Community Discussions and Support
Mercury Content Control Set not detecting To field properly

Bingo, that's the solution. I have about 5 domains that the email server handles so just like you have above I link them together with 'ANDNOT'. So far this seems to be working. Thanks for your input on this!

Chris 

<p>Bingo, that's the solution. I have about 5 domains that the email server handles so just like you have above I link them together with 'ANDNOT'. So far this seems to be working. Thanks for your input on this!</p><p> </p><p>Chris </p>

In Mercury/32 v4.01b, I have a content control set with a message test as:
IF RECIPIENT CONTAINS "myemailname@" WEIGHT 60.
It seems spammers easily get around this by having another random email address in the To field, while the actual email address still comes to me. Mercury adds the X-Envelope-To header which has my actual 'myemailname@' email address.

The header looks like:
Received: from spooler by www.xxx-xxxxxxx.com (Mercury/32 v4.01b); 30 Jul 2007 01:43:08 -0600
X-Envelope-To: <myemailname@xxxxxxx.com>   <--- actual email adress it ends up going to, i.e. me
Return-path: <jr@cgafin.com.au>
Message-ID: <035701c7d275$8c1ebde0$d3f23a69@Lisa>
To: "Mildred N. Haney" <tours@marketresearch.ru>   <--random email address here fools content control set RECIPIENT test

So my question is how can I test for the email address this email is actually going to go to? If mercury can only test on the To header field then it doesn't help much. It does not appear that I can test for a mismatch either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris

&lt;p&gt;In Mercury/32 v4.01b, I have a content control set with a message test as: IF RECIPIENT CONTAINS &quot;myemailname@&quot; WEIGHT 60. It seems spammers easily get around this by having another random email address in the To field, while the actual email address still comes to me. Mercury adds the X-Envelope-To header which has my actual &#039;myemailname@&#039; email address. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;The header looks like: Received: from spooler by www.xxx-xxxxxxx.com (Mercury/32 v4.01b); 30 Jul 2007 01:43:08 -0600 X-Envelope-To: &amp;lt;myemailname@xxxxxxx.com&amp;gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;lt;--- actual email adress it ends up going to, i.e. me Return-path: &amp;lt;jr@cgafin.com.au&amp;gt; Message-ID: &amp;lt;035701c7d275$8c1ebde0$d3f23a69@Lisa&amp;gt; From: &quot;Lisa M. Sosa&quot; &amp;lt;Lisa@cgafin.com.au&amp;gt; To: &quot;Mildred N. Haney&quot; &amp;lt;tours@marketresearch.ru&amp;gt;&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; &amp;lt;--random email address here fools content control set RECIPIENT test So my question is how can I test for the email address this email is actually going to go to? If mercury can only test on the To header field then it doesn&#039;t help much. It does not appear that I can test for a mismatch either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Chris &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Mercury only adds the 'X-Envelope-To:' header just before delivery to a mailbox, so it is never 'there' for filtering or CC.

If you collect from a POP box your ISP may have added a header, but for SMTP processing I think there is at least one daemon around that will add an envelope header.  (Have a look at PopfileD.)

&lt;P&gt;Mercury only adds the &#039;X-Envelope-To:&#039; header just before delivery to a mailbox, so it is never &#039;there&#039; for filtering or CC.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;If you collect from a POP box your ISP may have added a header, but for SMTP processing I think there is at least one daemon around that will add an envelope header.&amp;nbsp; (Have a look at PopfileD.)&lt;/P&gt;

Hello! [quote user="cschiller"]

In Mercury/32 v4.01b, I have a content control set with a message test as:
IF RECIPIENT CONTAINS "myemailname@" WEIGHT 60.
It seems spammers easily get around this by having another random email address in the To field, while the actual email address still comes to me. Mercury adds the X-Envelope-To header which has my actual 'myemailname@' email address.

[...]

It does not appear that I can test for a mismatch either.

[/quote] Myself, I have not used Mercury much (because of my low e-mail traffic, so I simply use Pegasus Mail to handle that).
As far as I know, Pegasus Mail has the same syntax for content control than Mercury does. As I have a lot of content control rules (in Pegasus Mail), I am somewhat experienced and can (hopefully) provide an answer, given that Pegasus Mail and Mercury share the same syntax for content control rules.

You said that you could not test for a mismatch in content control. What about an IFNOT-rule? Such a rule could look like that:
IFNOT RECIPIENT CONTAINS "good_address_of_yours@invalid.com" WEIGHT 60

The basic idea is that a message that does not contain your e-mail address anywhere in the most important header entries is suspicious (hence getting a high content control value). A content control rule to check for the absence of your address would also have to check other headers in which your address may occur, like "Cc:", "Bcc:" and "Resent-to:".

The short rule I have mentioned above could be like this then:
IFNOT RECIPIENT CONTAINS "good_address_of_yours@invalid.com"
ANDNOT HEADER "cc" CONTAINS "good_address_of_yours@invalid.com"
ANDNOT HEADER "bcc" CONTAINS "good_address_of_yours@invalid.com"
ANDNOT HEADER "resent-to" CONTAINS "good_address_of_yours@invalid.com"
WEIGHT 60
You probably get the idea. You may also find some other headers to add to this rule when reading the raw view of your messages.

Note that the headers may not contain your address at all under certain circumstances.
For example: if you are subscribed to a mailing list, the e-mail message you are finally getting may not have your address in it (unless your server has added something like "X-originally-to:" or a similar header). Therefore, a messages from a mailing list will fail the test I have given above - so it is a good idea to add "good" addresses to your Global Whitelist; and as far as mailing list is concerned, a "good" address may also be hidden in the "Sender:"- or the "Return-path:"-header of a mailing list message.

I hope this helps.

Hello! [quote user=&quot;cschiller&quot;]&lt;P&gt;In Mercury/32 v4.01b, I have a content control set with a message test as: IF RECIPIENT CONTAINS &quot;myemailname@&quot; WEIGHT 60. It seems spammers easily get around this by having another random email address in the To field, while the actual email address still comes to me. Mercury adds the X-Envelope-To header which has my actual &#039;myemailname@&#039; email address. &lt;/P&gt;&lt;P&gt;[...] It does not appear that I can test for a mismatch either.&lt;/P&gt;[/quote]&nbsp;Myself,&nbsp;I&nbsp;have&nbsp;not&nbsp;used&nbsp;Mercury&nbsp;much&nbsp;(because&nbsp;of&nbsp;my&nbsp;low&nbsp;e-mail&nbsp;traffic, so I simply use Pegasus Mail to handle that). As far as I know, Pegasus Mail has the same syntax for content control than Mercury does. As I have a lot of content control rules (in Pegasus Mail), I am somewhat experienced and can (hopefully) provide an answer, given that Pegasus Mail and Mercury share the same syntax for content control rules. You said that you could not test for a mismatch in content control. What about an IFNOT-rule? Such a rule could look like that: IFNOT RECIPIENT CONTAINS &quot;good_address_of_yours@invalid.com&quot; WEIGHT 60 The basic idea is that a message that does not contain your e-mail address anywhere in the most important header entries is suspicious (hence getting a high content control value). A content control rule to check for the absence of your address would also have to check other headers in which your address may occur, like &quot;Cc:&quot;, &quot;Bcc:&quot; and &quot;Resent-to:&quot;. The short rule I have mentioned above could be like this then: IFNOT RECIPIENT CONTAINS &quot;good_address_of_yours@invalid.com&quot; ANDNOT HEADER &quot;cc&quot; CONTAINS &quot;good_address_of_yours@invalid.com&quot; ANDNOT HEADER &quot;bcc&quot; CONTAINS &quot;good_address_of_yours@invalid.com&quot; ANDNOT HEADER &quot;resent-to&quot; CONTAINS &quot;good_address_of_yours@invalid.com&quot; WEIGHT 60 You probably get the idea. You may also find some other headers to add to this rule when reading the raw view of your messages. Note that the headers may not contain your address at all under certain circumstances. For example: if you are subscribed to a mailing list, the e-mail message you are finally getting may not have your address in it (unless your server has added something like &quot;X-originally-to:&quot; or a similar header). Therefore, a messages from a mailing list will fail the test I have given above - so it is a good idea to add &quot;good&quot; addresses to your Global Whitelist; and as far as mailing list is concerned, a &quot;good&quot; address may also be hidden in the &quot;Sender:&quot;- or the &quot;Return-path:&quot;-header of a mailing list message. I hope this helps.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft