Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Mail forwarding bug

Hey,

point well taken. But in any case PMail should *not* rename whatever attachment there was with the original message.

Nowadays if people get attachments with names like "WPM$4C87.PM$", that can cause quite a lot of confusion and security concerns, especially if the sender does not mention in his mail that he attached anything to the message at all.

lazy

Hey, point well taken. But in any case PMail should *not* rename whatever attachment there was with the original message. Nowadays if people get attachments with names like "WPM$4C87.PM$", that can cause quite a lot of confusion and security concerns, especially if the sender does not mention in his mail that he attached anything to the message at all. lazy

Hello

Today I discovered a bug which might be considered to be removed in future versions.

When forwarding a plain-text e-mail (non-HTML) that does not have any attachments at all, if the option "forward any attachments the message has as well" is checked, the new message that is being sent actually does contain an attachment. It turns out that this attachment contains the text of the original message, but the attachment's name is something like "WPM$4C87.PM$", which is obviously a temporary file name. This caused some confusion on my boss' end today who uses Outlook and actually called me from her office to enquire what kind of attachment I had sent to her. The forwarded message appeared in the body of my e-mail as it was supposed to, but it was also additionally attached to the message.

If the above-mentioned option is unchecked, there will be no "temp" attachment in the new message. I tried this with several different e-mails from different senders.

Maybe in a future version, PMail could be made to not make up attachments when there really aren't any.

lazy

Hello Today I discovered a bug which might be considered to be removed in future versions. When forwarding a plain-text e-mail (non-HTML) that does not have any attachments at all, if the option "forward any attachments the message has as well" is checked, the new message that is being sent actually does contain an attachment. It turns out that this attachment contains the text of the original message, but the attachment's name is something like "WPM$4C87.PM$", which is obviously a temporary file name. This caused some confusion on my boss' end today who uses Outlook and actually called me from her office to enquire what kind of attachment I had sent to her. The forwarded message appeared in the body of my e-mail as it was supposed to, but it was also additionally attached to the message. If the above-mentioned option is unchecked, there will be no "temp" attachment in the new message. I tried this with several different e-mails from different senders. Maybe in a future version, PMail could be made to not make up attachments when there really aren't any. lazy

I agree that this is annoying, but I think the fault is not with Pmail, but with the way the original message was formatted.  Many email programs and web-based email systems create two copies of the message -- one in plain text and another in html or rich text, and sets these up as actual attachments to an otherwise blank message.  As they are identified as attachments, Pmail dutifully attached them to the outgoing email.

Not sure there is an easy way to distinguish between an "attachment" that is really an alternate version of the original message, and something that was explicitly attached to the original message by the sender.

Just my take on this -- I do not speak for David Harris.

<p>I agree that this is annoying, but I think the fault is not with Pmail, but with the way the original message was formatted.  Many email programs and web-based email systems create two copies of the message -- one in plain text and another in html or rich text, and sets these up as actual attachments to an otherwise blank message.  As they are identified as attachments, Pmail dutifully attached them to the outgoing email.</p><p>Not sure there is an easy way to distinguish between an "attachment" that is really an alternate version of the original message, and something that was explicitly attached to the original message by the sender.</p><p> Just my take on this -- I do not speak for David Harris. </p>
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft