Community Discussions and Support
Painfully Slow Deletion

[quote user="bfluet"]

I am curious whether the delay is there when doing a delete without the message going to the Deleted messages folder (hold the Ctrl key down when clicking Yes in response to the delete confirmation prompt).

[/quote]

This could be it.

Deleting messages also started going slow for me in the last few days.

After reading your post, I went to my Deleted Messages folder and deleted the first message which it did straight away. The second deletion took a bit longer. I then tagged all 1800 odd messages and Pegasus basically froze, although after killing Pegasus, when I fired it back up, there was only 150 odd messages left to delete, so it was just super busy deleting messages.

So after I fired Pegasus back up, I selected about 15 messages in my Deleted Messages folder at a time and deleted them, which it did slowly. After doing that a couple of times I chose the option to Recover Deleted Space on the Deleted Messages folder. This did the trick. All messages I deleted after that, deleted instantly.

So I'm thinking the first problem was the excessive number of messages in the Deleted Messages folder, and the second issue was a fragmented or maybe corrupted Deleted Messages file.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

[quote user="bfluet"]<p>I am curious whether the delay is there when doing a delete without the message going to the Deleted messages folder (hold the Ctrl key down when clicking Yes in response to the delete confirmation prompt).</p><p mce_keep="true"> </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>This could be it.</p><p>Deleting messages also started going slow for me in the last few days.</p><p>After reading your post, I went to my Deleted Messages folder and deleted the first message which it did straight away. The second deletion took a bit longer. I then tagged all 1800 odd messages and Pegasus basically froze, although after killing Pegasus, when I fired it back up, there was only 150 odd messages left to delete, so it was just super busy deleting messages.</p><p>So after I fired Pegasus back up, I selected about 15 messages in my Deleted Messages folder at a time and deleted them, which it did slowly. After doing that a couple of times I chose the option to Recover Deleted Space on the Deleted Messages folder. This did the trick. All messages I deleted after that, deleted instantly.</p><p>So I'm thinking the first problem was the excessive number of messages in the Deleted Messages folder, and the second issue was a fragmented or maybe corrupted Deleted Messages file.</p><p>Hope this helps.</p><p>Cheers</p>

I'm running PMail 4.41 on XP SP2 (details below) and am having a problem with slow deletion.  In  my options, I have "Preserve deleted mesages until Pegaus Mail closes" and "'Deleted Messages" folder persists between sessions" checked.  My mailbox folder is 139 MB, containing 1,132 files.

When I delete a single message from the New Mail (or any other) folder, I get an hour glass cursor, and it takes about 4 seconds.  When I select multiple messages (5-6), it takes about 15 seconds, and the screen goes blank white except for the blue bar at the top and the Windows task bar at the bottom.

The slow deletion has been a problem for some time.  The blank screen during deletion is new.  Needless to say, this behavior is irritating.

Anyone got a cure?

Thanks!

------------------------------------

WinPMail version: Version 4.41 (Win32), Jul 16 2006
Language resources: Standard UK English resource set
Extension Manager version: 1.13
Operating mode: Standalone
User name and ID: Admin, 0
Windows version: 5.1
Windows flag word: 0
WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\Pegasus\Programs
Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin
New mailbox location: C:\Pegasus\MAIL\Admin
TMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\lnelson\LOCALS~1\Temp
TEMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\lnelson\LOCALS~1\Temp
LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N
NetWare MHS support: N, N, N
Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled
  - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0
  - WINSOCK path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.DLL
Commandline: -A
Active -Z options: 32768
PMR variable: (None)
PML variable: (None)
MAI variable: (None)
NB variable: (None)

<p>I'm running PMail 4.41 on XP SP2 (details below) and am having a problem with slow deletion.  In  my options, I have "Preserve deleted mesages until Pegaus Mail closes" and "'Deleted Messages" folder persists between sessions" checked.  My mailbox folder is 139 MB, containing 1,132 files.</p><p>When I delete a single message from the New Mail (or any other) folder, I get an hour glass cursor, and it takes about 4 seconds.  When I select multiple messages (5-6), it takes about 15 seconds, and the screen goes blank white except for the blue bar at the top and the Windows task bar at the bottom.</p><p> The slow deletion has been a problem for some time.  The blank screen during deletion is new.  Needless to say, this behavior is irritating. </p><p> Anyone got a cure?</p><p> Thanks!  ------------------------------------ WinPMail version: Version 4.41 (Win32), Jul 16 2006 Language resources: Standard UK English resource set Extension Manager version: 1.13 Operating mode: Standalone User name and ID: Admin, 0 Windows version: 5.1 Windows flag word: 0 WINPMAIL.EXE directory: C:\Pegasus\Programs Home mailbox location: C:\PMAIL\MAIL\Admin New mailbox location: C:\Pegasus\MAIL\Admin TMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\lnelson\LOCALS~1\Temp TEMP environment variable: C:\DOCUME~1\lnelson\LOCALS~1\Temp LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N NetWare MHS support: N, N, N Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled   - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0   - WINSOCK path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.DLL Commandline: -A Active -Z options: 32768 PMR variable: (None) PML variable: (None) MAI variable: (None) NB variable: (None)  </p>

[quote user="LEN"]

I'm running PMail 4.41 on XP SP2 (details below) and am having a problem with slow deletion.  In  my options, I have "Preserve deleted mesages until Pegaus Mail closes" and "'Deleted Messages" folder persists between sessions" checked.  My mailbox folder is 139 MB, containing 1,132 files.

When I delete a single message from the New Mail (or any other) folder, I get an hour glass cursor, and it takes about 4 seconds.  When I select multiple messages (5-6), it takes about 15 seconds, and the screen goes blank white except for the blue bar at the top and the Windows task bar at the bottom.

The slow deletion has been a problem for some time.  The blank screen during deletion is new.  Needless to say, this behavior is irritating.

Anyone got a cure?

Thanks!

[/quote]

This sounds like the old oplocks problem.  Here's something you might try using RegEdit.  It's actually very easy to do and for me it fixed the one second pause when working with the mail store on a Win2K type server.  You need to create a new DWORD OplocksDisabled and then set it to one. You can do this on the Windows server as well to turn off OPLOCKS for all. 

Configuring opportunistic locking in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;296264

1.     Use REGEDIT and find the following registry entry.  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | System | CurrentControlSet | Services | MRXSmb | Parameters

2.    Select Edit | New | DWORD value

3.    Enter OplocksDisabled for the value name and 1 (Disabled) for the value data.  The default is zero (not disabled)

4.    Exit REGEDIT and reboot your system. 

You can also deny the granting of opportunistic locks on the server by setting the DWORD "EnableOplocks" registry entry to value of zero (Disabled) in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | LanmanServer | Parameters

[quote user="LEN"]<p>I'm running PMail 4.41 on XP SP2 (details below) and am having a problem with slow deletion.  In  my options, I have "Preserve deleted mesages until Pegaus Mail closes" and "'Deleted Messages" folder persists between sessions" checked.  My mailbox folder is 139 MB, containing 1,132 files.</p><p>When I delete a single message from the New Mail (or any other) folder, I get an hour glass cursor, and it takes about 4 seconds.  When I select multiple messages (5-6), it takes about 15 seconds, and the screen goes blank white except for the blue bar at the top and the Windows task bar at the bottom.</p><p> The slow deletion has been a problem for some time.  The blank screen during deletion is new.  Needless to say, this behavior is irritating. </p><p> Anyone got a cure?</p><p> Thanks!  </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>This sounds like the old oplocks problem.  Here's something you might try using RegEdit.  It's actually very easy to do and for me it fixed the one second pause when working with the mail store on a Win2K type server.  You need to create a new DWORD OplocksDisabled and then set it to one. You can do this on the Windows server as well to turn off OPLOCKS for all.  Configuring opportunistic locking in Windows http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;296264 1.     Use REGEDIT and find the following registry entry.  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | System | CurrentControlSet | Services | MRXSmb | Parameters 2.    Select Edit | New | DWORD value 3.    Enter OplocksDisabled for the value name and 1 (Disabled) for the value data.  The default is zero (not disabled) 4.    Exit REGEDIT and reboot your system.  You can also deny the granting of opportunistic locks on the server by setting the DWORD "EnableOplocks" registry entry to value of zero (Disabled) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | LanmanServer | Parameters  </p>

Many thanks, Thomas.  This is helpful.

LEN

<p>Many thanks, Thomas.  This is helpful.</p><p> LEN  </p>

Honestly, I've tried this (adding the DWORD and value under MRXSmb) and after trying it for some time, it seems to make no difference.  I don't know whether I should now add the other DWORD entry.

Anyhow, I'm not understanding why this would affect me, since I'm not using a Windows server.  I'm getting mail from the server at the university where I work via a cable modem connection.  And my Pegasus setup at work does not have this problem.

I'd appreciate it if anyone else has suggestions.  This is driving me nuts!

Many thanks!

<p>Honestly, I've tried this (adding the DWORD and value under MRXSmb) and after trying it for some time, it seems to make no difference.  I don't know whether I should now add the other DWORD entry.</p><p>Anyhow, I'm not understanding why this would affect me, since I'm not using a Windows server.  I'm getting mail from the server at the university where I work via a cable modem connection.  And my Pegasus setup at work does not have this problem.</p><p>I'd appreciate it if anyone else has suggestions.  This is driving me nuts!</p><p>Many thanks!  </p>

You may want to loot at this thread which talks about a very slow Pegasus due to a faulty printer driver.  Hope it helps!

You may want to loot at <a href="/forums/thread/2611.aspx" mce_href="/forums/thread/2611.aspx">this thread</a> which talks about a very slow Pegasus due to a faulty printer driver.  Hope it helps!

Also, for those who have their mailbox files shared across a LAN using a Samba server, here's how to configure Samba so that you don't have to entirely disable oplocks.  (It disables oplocks only for the affected Pegasus/Mercury files.)

Pegasus slow deleting messages

<p>Also, for those who have their mailbox files shared across a LAN using a Samba server, here's how to configure Samba so that you don't have to entirely disable oplocks.  (It disables oplocks only for the affected Pegasus/Mercury files.)</p> <p><a href="http://community.pmail.com/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=11582#11582" mce_href="http://community.pmail.com/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=11582#11582">Pegasus slow deleting messages</a></p>

I'm also a victim of the "slow deletion" hassle. And it is a hassle.  I'm running PM 4.63 on a Windows 7 SP1 desktop PC.  I've followed the OpLock suggestions listed above and here:

Windows

Vista and Windows 7 – Locate the "Run" command by clicking

Start, then All Programs, then Accessories, then Run.  Enter "regedit"

into the Run box to start the registry editor.  Windows will ask

for your consent to proceed.  Click Continue.  Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

tree, then System, CurrentControlSet, Services and mrxsmb.  If there

is no "Parameters" key under mrxsmb then select mrxsmb and choose

New/Key from the Edit menu.  Enter "Parameters" as the

key name.  With the Parameters key highlighted in the left hand pane,

select New/DWord value from the Edit menu and enter "OplocksDisabled",

exactly as shown, press Enter, then select Modify from the Edit menu,

enter "1" for the Value data, and click on "OK".  Verify

that the entry you just made has a data value of 0x00000001.

However, no success. I then installed the latest Lexmark printer driver and rebooted the system. Again, no improvement.  Any other suggestions?  It takes about 5 seconds per email to delete.

<p>I'm also a victim of the "slow deletion" hassle. And it is a hassle.  I'm running PM 4.63 on a Windows 7 SP1 desktop PC.  I've followed the OpLock suggestions listed above and <a href="http://www.cwcsoftware.com/webhelp/Install/Opportunistic_locking.htm" target="_blank" mce_href="http://www.cwcsoftware.com/webhelp/Install/Opportunistic_locking.htm">here</a>:</p><p style="margin-left: 40px;"><span style="font-weight: bold;"><b>Windows Vista and Windows 7</b></span> – Locate the "Run" command by clicking Start, then All Programs, then Accessories, then Run.  Enter "regedit" into the Run box to start the registry editor.  Windows will ask for your consent to proceed.  Click Continue.  Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE tree, then System, CurrentControlSet, Services and mrxsmb.  If there is no "Parameters" key under mrxsmb then select mrxsmb and choose New/Key from the Edit menu.  Enter "Parameters" as the key name.  With the Parameters key highlighted in the left hand pane, select New/DWord value from the Edit menu and enter "OplocksDisabled", exactly as shown, press Enter, then select Modify from the Edit menu, enter "1" for the Value data, and click on "OK".  Verify that the entry you just made has a data value of 0x00000001. </p><p>However, no success. I then installed the latest Lexmark printer driver and rebooted the system. Again, no improvement.  Any other suggestions?  It takes about 5 seconds per email to delete. </p>

I am curious whether the delay is there when doing a delete without the message going to the Deleted messages folder (hold the Ctrl key down when clicking Yes in response to the delete confirmation prompt).

<p>I am curious whether the delay is there when doing a delete without the message going to the Deleted messages folder (hold the Ctrl key down when clicking Yes in response to the delete confirmation prompt).</p><p> </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft