Community Discussions and Support
Virscan 492 difficulty

Thanks Irelam. Finally got it sorted. Vista seems determined to make things twice as complex as they ought to be. Anyway, Virscan safely ensconced and working well. Thanks again.

Thanks Irelam. Finally got it sorted. Vista seems determined to make things twice as complex as they ought to be. Anyway, Virscan safely ensconced and working well. Thanks again.

I have installed pegasus into c:\Program Files\Pmail and have my mail folder in F:\PMAIL\mail. I'm sure I'm being thick but I can't seem to get Virscan to work on my new Windows Vista laptop. If I put the virscan files into the c:\Program Files\Pmail\Programs folder and then try to edit virscan.ini to set up AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, the system refuses to allow me to do this (and yes I am logged in as administrator). In desperation I tried putting the files into the F:\Pmail\mail folder where the system this time allows me to edit the virscan.ini file, but I can't seem to get virscan to run. I know I didn't have this trouble on my old Windows XP machine (oh for the good old days!).

Could some soul brighter than me give me a pointer?

<P>I have installed pegasus into c:\Program Files\Pmail and have my mail folder in F:\PMAIL\mail. I'm sure I'm being thick but I can't seem to get Virscan to work on my new Windows Vista laptop. If I put the virscan files into the c:\Program Files\Pmail\Programs folder and then try to edit virscan.ini to set up AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, the system refuses to allow me to do this (and yes I am logged in as administrator). In desperation I tried putting the files into the F:\Pmail\mail folder where the system this time allows me to edit the virscan.ini file, but I can't seem to get virscan to run. I know I didn't have this trouble on my old Windows XP machine (oh for the good old days!).</P> <P>Could some soul brighter than me give me a pointer?</P>

Hello,

First thing to ask is where do you have Virscan.ini and Virscan.fff installed.  In both of these text files are lines with directory and filename information. When you first start up Pegasus Mail do you see a message "Virscan ready" on the Pegasus Mail status line?

Depending on your answers will show us which way to focus our questions

Martin

<p>Hello,</p><p>   First thing to ask is where do you have Virscan.ini and Virscan.fff installed.  In both of these text files are lines with directory and filename information. When you first start up Pegasus Mail do you see a message "Virscan ready" on the Pegasus Mail status line?</p><p>Depending on your answers will show us which way to focus our questions</p><p>Martin   </p>

Further to my previous post, I noted you were having problems updating/editing config files.  In some versions of Vista you cannot edit anything inside the Program Files directory tree once a program suite is installed. You are supposed to use the Documents and Settings directory tree for that.

Martin 

<p>Further to my previous post, I noted you were having problems updating/editing config files.  In some versions of Vista you cannot edit anything inside the Program Files directory tree once a program suite is installed. You are supposed to use the Documents and Settings directory tree for that.</p><p>Martin </p>

Thanks for the reply Irelam. I guess you've hit the nail on the head, and I had rather dreaded the fact, that it's not possible to edit anything inside the Program Files directory. I'm not sure I understand your last comment about using the Documents & Settings directory tree though. Surely if I cannot edit a file in the Program Files directory then using Virscan is a dead-duck (at least for the set-up I've used to install Pmail)?

Thanks for the reply Irelam. I guess you've hit the nail on the head, and I had rather dreaded the fact, that it's not possible to edit anything inside the Program Files directory. I'm not sure I understand your last comment about using the Documents & Settings directory tree though. Surely if I cannot edit a file in the Program Files directory then using Virscan is a dead-duck (at least for the set-up I've used to install Pmail)?

The simplest solution is to move the virscan.ini to your newmail directory (which must already have read+write permissions).  Virscan looks there for the Virscan.ini

Martin 

<p>The simplest solution is to move the virscan.ini to your newmail directory (which must already have read+write permissions).  Virscan looks there for the Virscan.ini</p><p> </p><p>Martin </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft