Community Discussions and Support
Mercury and NT4's Future ???

[quote user="Curt Cuppels"]

Thanks David. I basically knew the answer when asking the question but wanted to hear from the developer first. I scrounged up Win2K Pro to replace NT4 and TLS works just fine on that. Recent mailing list conversation concerning Mercury running on wine in Linux also prompted me to test that, seeing that I run several linux boxes. I brought up Mercury v4.52 through wine in Fedora 7. I am running with Spamhalter, Clamwall ( with clamav installed on wine too). Everything seems to be working quite fine, including TLS. To keep from having to run as root on the mail server I port forwarded ports 25, 110, etc. to ports above 1023 off my IPCop firewall/router box. Maybe I didn't need to get that Win2K disk after all.

Thanks again,

Curt

[/quote]

I'm still working on the ports with my Ubuntu setup.  It's not a big deal right now since almost nothing comes in via the external ports and Pegasus Mail sends via the queue.  If push come to shove I'll do this with port forwarding like you have done to ports a normal user can use.  That said, since my Ubuntu system is way behind a firewall/router the bad guys will have a tough time getting to anything on this system even though I am running as root.  Nothing on this system is accessible outside the local lan. 

I was really surprised how well Mercury/32 installs and runs on a Linux system.  I know diddly about Linux and I got this up and running in less than a couple of hours after installing Ubuntu and Wine.

[quote user="Curt Cuppels"]<p>Thanks David. I basically knew the answer when asking the question but wanted to hear from the developer first. I scrounged up Win2K Pro to replace NT4 and TLS works just fine on that. Recent mailing list conversation concerning Mercury running on wine in Linux also prompted me to test that, seeing that I run several linux boxes. I brought up Mercury v4.52 through wine in Fedora 7. I am running with Spamhalter, Clamwall ( with clamav installed on wine too). Everything seems to be working quite fine, including TLS. To keep from having to run as root on the mail server I port forwarded ports 25, 110, etc. to ports above 1023 off my IPCop firewall/router box. Maybe I didn't need to get that Win2K disk after all.</p><p>Thanks again,</p><p>     Curt </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>I'm still working on the ports with my Ubuntu setup.  It's not a big deal right now since almost nothing comes in via the external ports and Pegasus Mail sends via the queue.  If push come to shove I'll do this with port forwarding like you have done to ports a normal user can use.  That said, since my Ubuntu system is way behind a firewall/router the bad guys will have a tough time getting to anything on this system even though I am running as root.  Nothing on this system is accessible outside the local lan. </p><p>I was really surprised how well Mercury/32 installs and runs on a Linux system.  I know diddly about Linux and I got this up and running in less than a couple of hours after installing Ubuntu and Wine.</p><p> </p>

David,

Is there anything being done (if anything can be done) to cure the TLS problem with v4.51 on NT4? I'm just trying to find out if this is an illness that's going to require an OS upgrade to cure or if we can look forward to a Mercury or NT4 fix for the problem. Going with Mercury v4.01a-b-c as a short term cure is okay but there's the future to consider too. As it stands right now, NT4 users needing a function are having to fore go the enhancements of a newer Mercury version to have it. Is there a plan to remedy this or is this simply going to be the way it is in the future for someone with NT4 boxes? Is it time to abandon NT4 if we want to take full advantage of Mercury's future versions?

Curt Cuppels 

<p> David,</p><p>Is there anything being done (if anything can be done) to cure the TLS problem with v4.51 on NT4? I'm just trying to find out if this is an illness that's going to require an OS upgrade to cure or if we can look forward to a Mercury or NT4 fix for the problem. Going with Mercury v4.01a-b-c as a short term cure is okay but there's the future to consider too. As it stands right now, NT4 users needing a function are having to fore go the enhancements of a newer Mercury version to have it. Is there a plan to remedy this or is this simply going to be the way it is in the future for someone with NT4 boxes? Is it time to abandon NT4 if we want to take full advantage of Mercury's future versions?</p><p>Curt Cuppels </p>

It's very unlikely that I can do anything about this, sorry. All the crypto stuff (including SSL and certificate management) is actually handled by the CryptLib libraries I use, and it appears that the developer has stopped support NT4.

I can take it up on the cryptlib discussion list, but I can't offer any kind of certainty that a solution will be forthcoming. In fairness, NT4 is now an EOL (end-of-life) product and I suspect you'll find that an increasing number of applications are going to come out that no longer support it.

I'll see what I can do for you, though.

Cheers!

-- David --

It's very unlikely that I can do anything about this, sorry. All the crypto stuff (including SSL and certificate management) is actually handled by the CryptLib libraries I use, and it appears that the developer has stopped support NT4. I can take it up on the cryptlib discussion list, but I can't offer any kind of certainty that a solution will be forthcoming. In fairness, NT4 is now an EOL (end-of-life) product and I suspect you'll find that an increasing number of applications are going to come out that no longer support it. I'll see what I can do for you, though. Cheers! -- David --

Thanks David. I basically knew the answer when asking the question but wanted to hear from the developer first. I scrounged up Win2K Pro to replace NT4 and TLS works just fine on that. Recent mailing list conversation concerning Mercury running on wine in Linux also prompted me to test that, seeing that I run several linux boxes. I brought up Mercury v4.52 through wine in Fedora 7. I am running with Spamhalter, Clamwall ( with clamav installed on wine too). Everything seems to be working quite fine, including TLS. To keep from having to run as root on the mail server I port forwarded ports 25, 110, etc. to ports above 1023 off my IPCop firewall/router box. Maybe I didn't need to get that Win2K disk afterall.

Thanks again,

Curt

<p>Thanks David. I basically knew the answer when asking the question but wanted to hear from the developer first. I scrounged up Win2K Pro to replace NT4 and TLS works just fine on that. Recent mailing list conversation concerning Mercury running on wine in Linux also prompted me to test that, seeing that I run several linux boxes. I brought up Mercury v4.52 through wine in Fedora 7. I am running with Spamhalter, Clamwall ( with clamav installed on wine too). Everything seems to be working quite fine, including TLS. To keep from having to run as root on the mail server I port forwarded ports 25, 110, etc. to ports above 1023 off my IPCop firewall/router box. Maybe I didn't need to get that Win2K disk afterall.</p><p>Thanks again,</p><p>     Curt  </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft