Community Discussions and Support
How to delete a IMAP folder

As of today Jan. 2010 the problem described still exists.

Server=Mercury/32 v4.72; client=Thunderbird 3.

I could find only one solution to prevent the name of a deleted IMAP folder to reappear forever: edit manually IMAPSUB.PM in the MAIL dir on the server and remove the line corresponding to the deleted folder.

1) I also saw a similar problem revolving around the management of IMAPSUB.PM: I move a message-only folder under a folder-only folder, then it is impossible to subscribe to it. I.e, I subscribe, it shows up, next time I start TB it is gone, must subscribe again.

Cause: IMAPSUB.PM was never modified by my subscription. Yet the account running Mercury/32 has all rights on that file.

2) The renaming of a folder-only folders is also not working (message-only folder can be renamed though): it is refused by the server.

3) the similar issue described in thread http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/21215.aspx is also still relevant today.

4) the issue on hierarch.pm described in thread http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/2634.aspx of 2007 is also still relevant today: yesterday I saw that all IMAP sub-folders containing messages were moved (by Mercury?) under Mailbox, the tree structure still appearing in IMAPSUB.PM but emptied.
I.E. all folders in hierarch.pm appeared as :

0,0,"38488A1:165E:FOL0027E","231A164:My Mailbox",...

JF

<p>As of today Jan. 2010 the problem described still exists.</p><p>Server=Mercury/32 v4.72; client=Thunderbird 3.</p><p>I could find only one solution to prevent the name of a deleted IMAP folder to reappear forever: <b>edit manually IMAPSUB.PM </b>in the MAIL dir on the server and remove the line corresponding to the deleted folder.</p><p>1) I also saw a similar problem revolving around the management of IMAPSUB.PM: I move a message-only folder under a folder-only folder, then it is impossible to subscribe to it. I.e, I subscribe, it shows up, next time I start TB <b>it is gone</b>, must subscribe again. Cause: IMAPSUB.PM was never modified by my subscription. Yet the account running Mercury/32 has all rights on that file. </p><p>2) The renaming of a folder-only folders is also not working (message-only folder can be renamed though): it is refused by the server. </p><p>3) the similar issue described in thread http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/21215.aspx is also still relevant today.</p><p>4) the issue on <b>hierarch.pm</b> described in thread http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/2634.aspx of 2007 is also still relevant today: yesterday I saw that all IMAP sub-folders containing messages were moved (by Mercury?) under Mailbox, the tree structure still appearing in IMAPSUB.PM but emptied. I.E. all folders in hierarch.pm appeared as :</p><p>0,0,"38488A1:165E:FOL0027E","231A164:<b>My Mailbox</b>",... </p><p>JF </p><p> </p>

Hello,

I've got a pretty simple question: till now i just don't succeed in deleting a folder from the IMAP server.
I can unsubscribe from the mail client but the folder is still in the IMAP directory. With thunderbird the folder just appears again when I start it up again.
I guess there is a simple solution for this..

Thanks! 

<p>Hello,</p><p>I've got a pretty simple question: till now i just don't succeed in deleting a folder from the IMAP server. I can unsubscribe from the mail client but the folder is still in the IMAP directory. With thunderbird the folder just appears again when I start it up again. I guess there is a simple solution for this..</p><p>Thanks! </p>

I  have just tried it with Thunderbird 2..0.0.5 and it worked. It also works with Pegasus mail and also with our webmail interface.

Have you deleted the folder with Thunderbird or with another email client? Which Version of Mercury/32 and Thunderbird do you use ?

Thomas

<p>I  have just tried it with Thunderbird 2..0.0.5 and it worked. It also works with Pegasus mail and also with our webmail interface.</p><p>Have you deleted the folder with Thunderbird or with another email client? Which Version of Mercury/32 and Thunderbird do you use ?</p><p>Thomas </p>

May I suggest that you check the directory permissions on the mercury server.   Does the account running Mercury have the right to delete files?   When you are using IMAP it is the account running the server NOT the account running the email client which needs these rights.   Incidentally not giving delete rights to the account running the server could be one way to provide a low level of protection from outsiders who managed to hack in being able to delete stuff.   But of course that is not a problem because you are archiving all mail when it comes in and using sTr0nG IMAP account passwords are you not!

May I suggest that you check the directory permissions on the mercury server.  <b> Does the account running Mercury have the right to delete files?</b>   When you are using IMAP it is the account running the server NOT the account running the email client which needs these rights.   Incidentally not giving delete rights to the account running the server could be one way to provide a low level of protection from outsiders who managed to hack in being able to delete stuff.   But of course that is not a problem because you are archiving all mail when it comes in and using sTr0nG IMAP account passwords are you not!

Sorry for this late response.

I can't find a section for user rights in Mercury. The only thing I can find is under Configuration --> Manage Local Users ...  All users have "administrator privileges (for Pegasus Mail)" and are password protected.

It is a very strange situation: when I create a folder in Thunderbird with the option 'messages only' and then delete it, the next time I start up thunderbird, the folder appears again but in gray. I can't store anything in it. When I delete it again, it just keeps appearing again when I re-start up Thunderbird (also in gray).
Another strange thing is that this folder isn't visible in Pegasus Mail.

Now, I tried another thing. I created a (sub)folder in Thunderbird with the name 'folder1' with option 'messages only'.
Then I delete it (folder1).
Re-start up thunderbird (folder 'folder1' appears again but in gray).
I create another folder (on the same level as 'folder1') and named it 'folder2', this time with the option 'folders only'.
Then I delete it (folder2).
Re-start up thunderbird: folder1 is deleted but folder2 re-appears in gray.

I have played with this in the last hour but I can't see any pattern, when I randomly create folders, delete a couple, re-start up thunderbird a couple of times, delete some others, re-start up thunderbird again, some folders have dissapeared, some not.
I also notice that when I remove a folder in Thunderbird and rightclick on the account and click on 'subscribe' , most folders I have ever created are still visible in the list , but in gray, I can't subscribe or unsubscribe from them (checkbox is missing). But some folders are effectively deleted (don't know how I did it, just randomly create and delete folders).

Maybe somebody know how to delete folder within Mercury or from another application?

Thanks. 

<p>Sorry for this late response.</p><p>I can't find a section for user rights in Mercury. The only thing I can find is under Configuration --> Manage Local Users ...  All users have "administrator privileges (for Pegasus Mail)" and are password protected.</p><p>It is a very strange situation: when I create a folder in Thunderbird with the option 'messages only' and then delete it, the next time I start up thunderbird, the folder appears again but in gray. I can't store anything in it. When I delete it again, it just keeps appearing again when I re-start up Thunderbird (also in gray). Another strange thing is that this folder isn't visible in Pegasus Mail.</p><p>Now, I tried another thing. I created a (sub)folder in Thunderbird with the name 'folder1' with option 'messages only'. Then I delete it (folder1). Re-start up thunderbird (folder 'folder1' appears again but in gray). I create another folder (on the same level as 'folder1') and named it 'folder2', this time with the option 'folders only'. Then I delete it (folder2). Re-start up thunderbird: folder1 is deleted but folder2 re-appears in gray.</p><p>I have played with this in the last hour but I can't see any pattern, when I randomly create folders, delete a couple, re-start up thunderbird a couple of times, delete some others, re-start up thunderbird again, some folders have dissapeared, some not. I also notice that when I remove a folder in Thunderbird and rightclick on the account and click on 'subscribe' , most folders I have ever created are still visible in the list , but in gray, I can't subscribe or unsubscribe from them (checkbox is missing). But some folders are effectively deleted (don't know how I did it, just randomly create and delete folders).</p><p>Maybe somebody know how to delete folder within Mercury or from another application?</p><p>Thanks. </p><p>  </p>

[quote user="Thomas Richter"]

I  have just tried it with Thunderbird

2..0.0.5 and it worked. It also works with Pegasus mail and also with

our webmail interface.

Have you deleted the folder with

Thunderbird or with another email client? Which Version of Mercury/32

and Thunderbird do you use ?

Thomas

[/quote]

I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (when I first encountered the problem I was using 2.0.0.5) and Mercury 4.51 for windows.

[quote user="chriscw"]May I suggest that you check the directory permissions on the mercury server.   Does the account running Mercury have the right to delete files? 
[/quote]

Where can I find the directory permissions on the mercury server?

The account running mercury.exe is 'SYSTEM'. I believe that this is a build-in windows user that has delete-rights, but don't know for sure.

<p>[quote user="Thomas Richter"]</p><p>I  have just tried it with Thunderbird 2..0.0.5 and it worked. It also works with Pegasus mail and also with our webmail interface.</p><p>Have you deleted the folder with Thunderbird or with another email client? Which Version of Mercury/32 and Thunderbird do you use ?</p><p>Thomas </p><p>[/quote]</p><p>I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (when I first encountered the problem I was using 2.0.0.5) and Mercury 4.51 for windows. </p><p> </p><p>[quote user="chriscw"]May I suggest that you check the directory permissions on the mercury server.  <b> Does the account running Mercury have the right to delete files?</b>  [/quote]</p><p>Where can I find the directory permissions on the mercury server?</p><p>The account running mercury.exe is 'SYSTEM'. I believe that this is a build-in windows user that has delete-rights, but don't know for sure.  </p>

1. This is most likely a cacheing issue with thunderbird. Try deleting all the *.msf files in your thunderbird profile for this account.

2. Could also be incompleted IMAP transactions with the merc server. You can check in HIERARCH.PM & IMAPSUB.PM for incorrect/orphaned entries (note the existance of the files FOL*.(PMI,PMM,PNM)). Any deleted folders still appearing in these files can be manually removed (just be careful not to break the real entries). If these are all correct then the problem is definately No.1

<p>1. This is most likely a cacheing issue with thunderbird. Try deleting all the *.msf files in your thunderbird profile for this account.</p><p>2. Could also be incompleted IMAP transactions with the merc server. You can check in HIERARCH.PM & IMAPSUB.PM for incorrect/orphaned entries (note the existance of the files FOL*.(PMI,PMM,PNM)). Any deleted folders still appearing in these files can be manually removed (just be careful not to break the real entries). If these are all correct then the problem is definately No.1</p><p> </p>

Sorry I did not make that very clear did I I was talking about the security settings for the directory where the emailis on the sever so go to the mailbox folder right click and choose properties then go to the security tab in the properties dialog.   However from your description that is probably not your problem.

It is however possible to deny these rights to the SYSTEM account in the directory security for active directory.   We do not do that but we do use directory permissions to ensure that as a rule users cannot access each other's email accounts.

<p>Sorry I did not make that very clear did I I was talking about the security settings for the directory where the emailis on the sever so go to the mailbox folder right click and choose properties then go to the security tab in the properties dialog.   However from your description that is probably not your problem.</p><p>It is however possible to deny these rights to the SYSTEM account in the directory security for active directory.   We do not do that but we do use directory permissions to ensure that as a rule users cannot access each other's email accounts. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft