages, your sender should be using the facilities of his mail program to create hyperlinks properly - if he/she does this, they will work fine in Pegasus Mail. Cheers! -- David --

Would simply like to suggest that changing "text" URLs into hyper-links be added as an option.  This way you don't enter the realm second-guessing anyone and Pegasus can satisfy those of us who have come to "expect" certain behavior from our email clients.  The wisdom of whether this is a good idea can be debated ad infinitum and I don't wish to enter that fray in any way shape or form. [:#]  Hence the desire for "optional" behavior.

Thank you.

&lt;P&gt;Would simply like to suggest that changing &quot;text&quot; URLs into hyper-links be added as an &lt;STRONG&gt;option&lt;/STRONG&gt;.&amp;nbsp; This way you don&#039;t enter the realm second-guessing anyone and Pegasus can satisfy those of us who have come to &quot;expect&quot; certain behavior from our email clients.&amp;nbsp; The wisdom of whether this is a good idea can be debated ad infinitum and I don&#039;t wish to enter that fray in any way shape or form.&amp;nbsp;[:#]&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp;Hence the desire for &quot;optional&quot; behavior.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;Thank you.&lt;/P&gt;

I think DH has already given us the best of both worlds here.  If the link is "unclickable," you can simply highlight it, right click, and select "Open selection as hyperlink..."  This is almost as fast as a double click.

I think DH has already given us the best of both worlds here.&amp;nbsp; If the link is &quot;unclickable,&quot; you can simply highlight it, right click, and select &quot;Open selection as hyperlink...&quot;&amp;nbsp; This is almost as fast as a double click.

Even if the link is "multi lines", AFAIK Pegasus Mail is the only mail client to have this function (copy-past line by line is very borrowing).

Even if the link is &quot;multi lines&quot;, AFAIK Pegasus Mail is the only mail client to have this function (copy-past line by line is very borrowing).
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft